Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK address requirement for student/spouse visa  (Read 599 times)

• Liked: 0
UK address requirement for student/spouse visa
« on: May 19, 2005, 03:49:26 PM »
Hey, I've been accepted at the university of aberdeen to begin a 3 year phd program.  I know my wife can get a work visa, because I'll be going to school.  However, the consulate requires my future UK address.  We were planning on just staying at a hotel and then looking for a place when we get there in september.  Do we have to befriend somebody and get them to write a letter saying we can stay with them?  I think some of these rules are new, but I'd love some advice from somebody who has navigated this problem.

Re: UK address requirement for student/spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 08:53:24 PM »
That's fine.  Put the name and address of the hotel on the form and write (Interim) beside it, include a copy of your reservations in the attachments, and include what you just wrote above as a footnote.  Put the same info on your landing card, and take care that the IO will probably want to see your reservations also, so have them ready when you get off the plane.  They may explain that you need to file a variance when you find a permanent place, and you can say "absolutely!".  It's not a big deal really.

It looks like you will also qualify for the new Scottish Immigration Programme soon coming in to force.  Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 04:44:39 PM »
hi, many thanks for the kind advice.  Do you happen to know where I might find out more information about the Scottish immigration program?  thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 02:25:45 PM »
hi, many thanks for the kind advice.  Do you happen to know where I might find out more information about the Scottish immigration program?  thanks again.

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/schemes_and_programmes/fresh_talent__working.html?

There's also another programme coming in to force this fall, but appears not to have links yet...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 08:27:24 PM by garry »

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 07:28:03 PM »
Hey D-rock,

I'm going to be going over to the UK as the fiance of someone who is also entering a 3-4 year PhD program (although not in Aberdeen) and am curious as to what type of visa they gave you. Does it have a limited leave to remain or how long is it for? Is your visa a student visa since you will be studying or a working visa since you may be doing TAing or research. I'm under the impression that spouses/fiances can only come if their sponsor/spouse has an indefinite leave to remain or permanently settled. What have you learned about all this and did your University help you figure it out?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but we haven't gone over to the UK yet for our visit and the visa situation is still really unclear to me.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 02:13:04 AM »
linmei,

I'm going to apply for a 3 year visa, and am going to apply for an extra "reading year", making 4 total.  I can only work 15 hours per week because i'm a student.  My wife will have a work visa however and can work full-time.  I haven't applied for my visa yet, I gotta get on that this week.  In terms of the University, they haven't been much help at all.  Its basically figure things out yourself.  I'm waiting to hear about studentships also, so who knows. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab