Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are my chances?  (Read 1623 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: What are my chances?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 09:13:42 PM »
BUNAC is a scheme to allow you to work, not to go to school so stop calling it or thinking that it's a student visa. It's an approved scheme that's mentioned through all of the laws and immigration policies of the UK so it's recognized and approved by the UK government. You obviously haven't done your research otherwise you would have known this. A student visa requires you to go to SCHOOL and only allows you to work for 20 hours a week during the course of your studies. BUNAC visa has no such restrictions.  So if you'd rather go further in debt to get another degree and only work 20 hours a week in some job probably not related to your future plans instead of using a program that will allow you to get your foot in the door and work a REAL JOB,  then by all means go ahead.  I guess $20,000 for schooling and living expenses is a better deal than a $275 visa.

Sorry I mistyped.  What I meant to say was you can get a similar visa through the consulate website, but the requirements, i.e. that you are a recent graduate are still in place.  This program merely expedites it at a profit for themselves.  Here is the link:

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/visas.asp [nofollow]

When you are finished doing your research please get back to me.  Thanks.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 09:24:59 PM »
Sorry I mistyped.  What I meant to say was you can get a similar visa through the consulate website, but the requirements, i.e. that you are a recent graduate are still in place.  This program merely expedites it at a profit for themselves.  Here is the link:

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/visas.asp

When you are finished doing your research please get back to me.  Thanks.

Sorry, try it again. You post the link to this magical other visa because you've just sent me a link to the visas page.

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 08:27:02 PM »
God I'm a moron.  I want to apologize to everyone on here who gave me advice.  Bunac is the ONLY program for visas for recently graduated students in Britain.  In my paranoia I thought it was a program trying to rip me off.  Bear with me, I'm in the middle of graduating from law school and finals.  Ugh, bad way to introduce myself to the board.  I've been PMing some people, and they have been very kind.  I will very likely be using Bunac.  Please don't ignore me if I PM you with questions about Britain.  Thanks!!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 08:36:32 PM »
God I'm a moron. 

Naaaw.  Just a soon-to-be lawyer. :P  (Just kidding but I expect you'll have to get used to lawyer jokes going forward.)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 08:43:38 PM »
may I suggest a gov't lawyer job? They pay student loans! Check out GSA or DOD. And you get a ton of time off so you can visit the UK :)
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 08:48:15 PM »
God I'm a moron. I want to apologize to everyone on here who gave me advice. Bunac is the ONLY program for visas for recently graduated students in Britain. In my paranoia I thought it was a program trying to rip me off. Bear with me, I'm in the middle of graduating from law school and finals. Ugh, bad way to introduce myself to the board. I've been PMing some people, and they have been very kind. I will very likely be using Bunac. Please don't ignore me if I PM you with questions about Britain. Thanks!!

Don't worry about it. I think we all understand the stress of moving to another country. All the info coming from every direction, it's a bit hard to get your head around it sometimes.

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 08:32:31 AM »
As for lawyers in the UK...I believe the entry amount that most make is much less than you are hoping for & the cost of living is rather high...so not a huge amount of difference than what you'll end up with in the US. (here's the post about it:  http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=10700.0)  Honestly I make more than I did in the US as a school counselor (when looking at the exchange rate) but have to pay out so much more...so I'm not exactly paying off my loans any quicker over here.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 10:52:39 AM by onetiger »

Sponsored Links