Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Passport Control - What a joke.  (Read 1670 times)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Passport Control - What a joke.
« on: August 10, 2003, 03:49:39 AM »
My husband, sister and I just spent a few days in Barcelona. We flew from Leeds/Bradford Airport. When we came back, my sister and I were the only Non-EU passport holders, so we were the only ones to go into that queue for immigration. The guard told us to go together. The immigration officer (a woman who was obviously pms'ing and bored.) let my sister go through, no problems. She asked a few questions and stamped her passport and she was off.

She turns to me, looks at my passport photo, looks at me and asks "Why are you here?" I say " I live here, I have a visa, it's on page 11." (she just continues to stare blankly at me and says.... "You don't live here, you're just staying here."  At this point I'm thinking, Um... excuse me. I work, I have a house, I pay taxes through my very own NI number, I freaking LIVE here you butthead. But I just grin and nod. Then she asks " Why are you staying here?" (I'm thinking at this point it's none of her dang business but I reply...) " I married an Englishman." And the stupid woman actually said " Oh, you married a BRITISHMAN." (btw, is that even a word?)

She then went on some tirade about how I may have to wait another year before getting my ILR because the rules have just changed but I might be lucky and be able to pass through it. (And excuse me, but Passport control is not the ones to give Immigration advice.)

She didn't stamp my passport, but she let me through.

Anyways... I was totally bothered by how this woman acted towards me. She's really darn lucky she didn't stamp my passport and that we couldn't read her Officer number on my sisters because I really wanted to turn her butt in. Rude, ignorant, and most likely prejudice. Ugh! It was just so dang frustrating.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Re: Passport Control - What a joke.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 12:28:00 PM »
What a maddening experience!  I probably would've told her off right there in front of everyone.  Screw waiting to report her. lol  I can PMS with the best of them!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 12:33:14 PM »
Ashley that's awful - she had no place being such as a$s to you about Immigration, and clearly just didn't want to hear a word you say. I suppose you could still report her, I mean - you know the time you went through, and if there were so few non-EU passport holders then I'm guessing she was the only one handling them? I'd go for it at any rate - that's just awful. Hugs to you! And glad you got through!  :o
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 03:32:34 PM »
What a jerk!

I would have WANTED to scream at her just then  (like Elle) but when it comes to people of authority I just don't have the ability.  I would have meekly taken whatever she gave me.  Even though I've followed the rules, this woman has the power to ruin my life... and that's WAY too much power in my opinion.  Grrrr..

But you're home safe and sound and that's all that matters!!!

-Lisa-
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 06:12:41 PM »
I'm like you, Lisa, she's authority so I wasn't going to say anything.  And poor Jon, the guy hasn't have a moments rest from me "What the hell did she mean 'I don't live here'" I'm just beyond bugged by it, I won't let it go!  :)

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 08:30:39 PM »
Here's an interesting article that I meant to post at the time, but this thread reminded me of it.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,967704,00.html

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 09:33:12 PM »
Ashley,

Kudos to you for having much patience.

I would've went off on her  ::)
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 02:02:26 AM »
That was a really cute story!  Thanks for posting it.  :D
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 07:03:53 PM »
Hi everyone, Im new.  I've had the same sort of experiences coming into the UK.  The first few times I was grilled about coming for a month at a time and (before I was married) and in the "que" for at least 10 or so minutes answering every question.  The time I came two days before I got married the woman said, "how come you are here again, you arent getting married are you?"  *Gulp*  What do you say to that? I even had to answer questions as to working for the state of Florida, how come I was able to take all of these holidays off, etc etc.

Finally this last time with my VISA (yea) I still got grief.  I was questioned as to why I was there, what will I be doing, how long am I staying, etc and I explained Im coming to live with my husband, my visa is a few pages over.  She didnt even look at that first to see that is says "Spouse of" and the dates it is good until.  Then she stamped OVER the visa!

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person being questioned like this.  It makes ya feel like crap when it constantly continues.

• But its a creative mess
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 08:09:58 AM »
This has to be some kind of a new trend.  I hadn't been to England in over 10 years before this past July, and I was completely unprepared for the reception I got from the immigration officer.  Back in the dark ages, if you had an American passport, you practically had to beg them to stamp your passport (as a kind of souvenir).  They'd just see you were an American and pretty much just wave you through - no exotic critters, plants, diseases, and most likely not going to go on the dole, they seemed to think.    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

This past July I was coming to see my sweetie, and was only going to be in the UK for a 2 wk period.  The immigration officer I got at Manchester airport was unreal... luckily I spoke about vague "friends" when he first questioned me and didn't mention my sweetie at all.  I shudder to think what might have happened if I had! :o Why was I there, who was I visiting, how long had I known them, how had I met them, did I have gainful employment back in the US, etc etc etc... on a TOURIST visa with a return ticket to the US in a 2 wk period.  Trust me folks, the last thing I needed after the 14 hrs or so of flight/travel I'd just had coming in from Los Angeles was to play a round of 20 questions with some guy in a gabardine costume. [smiley=sweatdrop.gif] [smiley=furious.gif] [smiley=anxious.gif]

Maybe its the woman travelilng alone thing that makes them suspicious?
"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once, beautiful and brave.  Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something that needs our love"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab