Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Surprise Visits  (Read 1981 times)

• Then things got just plain Silly!
  • Liked: 1
Surprise Visits
« on: May 15, 2005, 12:34:32 AM »
Just wondering how many of you either surprised your SO with a visit, or were surprised by them? I am toying with the idea, once I am able to take some time away but wouldn't be until later in the fall. If you did surprise or were surprised, how did you/they pull it off and how did it go?  :)
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

Re: Surprise Visits
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 04:41:17 AM »
hmm nobody huh? thanks anyways
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 09:49:38 AM »
I know I've read about a couple surprise visits on here somewhere... I want to say it was Aimiloo and pittpanther but I could be totally wrong....
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 10:09:38 AM »
No, not me!!!  I've heard bad things happen to friends who did it!

I think Amy's Husband did.  But she is away right now to tell the story.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 11:49:47 AM »
No, not me!!!  I've heard bad things happen to friends who did it!

I didn't reply to you before, Silly Snip, because I've always felt that the surprise visit is (or can be) a BIG mistake. I've never done it or had it done to me, but that's just my general impression. I've heard stories!  :o
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 04:54:56 PM »
We used to do surprise visits!  Sometimes James would show up in the dead of night.  It was soooo great.  It never went wrong.  How could it go wrong?  :)

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 05:02:56 PM »
We used to do surprise visits!  Sometimes James would show up in the dead of night.  It was soooo great.  It never went wrong.  How could it go wrong?  :)
Trust me, it's gone wrong!

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 05:25:40 PM »
Just wondering how many of you either surprised your SO with a visit, or were surprised by them? I am toying with the idea, once I am able to take some time away but wouldn't be until later in the fall. If you did surprise or were surprised, how did you/they pull it off and how did it go?  :)
I have never done it but we were really only did the long distance thing for about 5 months believe it or not. But if you wanna do a surprise visit let me know and Ill pick you up at Birmingham airport :)

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 05:44:00 PM »
Steve and I both have done 1 suprise visit each. Both were disasterous. His plane got delayed then cancelled on a connection. He was in touch with my friends, but they weren't able to help. He still surprised me, but the timing was just not good.

Then, I recently tried to surprise him for his birthday in April and I missed my plane and thus, it got all messed up. He knew there was something going on b/c I'm a horrible liar.
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 05:55:27 PM »
Tom (DF), did it once and it was great! That was the visit when he proposed as no one else in my family speaks english, he did it by himself and it was a bit dangerous, because the night he arrived there was a hurricane about to make landfall here and he didnt know about it until he got to Mexico City, he said later on it was scary.

I think it depends on the person, there are persons (like me) who really love surprises and there are also persons who just cant stand them and feel very uncomfortable. You know what kinf of person is your boyfriend and if you think he would like you to do something like it then do it, personally, i think its something sweet and romantic, but once again, that just me :P

Good luck!  :)

• Liked: 70
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 10:20:36 PM »
We had talked about what would happen if either one of us were to surprise the other.  I seriously doubt it would work.

He works for a family business so him getting time off and me getting from LGW/LHR to his house is easy.  But we don't have public transport here I live and I live 1.5 hours away from the Atlanta airport.  Plus I'd have to take time off of work.  I'd be surprised, but also pretty frustrated at my having no chance to rearrange all my schedules for work.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 01:50:51 AM »
Well not sure I could keep it a secret anyways, I would be too excited and he would most likely guess something was going on. I just think it would be great to see his face when I knocked on the door...but then I guess there is always the chance that things may not go as planned...my luck he'd run off on some adventure before I got there lol!

I don't think he'd be able to pull off a surprise visit to me as he wouldn't know how to get ahold of anyone to get him to my house...and I am kind of in the middle of nowhere.

???  I think I need to do more thinking on this one. Thank you all for your replies and thanks Ricki for the offer lol I'll let you know if I figure out a way to pull it off, the "horror stories" have me a little nervous about the idea now and my sister told me I was crazy... but what else is new  ;D
Walt Disney

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 12:55:23 AM »
I havent been on here in a while but I wanted to say something about this.  I'm going to be surprising my... er.. friend... and he lives in Leeds (we were dating but we broke up after I got back because of the stress *with my depression it was horrible*) and his parents know about it, but he doesnt. I dont have to worry about him going anywhere and his parents are picking me up, but other than that, the only thing I have to worry about is cancellations/delays and arent those always fun? But I think surprise visits are great if they're really planned out... thing is, now I Just gotta get the money!!  ;D

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 12:57:30 AM »
Good luck Cass!

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 01:02:54 AM »
Thank You American!!!!!  ;D Hopefully going there and talking to him face to face will make things a lot clearer for both of us - he is in the middle of exams so by the time I go there in August, he will know where his life is headed and that will help a great deal :) Good thing is, Ill have 600 of the ticket by mid-july and I'm going to be saving up additional paycheck money to get as close to 1000 as possible, but his parents may help! Yay! Ok Ill shut up now ! lol

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab