Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Catch 22 (sorta)  (Read 2944 times)

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 0
Catch 22 (sorta)
« on: August 15, 2003, 03:39:32 PM »
This probably could have gone in grievances too...

So I moved over on Jan 29th.  I've been looking for a job since the end of February.  Sometime in March I interviewed for position x, but they found a more suitable candidate... but because they liked me, they offered me position y which was front line customer service.  The original job paid around £22, the cust service paid around £13.  I decided that I REALLY didn't want to work cust serv, and £13 was pathetic so I passed.

Fast Forward many months and it's now August.  I'm STILL looking for a job.  I FINALLY get another interview (the only other one I've had since March). It was two weeks ago.  (The oddest interview I've EVER been to, they didn't ask me about myself at all, just told me about the job.)  Anyway.... two weeks pass and I haven't heard a word so I call.  "Hi, interested... want to see if position has been filled... etc etc"  Today the boss calls me back and wants to offer me the position.  They want to pay me £13,000 to start.  ARGH.  I'm so frustrated!  (AND!  The hours are 8:30 - 5:30 with a half hour lunch... that's a 42 hour work week! (I must be missing something, right?  Like maybe a half day on Friday?  Can they make you work that much?))

So now I'm stuck with,
 1) take it because it's money and I'm not working, but be unhappy....
 2) or don't take it and wait a possible 6 more months for another interview.  

The job itself is "ok."  I'd be happy to work in a job I really enjoy even if the pay is less than I expected... but this job is just mediocre, with no real chance of moving up in the company (only about 50 people in the company... and it's owned by a man and his two sons.)

I was just about to go see some temp agencies.  I loathe temping... people always treat you like you're disposable (which you are) instead of like a person.  But... I figure it's a good way to get my foot in the door.  But then do I want to pass up possible full-time work?

ARGH!!

I have never in my life had so many problems finding a job.  In the states, when I've gone job hunting, I usually have found a position within two weeks.  Here I can't seem to get past the shortlisting process, and if I do, it's for a position that is WELL below me.

Sorry... I'm done venting now.  Thanks

-lisa-  [smiley=bomb.gif]
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Unavailable for Comment.
Re: Catch 22 (sorta)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 05:57:31 PM »
Ooh, Honey bunny, sorry to hear all this.

My advice, don't take it. The hours are crap and if you're wanting more money, try to get more money.

Plus I'd be concerned about working for a company that only gives you half an hour for lunch, even though the legal requirement is 20 minutes, that's just stupid plus I've never heard of it before.

Go to a temp agency. Try to find work through them (both perm and temp).

I've found that temps are treated well here. They're given the freedom of coming and going as they like, but they're still given the respect (and in some cases acceptance) that perm employees are given. Plus, you can ask for the money you want. Use as many agencies as you can and be sure to ask for both temp and perm jobs.

[smiley=hug.gif]

I do feel your pain. Getting work here is like trying to find the holy grail.  But don't give in (especially for a pissy job that's only going to make you unhappy.) you'll get something soon. Promise.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 10:31:36 PM »
I can sort of relate.  I did a lot of research before coming over and naively thought that I could get a fairly decent paying job.  Even when I got here, the agencies I went to in London felt that my salary expectations were low and I could get more money.  

Well, I ended up taking a job way outside the city making crap for money and I took it because it was money and I needed to be working.  

My job is ok.  I don't mind it.  My boss is not the greatest person, but overall he's taken pretty good care of me and just recently gave me a pretty nice raise (basically because I told him I was going broke working there!).

ANYway, point is, I've been looking for another job since January myself and have only had one interview.  I feel grateful I'm making a living AND putting experience on my CV.  On the other hand, sometimes I wish I had attempted to find a better paying job sooner rather than later.  Because of having support to pay and rent, etc. I really do not feel I can quit to go back to temping or hoping to find a new job.  So I stay.  

It'll work out for you one way or the other, but I guess what I'm saying is stick it out a bit longer and wait for the brass ring, or you may find yourself on the same merry-go-round I am.

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 11:15:24 PM »
If I can interject, I'd say suck it up and go for a temp job too. I was terrified of finding a job here and scoured the papers as well as going to the Job Center every day with no joy. I think they just couldn't be bothered with the extra effort to check my references (in the US) or take a chance with me.

I finally went around to the temp agencies, even though I hate temping. Not surprising enough, the jobs that most offered (when they did offer) were crap and for only one day so I turned them down...which led to them stopping the offers. Probably didn't help that I got into an argument with one agency that I was registered with over a job that I knew I was qualified for that was listed new that day in the Job Center through them...when I called the agency and asked why they didn't offer it to me, the "lady" kept saying how I just wasn't 'suited for the job'. I kept pressuring her to answer how I wasn't suited because it was for a job that I had all required qualifications for and had in fact done for many years. She wouldn't give me a straight answer so I eventually hung up on her while seriously bitting my tongue.

Long story short, one of the last temp agencies I went to called me with a decent enough job on a 3 month trial basis with the option of going permanent if we both were happy....and I've been there 2 years now. Granted, I'm only making a little more than 1/3 of what I did in the US doing pretty much the same job but I think that's just what this job pays here.

Hope that helps....and good luck!  :)

• Flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 08:07:24 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I turned the job down on Monday.  And I must say, I'm glad I didn't take the job.  I said, "Thank you, but at this time I don't think I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity to work at your company" (or something like that)  the guy just said, "Ok."   Well PHLBBBBB  :P  If he doesn't even want to know why, or ask what it would take to have me, then I DEFINATELY don't want to work there.  So I'm working on sending out my CV to all the agencies around.  Thanks for all your advice.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 12:42:02 AM »
Hey girlie - im having a hard time finding a job too..been searching for months...i wanted parttime and have been on at least ten interviews..no kidding...i have been told that i wasnt hired becz they thought i would be bored...so i was offered a job but it is in horsham which is an hour plus away..so that takes away from the pay...anyhow i feel your pain as well...best of luck.
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 02:11:27 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I turned the job down on Monday.  And I must say, I'm glad I didn't take the job.  I said, "Thank you, but at this time I don't think I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity to work at your company" (or something like that)  the guy just said, "Ok."   Well PHLBBBBB  :P  If he doesn't even want to know why, or ask what it would take to have me, then I DEFINATELY don't want to work there.  So I'm working on sending out my CV to all the agencies around.  Thanks for all your advice.

Just a word of advice...if you turn them down, that's usually a bridge burned.  It happened to me this past week and I checked around with some friends...it has happened to them, too.  Once you turn a company down, forget about ever working there...even if you're desperate.

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• Flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2003, 06:50:17 PM »
Just to put everyone's mind at ease... (because I know you were concerned!)  I did end up getting a job.  I start tomorrow.

It's an admin assistant for NTL.  It's still quite a step down for me, but it's work and something I can do with my eyes closed (since I worked at Time Warner Cable for many years.)  I had to convince them that I wouldn't get bored and even though I was overqualified this was advantageous to both of us, because I have the opportunity to move within this very large organization.  They were really eager for me to take the position, so that makes me feel loved. And my new boss is married to an American!  YAY!  ;D

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2003, 06:53:56 PM »
Well Done Lisa!  Good for you. :) :)

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2003, 08:15:54 PM »
Congrats Lisa!!!!  I hope it goes well!!!

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2003, 08:21:00 PM »
Just to put everyone's mind at ease... (because I know you were concerned!)  I did end up getting a job.  I start tomorrow.

It's an admin assistant for NTL.  It's still quite a step down for me, but it's work and something I can do with my eyes closed (since I worked at Time Warner Cable for many years.)  I had to convince them that I wouldn't get bored and even though I was overqualified this was advantageous to both of us, because I have the opportunity to move within this very large organization.  They were really eager for me to take the position, so that makes me feel loved. And my new boss is married to an American!  YAY!  ;D

Good...you probably won't have to put up with much America bashing, then!

Totally off-topic, I had the fun experience of being bashed to my face on Friday.  I ran into the Director of Strategy who was talking to some consultant.  I said "Hi, how's it goin" in my big American accent.  The consultant stopped dead in his tracks and started talking about the difference between American and British "dialects."  He started digging his own grave when he said, "some American dialects aren't even recognizable as English, though.  If you get down into some of those Southern states, like Texas, I bet you couldn't understand them, Stacey."

At this point, the Director of Strategy is slapping his forehead and groaning, because he knows I'm from Texas.

In my VERY best fake Texas accent, I said, "Weyull, ah don't know 'bout thayat.  Ah kin unnerstan dem Texans jus faaaahne."

His face went BRIGHT red.  It was v. funny.

[smiley=laugh.gif]  [smiley=laugh.gif]  [smiley=laugh.gif]  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]  [smiley=laugh.gif]  [smiley=laugh.gif]
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2003, 11:13:40 PM »
Congratulations, Lisa!!

They couldn't have found a better person for the job-it's wonderful that your search has finally paid off! I think it's a testament to to your ability to stayy positive about it and expect good things  :D  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Well done you!!

Jen

• Flickr
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2003, 11:16:52 PM »
Thanks everyone!!!!  I really appreciate it!!

• Maggie
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 12:34:40 AM »
Congrats on your job!  Good luck on your first day!  Woo Hoo   ;D   ;D   ;D  
RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 06:50:55 PM »
Congrats on the job Lisa! :D Sounds great. Hope it all goes well. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab