Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling into Europe from England  (Read 635 times)

• Liked: 0
Traveling into Europe from England
« on: May 10, 2005, 01:20:22 PM »
My wife and I are considering a trip into Belgium with our British (right-hand steering wheel) car.  We will most likely take the ferry over from Dover to Calais, and then onto Belgium.

Any tips?  Any special things we need to do to our car?  Any tips on driving?

Thanks!

Re: Traveling into Europe from England
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 01:35:42 PM »
Two things.  You need to cover the spot on your headlights which will blind oncoming drivers.  Second, when I lived in Belgium the rule on traffic circles was give way to the right, same as at any intersection, not as in the UK or US where once you are on the circle you keep moving.  Better double-check for the current rule.

Oh and a third thing, in the flat areas there can be a lot of cyclists, so be very very careful when you turn right across a cycle path.

Jim

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 01:43:42 PM »
You can get the headlight cover things from places like Halfords.   ;)
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 02:03:06 PM »
The earlier posters have given some good tips ... the only other thing I would add is that you might like to check up what cover your insurance gives outside the UK, and what cover your AA (or similar) membership gives you for rescue in the event of a breakdown, etc.   Typically, your insurance will give you the minimum legal cover needed but you might be well advised to increase this, and you'll be warned that it could be very expensive if you broke down and needed a tow all the way home, so a rescue service might be worth getting.

I drive on "The Continent" from time to time ... driving with care, not trying to cover too big a distance in a day, and it's no great problem.   Rather like driving in the UK but on the other side of the road really  ;D ;D

Edit to add.  Please ignore my comment about not going too far in a day.  I didn't read "Belgium" properly.  Small country - you can easily drive right across it in a single sting
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 02:04:50 PM by GrahamE »
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 02:08:08 PM »
We've driven over to Europe many times in our UK car and have always found it to be a lot easier than you might expect.

The only problem would be if you were on your own as it can be difficult to see to overtake on the highway.

Also, if you're on your own, it's impossible to pay at a toll booth as your steering wheel will be on the wrong side!!  So, you'll be relying on your passenger more than usual!!

Where are you going to in Belgium? Make sure you make some car free time to sample their wonderful beer!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 04:13:07 PM »
Thanks all for your tips!

I think we will be loading up the boot of our car with Belgium beer ...

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 08:56:29 PM »
when I lived in Belgium the rule on traffic circles was give way to the right, same as at any intersection, not as in the UK or US where once you are on the circle you keep moving.  Better double-check for the current rule.

I can't speak for Belgium, but the priority rule in France was changed some time ago.    Under their infamous priorite a droite rule cars already on the circle/roundabout had to yield to those entering it.  A few years back they started changing this, painting lines and putting Yield signs (Cedez le passage) on each road so that priority is now given to traffic already on the circle. 

Many European countries do still work to a priority-to-the-right rule though, unless signs say otherwise.  It can be very disconcerting when you are driving along a wide boulevard and have to stop to let something out of a side alley on your right. 

A yellow diamond with a white border indicates that the road you are traveling on has priority and you can keep going.  The same sign with diagonal black bar crossed through indicates end of priority, and that you must once again yield right-of-way to anything approaching from your right.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab