Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Catch 22 (sorta)  (Read 2943 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Catch 22 (sorta)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2003, 07:07:32 PM »
Lisa thats wonderful news - Congratulations!  You got the best opportunity really.  I know the job isn't quite what you'd hoped but the bonus is that you can move up.  Can't wait to hear how the first few days go.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2003, 07:09:45 PM »
Totally awesome Collington!! Congratulations! Best of luck in your new position. Let us know how your first day was!!

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2003, 10:50:59 PM »
Best of luck to you Lisa..let us know how it goes :)
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2003, 12:02:46 AM »
MY FIRST DAY...

I get there at 9am with about 9 other people.  I'm the only person working admin (all the rest are going to be on the phones) but since I'm supporting customer service, I'm training with them.

The trainer was brought down from the Swansea office, since the trainer at our office quit recently.  The trainer, Simon, was very nice (and DULL) and was trying to show us the computer program.  At first, all ten of us were crowded around one terminal as he showed us.  Then we all split off into little groups for some "hands on experience", but only one computer worked so we really just sat around chatting.  At 10am Simon went off to find some help (he didn't even use the same system we use).  At 1pm he still wasn't back!  Turns out he got upset and buggered off back to Swansea!!!   We had lunch, then we sat down with a rep and listened in on their phone calls till 5.

Tomorrow should be more orderly as they've arranged for a new trainer to come in.

I really like the people I'm training with, and the guy I sat with was really nice, too!  Hopefully I'll make a few friends here!

Thanks for caring everyone... I really appreciate it!!
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2003, 12:15:15 AM »
Good Luck collington.........now about Time Warner Cable! (bandits that they are)........they just got taken over in my town by Comcast (who by the way price-wise for broadband internet and basic cable arent any less expensive....now wheres that black box someone gave me a few years back ;D)

• Flickr
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2003, 12:24:04 AM »
Oh Time Warner is the antichrist.  I'll be the FIRST to admit it.  I HATED working there because of their ethics.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 12:28:53 AM »
So ya not going to dime me out for the black box then  ;D?

• Flickr
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2003, 12:59:14 AM »
Sorry... you're on your own.    :P

• Maggie
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2003, 01:17:22 AM »
Glad your day was good!  It is always great to hear that a new job will lead to extra money and the chance to make some more friends.  Congrats!  
RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2003, 11:28:40 PM »
Glad to hear your day went well! That must be such a relief got you, and I'm so pleased for you! Let us know how it goes from here on out as well, you've waiting a long time for a job, let's just all keep fingers and ears crossed that it stays nice. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2003, 06:44:08 PM »
Congrats on the job! So, how was your first week?
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Flickr
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2003, 09:49:31 PM »
It's been -- interesting.  After the Swansea guy abandoned us we had decent training for 3 days, then Friday it all fell apart again.  I'm DEFINATELY still looking for other employment.  This job has great perks  (health and dental insurance, 25 days off plus the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days, casual dress) but that kind of stuff doesn't make you happy at the end of the day.... just complacent and unhappy.   :-/

My last job was like that... I LOATHED it but I stayed because the benefits were SO good I couldn't afford to leave!

Luckily, with the NHS, I don't HAVE to stay in this one.  That was the main concern with the old job -- insurance.

Oh well!  Thanks for asking, anyway!  I REALLY appreciate it!

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2003, 11:44:19 PM »
Lisa what about moving up from this position?  Will the work be more what you are looking for?  Did you celebrate getting your first UK job.  Did you feel a sense of accomplishment when you knew the job was yours?  Even for a moment? A sort of "I won!" moment.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Flickr
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2003, 09:59:26 PM »
Yeah... a bit of an "I won" ... but a little more of a, "Thank the gods... it's about damn time!"  *laugh*   ;D

It's a big company, so hopefully I'll be able to move up in the ranks.  :)   In the meantime I'm still job hunting... you never know!!

But I'm REALLY happy to be working and it'll be nice to be able to buy a home!!   :D   Thanks for asking!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab