Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: MA to phD question....  (Read 1692 times)

MA to phD question....
« on: August 15, 2003, 10:57:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

To Quote myself in an email to a aquantaince studying at SOAS:

"Only one "burning" question left (at least these days lol.) Should my Masters programme be directly related to my possible PHD? The reason I ask is because I have two main academic passions: Political Science and the broad range of "South Asian" studies. Obviously, the main research
focus of a PHD is very very specific. My question is in regard to the comprehensive exam one takes upon finishing their MA. Is this exam "general" enough as to qualify  one for a PHD in another area of study; or will I have to pick my MA and "stick with it" through the PHD (if I go
for such study.)

Ie: If I got my MA in Diplomacy but decided to go for PHD
work/research in the South Asian field would that be feasible?

For those of you involved in postgraduate study, what is your take on this?thank you!

Samantha***
:)

• Liked: 0
Re: MA to phD question....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 04:35:24 PM »
Hi Samantha,
well, at least in my case, my MA doesn't have much to do with the PhD program I am interested in...and I talked to the advisors over in the UK and they don't seem to have a problem with it. They seem to focus on what your research topic is and if you have a clear idea of how you want to conduct and organize it. As far as I know, they are willing to work with you on that. I think a lot of Ph D research are interdisplinary anyway so it actually helps to have a MA in different area.
Stella

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 09:12:04 PM »
Hi Stella!

Thanks so much for posting!  :)It seems that nobody is really clear on the "qualifications" for specific phD study in regards to a previous obtained MA---not even PhD stdudents at SOAS.[smiley=inquisitive.gif]

Either way its still ok, I think the academic grounding I am obtaining in my BA study (Double major: SA studies & Political Science) will mould themselves to any MA I end up going for.

I should say that, even I think it is slightly rediculous to be concentrating on such things so early in my studies :P ! I just figure when issues of immigration and money are involved, its never too early to start contemplating the possibilities!

I think you are in a very lucky situation...there is hella lot of money in way of scholarships for postgraduate students....have you been to the British council website? I can't recomend it enough.

Samantha***

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 09:51:02 PM »
Hi Samantha, you sound way mature than your age  :) (it is a compliment!) and you obviously are very focused on what you are doing, so I am certain that you will make it in England. I think there are some funding/research opportunity at master levels, so do keep that option open. I understand that it is very expensive to try to move over there, find money for your studies and support yourself at the same time. I think it is part of the experience and I would rather go through that than wondering later on in life. Have you look at the http://jobs.ac.uk/ site? They post studentship information there...so track of that. I will check out the British council site soon...thanks for the info and support!

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 10:14:22 PM »
Hi Stella!

Thank you for the link to the job website....it's definately worthy of careful scrutiny!

cheers and best of luck with everything! :D

Samantha***

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab