Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another question PLEASE about Fiance Visas??  (Read 1056 times)

• I love you WillowFire!!
  • Liked: 0
Another question PLEASE about Fiance Visas??
« on: August 26, 2003, 04:34:15 AM »
I'm reading and learning a lot about this Fiance Visa.......but DO have a question I don't see addressed. I live in Tennessee, and have to apply in New York.. (makes perfect sense.... :(  )...........
It says I have to submit my ORIGINAL PASSPORT!!  Ridiculous!!  Do they return it with my application? This is a little scary........anyone have experience with this??
LadyKat

Re: Another question PLEASE about Fiance Visas??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 06:35:34 AM »
Yes and yes and I haven't experienced it personally because we went to Chicago and applied in person before coming over.  But for those who have mailed it off, they can tell you.  

It's necessary for them to have your passport so they can put the visa in it.  It is a little daunting to think about sending off such an important document.  Unfortunately, it's the way of the game.  I feel fortunate I was able to go in person.  I also went to the Home Office in person when it came time to apply for ILR because like others didn't like the idea of mailing off my passport.  Although there was a lady I worked with from New Zealand who did and got hers back with no problems.

Best of luck!

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 03:14:11 PM »
You definitely have to submit originals of everything, they don't accept copies. Which is why I think a lot of people take the time/money to go in person and do it the same day, in case something happens and they need to fly, or in case they don't trust the postal system. :)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 05:44:31 PM »
Hi LadyKat.

As you know, I applied for my fiancee visa whilst living in Tennessee too.  I posted all my original documents by Fed-Ex, including both my passport and his passport with no problem.

(We did have trouble getting his passport sent to me by post from the UK, but that's another story!  It got 'lost' at Miami Int. Airport for nearly two weeks!!!)

It is a bit scary sending all that stuff off, but it must be done!  I made copies of everything I sent off so I at least had proof of them.  

But don't worry about sending things to them.  Fed-Ex takes good care of things and they will then Fed-Ex your stuff...all of it....back to you.

The only way around giving your passport up is going to NY and doing the visa in person.

Good luck!

• I love you WillowFire!!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 03:38:06 PM »
;)
Thanks to all of you who answered.......I guess it was a stupid question, to ask if they returned the passport.......but it still IS a bit unnerving to think about. I didn't realize you could Fed Ex the stuff to them; that sounds more reassuring!
LadyKat

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 04:09:00 PM »
Lol no worries Lady Kat, I can assure you, you're not the first person to worry about sending your stuff off in the post.  ;D
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 07:46:07 PM »
I'm reading and learning a lot about this Fiance Visa.......but DO have a question I don't see addressed. I live in Tennessee, and have to apply in New York.. (makes perfect sense.... :(  )...........
It says I have to submit my ORIGINAL PASSPORT!!  Ridiculous!!  Do they return it with my application? This is a little scary........anyone have experience with this??

Yes, I had to do it.  Don't worry...you'll get it back unless the USPS loses it, which they likely won't.  You have to submit your original passport because that's where the visa will be pasted when it is issued.
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab