Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions about the fiancee visa  (Read 2127 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Questions about the fiancee visa
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2003, 09:50:58 AM »
I think it sounds like a wonderful plan - and I'm really glad to see you're taking such a mature, responsible, and rational attitude towards all the advice you've been given.  It really does come from the heart AND experience.

I just say that because it is such an emotional issue that sometimes one can't see outside one's own desires.  And let's face it, in a long-distance romance those desires are just heightened, aren't they!   ;)

Again - your plan is perfect.  Just the way the Home Office likes it to be!

Good luck! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2003, 01:17:49 PM »
"I didn't think I'd be subject to an interrogation as a tourist that doesn't even need a visa to go visit."

I didn't either, but I was detained for several hours at Heathrow while they decided whether or not they believed my story. At the end of the day, the Immigration Officer you get doesn't have to have any good reason to turn you away, he or she only has to *suspect* that you're not really there as a tourist. So really, I'm just saying be careful. I think you're plan sounds good, just follow the rules and make sure they know you're really there as a tourist. :) And good luck!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• I fell in love to be let down...
    • My Road to Recovery
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2003, 08:52:56 PM »
Yet again, thanks for the input guys, I truly feel much more confident about what is coming.  From your experiences trying to get into the U.K. as tourists and being questioned, is there any advice on things to say/not say, or any documentation I can take that would help in any way?  I was thinking that besides taking bank statements to show that I have funds sufficient to stay with her for two and a half months or so, perhaps a letter from her stating her intentions to let me stay at her house (She has a mortgage on it) might help in showing that I do have a place to stay during my time there and prove that I won't be mooching from the government.  Anything else that may help?
The search for my future ex-wife marches on...

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2003, 12:52:01 PM »
You need to show that you have enough money to justify such a long visit.  I would say you were staying with "friends" - NOT a girlfriend.  And if you have something from your job stating you're coming back to it that would be even better.  You just pretty much need to show you're not trying to get your foot in the door to stay.  Proof you have a life in the US to go back to would be good.

I think my biggest mistake was the one-way ticket... :-/   ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 11:03:43 PM »
Applying for the fiance visa by post was really easy for us.  It only takes a couple of weeks, and you don't have to fly up there for it that way.

Just something to think about too...by having Julie with you when you go up to apply, if you don't have everything they want to see, you do take a chance on having things delayed until she can go back to the UK to get them. For example, we sent in our application, and they came back to us asking for more bank statements before issuing the visa.  Had we traipsed up to NYC for the visa, he would have had to go back to the UK to get them!  Would have been a big time bummer.  

Just a thought!  :)

Sponsored Links