Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Life in Northern Ireland  (Read 1715 times)

Life in Northern Ireland
« on: August 07, 2003, 02:21:46 PM »
Ok so upon moving here l was presented with mixed views on living here in NI. Granted l knew of the past history and such and prepared myself for life here as this is the country l fell in love with!  

When l first came here l came face to face with a military man carrying an M-16 rifle. (shock at first) especially when you see other military men walking around the streets carrying them too. Then it passes and you adjust. Now, this doesn't happen everyday about once a week you see the military walking the streets. You do see the military men in these strange trucks, two men placed on top and the only thing you see is the top of their helmets and the rifles driving in 3's around the towns, ok you pay no attention. While driving between towns you sometimes get the military stopping traffic, most of the time you just smile and they wave you on, sometimes they stop you and ask, where are you from? what are you doing? "Nothing sir, l live at such and such address"
they let you pass. You do get the occasional helicopter flying by, But........what you don't expect is............

to see Helicopters landing in the field in front of your house, dropping military men off and them scattering into the fields surrounding your house! :o Then about 15-20 mins later, helicopters returning to pick up said men and then dropping off more! They keep doing this for about 2 hours more!  Ummmmmmmmm kind of makes you a little nervous, considering you are in the house alone. Actually, to be honest, it was a little exciting!! All those men!!    [smiley=evilgrin.gif] 

Oh yeah um forgot---Me is married!   :-/

But please don't let this put you off coming to NI, it is a beautiful country that one should not miss. l just wanted to add a little bit about life here! But it is comforting to know that if you ever break down on the side of the street, the military will show up faster than AA!! lol  :D

« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 02:25:40 PM by Trish »

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 0
Re: Life in Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 03:19:53 PM »
Wow.  I think it'd be a little scary... and a little exciting.

Mostly scary though.  I guess I just still have the pesky fear of death thing.

Tell you what, I'll come to NI if I can stay with you and you'll take me places.  Otherwise, HECK NO!  ;D  Nah, I'm kidding.  I'll probably see it eventually.   I want to go see Newgrange (which I *THINK* is in NI... I've not really looked into it, as it's not on our immediate list.)

As long as you're safe, that's all that matters.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 04:10:24 PM »

Oh yeah um forgot---Me is married!   :-/
 What???  you are married...  guess you can not have Collin then...  so, since I still have 3 months left before married...and I fell in love with collin all over again when watching Bridget Jones diary...  then I guess I will take care of him for you...  ;D,  :-*

But please don't let this put you off coming to NI, it is a beautiful country that one should not miss. l just wanted to add a little bit about life here! But it is comforting to know that if you ever break down on the side of the street, the military will show up faster than AA!! lol  :D  

You sound like a combination travel agent and national guard spokeswoman...LOL!...come to NI, enjoy the beauty and learn how to be a soldier...all in one exclusive price...

had to laugh at this last phrase of yours about AA...  how funny...

As you know, I have already told you I have a lot of respect for your brave soul moving to a place of turmoil...  must love that hubby a lot...

COLLIN IS FREE FOR ALL WOMEN, TRISH IS MARRIED!!!
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 04:38:20 PM »

What???  you are married...  guess you can not have Collin then...  so, since I still have 3 months left before married...and I fell in love with collin all over again when watching Bridget Jones diary...  then I guess I will take care of him for you...  ;D,  :-*

You sound like a combination travel agent and national guard spokeswoman...LOL!...come to NI, enjoy the beauty and learn how to be a soldier...all in one exclusive price...

had to laugh at this last phrase of yours about AA...  how funny...

As you know, I have already told you I have a lot of respect for your brave soul moving to a place of turmoil...  must love that hubby a lot...

COLLIN IS FREE FOR ALL WOMEN, TRISH IS MARRIED!!!

HANG ON THERE MISSY!!!! COLIN IS MINE!!!!!! MARRIED OR NOT!  :P  Honey, l'd leave this lazy git of a husband for Colin any day!!   :o did l just say that?? Don't care not removing it!

Sooooooo, Mr. Firth is still mine!! Hands off ladies!!  :-*

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 04:48:06 PM »
Ooops, spelled his name wrong...  sorry Colin  :-*  big kisses for forgiveness...

LOL Trish...  had a feeling I would be able to wake you up here...

but after seeing him again in a movie...  looking at that face of devine sensuality and kindness...  I want him too!!!  at least for 3 months...  
LOL...move over Steven Segal...New man in my Town!!!!
depths of our soul!

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 07:19:24 PM »
Come come ladies...I have a feeling there's plenty of Colin to go around (wink wink)....heh heh heh.

LOL on the AAA thing!

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 07:31:57 PM »
ahhh, you want some of him too dontcha SAF?  Ok, I will share...  you can have Trish's half...LOL
depths of our soul!

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 09:40:26 PM »
That's it!! l'm telling Leah!!

Why? Why are you being so mean to me??  :'( :'(
I thought you were my friends!
You're trying to take my man away from me! But see, here's the thing.....l had him first! And if you be nice to me then l will give you each a ice lolly! How's that?? Any flavor!

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 10:12:39 PM »
LOL, tattletale...  didn't you know that no one likes a tattle tale...  :P:P:P:P hehehe!

s'ok, you want your way eh?  well I do not want to get in trouble... so I will take a colin lolly ;D ...ooops, I mean a rootbeer or black cherry lolly  :-[ and I will be happy with the lovingly wonderful Geordie of mine.  So see...I am the winner, I get the lolly and a geordie.. [smiley=bootyshake.gif]  
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 10:13:35 PM by mfredericka »
depths of our soul!

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 11:29:49 PM »
Oh I could make such a dirty joke on the lolly thing.... ;D

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 12:35:57 AM »
We went to the Giants Causeway last year... it was absolutely incredible!!!  One of the coolest things i've seen.  

I loved Northern Ireland (kept looking in estate agents windows!)... we were in Belfast, Bushmills, Portrush, Ballymoney and Ballycastle.  

In Ballymoney we went to a Chinese restaurant that had the best Chinese food i've had in the UK.  The best bit was a big dish of gravy that they gave us.... i dont know what it was for, exactly, but i put it on some leftover fried rice, and it was heaven!  Best gravy ever!

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 12:15:43 PM »
You mean chips & curry sauce?  Oh yeaaaaahhh...  they do that here in Scotland, too, and it's brill.

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2003, 07:42:58 PM »
I have been to Belfast 3 times to see friends. They are hard core Irish and live in a sort of mixed neighborhood. I love it there, the people are so friendly, they love visitors, they make you feel right at home. There are however, to this day, many abandoned and burnt out houses which make the area look slummy but the people are wonderful.
I cant imagine having a soldier point a machine gun at me, that would definitely give me the creeps. I have seen many armored military vehicles and soldiers in the city center and police vehicles. My first trip was in 2000 so there hasnt been that much hard core fighting since then. And there is the odd helicopter.
I'd love to see the Giants Causeway and other stuff there too.
BTW they do the best chips with masala sauce at the Night of Bengal on the Antrim Road in Belfast  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 07:44:11 PM by mrs_kev »
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab