Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brit in London (I know, why am I here?)  (Read 1507 times)

• Who? Me?
    • Home of the NetGeek, soon.
  • Liked: 0
Brit in London (I know, why am I here?)
« on: August 26, 2003, 11:56:46 AM »
Hi all,

Just thought I would introduce myself.

I am Glenn, a Brit from the London area.  Just spent the last four years living in Grand Rapids, MI with my American wife.

Now brought her and our new daughter back to London.

Looking for info on all kinds of things....

Looking to help others find the things they need too.

Re: Brit in London (I know, why am I here?)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2003, 12:17:59 PM »
Hi Glenn and welcome to the forum. :)  How long have you been back in the UK?  How are you finding it?  How's your wife settling in?  Feel free to ask any questions and have a look round the forum.  We're always happy to help.  

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 03:01:44 PM »
Hello Glen and welcome to UKY...  I hope your transistion is a good one...and tell your wife where we are in case she gets homesick.

Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 05:38:18 PM »
Welcome Glenn its so nice to meet you.  Congratulations on your new daughter.  Is she your only child?  You'll find lots of help here and I'm sure one of us can help you when you need some direction.  There is so much info and friendship here that you'll find answers to things you probably haven't even thought of yet!  Isn't that great?

Write soon and let us know how your wife is doing.  Will she write here too?

Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Who? Me?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 02:05:51 AM »
Yes, my wife is here already, she is the one that found you all.  (She is litl_u).

We got back in April '03.  Been an interesting time for us both.  I have been falling back into the std routines, although litl_u is still getting used to things.

Both of us are missing many of the basics from the US.  Seriously considering looking into having stuff imprted, maybe on a grand scale.  (Anyone interested in Lucky Charms, Root Beer and Mountain Dew and half way decent prices?)

• My little cutie
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 02:09:25 AM »
yes i am here too and like he just said i am the one that found you all....and yes i am severly homesick for things/ppl i am settling in but with difficulty....especially when it comes to the food. :-/

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 04:58:46 PM »
My mouth is salivating.  I know I'm an adult but I love some of those kids cereals.  Lucky charms yumyumyum.  Do you have family here in the states that could mail you some goodies?  I bet that would help in the beginning.  I'm not there yet.  Moving to Wales in April.  But I'm already planning my first care package.  It definitely has to have iced tea.  

Litl u have you checked out a thread about some products being called one thing in the UK but that will be familiar products to you from the US?  This might help you to find some of the things you are used to.  

I think you'll be able to gain alot of help here.  I'm really glad you're both here.  Ask away, we are ready! lol
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Who? Me?
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 07:33:18 PM »
Yes, we have family there who can ship pretty much anything we need, but I am looking to fill a bigger need, maybe shipping by the pallet load to save costs for many folks in the UK looking for the US staples.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 01:18:38 PM »
That's an interesting concept, actually. I know there are US food suppliers here; one (Made in America) is just down the road from me in Lacock, Wiltshire. But...the things they have in stock aren't the good size, and since I can walk in, I choose from the samples they have on their makeshirft shelves, and they aren't nesessarily the most "timely"...being a mail order place, and not really catering to walk-ins.

So while I treasure what they have, I'm not 100% pleased...nor do I really enjoy paying the prices. So that means I usually stock up in the luggage with food on trips back. I'm not 100% pleased with that either.

If I could place an "order" and know I didn't have to worry about bulk, I'd get into a scheme like that. Glenn, you organizing?
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 01:22:04 PM »
Yeah, like if someone could organize pumpkin pie mix to come BEFORE Thanksgiving and it I didn't have to drive all over the south east searching for it, that'd be great.  Or Chicken&Stars soup, or A1 sauce.  When ever I've seen American food stocked it's always WAY too expensive or stuff I can already find in Sainsbury's (oreos, maple syrup, bisquik).

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 01:27:23 PM »
oooooo...what she said!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Who? Me?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2003, 01:42:02 PM »
Well, I am more than happy to organize this.

Do people want to start listing things they would be happy to order (no, I'm not taking orders yet) so I can start figuring out shipping costs, etc.

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2003, 03:01:15 PM »
You seriously know what you're getting yourself into, eh? Do be aware there are some things that can't be imported, such as meat and some milk byproducts and potatoes and things like that. Best to check that out since it's your name on the shipping label.

- First thing that springs to my mind on my list is Crisco shortening, in the BIG tub. But I like the idea of the new-fangled shortening sticks...sound very practical, though I've never seen them.
- I also want Gold Medal Flour, a big bag of it!
- HUGE box of Pepperidge Farm Goldfish, not those wimpy bags we get here.

As people build onto the list, I'll have more ideas.  ;D

But for me, even though I do go back to the US and pick up some things, typically I don't bring back big bulky items like those mentioned above, but having them here would be a godsend!

I'm also a big one on canned (tinned) items and after a few they weigh a ton!

If you are trying to get an idea (and since I don't have a complete list yet), from my own experience and from what I can foresee, figure that I would have items that weigh in the 40k area and take up a volume measuring 30cm x 60cm x 90cm.

And I'd be willing to travel to you to pick it all up.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2003, 07:28:28 PM »
Rootbeer...Rootbeer...  Yes...I know I will want rootbeer after I am there.

and real (lrg) canned tomato puree...  for all my sauces... not the puree they have in UK...that is actually paste...not puree.  
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2003, 09:42:30 PM »
Shel, try dandelion and burdock. Not the same but an equivalent.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab