Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: John Irving  (Read 2091 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
John Irving
« on: August 21, 2003, 06:15:46 PM »
Now that I'm spending most of the day laying down in order to reduce the chances of my puking - I've had a lot more time to read. So after reading Harry Potter *again* (looking for deeper hidden clues this time) - I decided I wanted to start reading John Irving, as I remember from my days working at Barnes & Noble (oh how I miss that place) that most of my co-workers were fans. SO. This week I've read A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Cider House Rules, and I'm a quarter of the way through The FOurth Hand right now. Cider House was a good book, but nothing that I'll ever think of as my favorite. I do love how Irving writes though, and still enjoyed the book a lot. The 4th Hand I'm really enjoying so far - it's a lot funnier than the 2 I've already read. But Prayer for Owen Meany - definitely one of my all time favorite books ever ever ever now. After I read it I had to tell David all about it, took about 30 minutes to tell the whole story but he was really enjoying it and thought the whole idea, and the way it was told, was brilliant. SO... anyone else a fan of the book? Or even John Irving for that matter?

After the Fourth Hand I'm going to read Alice in Wonderland - one of those books I know I'll adors but have somehow managed to not read yet.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Re: John Irving
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 08:51:02 PM »
I'm a John Irving fan.  Loved Cider House Rules and the Hotel New Hampshire.  I haven't read any in a while-don't have the time.  Maybe I'll get Owen Meany out of the library next week.  :)

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 04:36:58 PM »
I am actually almost halfway through Owen Meany, it's a friend of mine's favorite book, and since I made him read my favorite book, now I'm reading this one.  I've just finished the Christmas pageant part...
I have to admit, while I'm enjoying the book, I'm finding Owen to be, well, kind of a creepy little thief, to be honest.  But I suppose it gets better.  I don't mean that I don't like the character....just that the other thought has run through my head too.

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 02:58:24 PM »
Now that I'm spending most of the day laying down in order to reduce the chances of my puking - I've had a lot more time to read. So after reading Harry Potter *again* (looking for deeper hidden clues this time) - I decided I wanted to start reading John Irving, as I remember from my days working at Barnes & Noble (oh how I miss that place) that most of my co-workers were fans. SO. This week I've read A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Cider House Rules, and I'm a quarter of the way through The FOurth Hand right now. Cider House was a good book, but nothing that I'll ever think of as my favorite. I do love how Irving writes though, and still enjoyed the book a lot. The 4th Hand I'm really enjoying so far - it's a lot funnier than the 2 I've already read. But Prayer for Owen Meany - definitely one of my all time favorite books ever ever ever now. After I read it I had to tell David all about it, took about 30 minutes to tell the whole story but he was really enjoying it and thought the whole idea, and the way it was told, was brilliant. SO... anyone else a fan of the book? Or even John Irving for that matter?

I've never read Owen Meany....my favorite John Irving book has always been The World According To Garp.  :D

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 07:20:09 PM »
Finished Owen Meany...not bad, but I don't see why it's so many people's fave book ever (What made it so special to you, Marlespo?  I'd love to know).  It was slightly dull in some places, and the big diatribes about Reagan were out of place, had no purpose in the book, and made it really dated now.  I guess at the time, it was more enjoyable, but now....just served no real purpose in the book.
But the main story was good, and I grew to really like Owen again (loved him in the beginning, then he irritated me, but at the end I loved him again.)
Sad, though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2003, 07:20:58 PM by SAF »

Sponsored Links