Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Temporary Housing in London  (Read 1488 times)

• Liked: 0
Temporary Housing in London
« on: June 10, 2005, 06:12:57 PM »
Hi-

I am moving to London end of July

My company will pay for temporary housing (two weeks) until I find permanent housing.  Does anyone have any feedback on either of the two companies below or where the best place to live.

I will be working in Plumtree Court, London, EC4A
http://streetfinder.co.uk/launch.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.streetmap.co.uk%2Fnewsearch.srf%3Fmapp%3Dnewmap%26searchp%3Dnewsearch%26type%3DStreet%26name%3Dplumtree+court.

My choices are
From Global Visitor:
Somerset Roland Gardens, London SW7
Somerset Bayswater, London W2
Somerset Kensington Gardens , London W2
St. Marks EC1

From Select Apartmetns
St Marks  (Islington)
Citadines Barbican  (The City)
Citadines Holborn  (West End)

Also, I will need to find permanent housing once I get there.  Has anyone used 4 C Relocations>

Thanks-Lou

Re: Temporary Housing in London
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 06:51:18 PM »
My company didn't use any of the two you mentioned when they put me up for a month in corporate housing. 

My company put me up in South Kensington (Post code SW7) and it was a very nice area.  So from your choices, Somerset Roland Gardens would not be a bad choice.

bvamin

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 07:04:00 PM »
South Ken is a very nice area but it's not very close to your work. If you want to be nearby, Islington, Barbican, Holborn are in easy reach. Not as swish as South Ken but still decent areas.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:21:21 AM »
You might also need more than 2 weeks to find a place...lots of paperwork needs to go through and you need to have time to actually LOOK.  It's unusual to find a place in one day...as well as figure out exactly where to look.  You might want to look at the tube map, do some travel planner stuff from a variety of places to see how long it will take to get to work, and then go to 'up my street' to check out about the places.

Best of luck to you!

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 08:59:20 AM »
Lou -

I used to live right down the street from the Citadines Barbican.  I never went in, but it looked nice from the outside.  It will be about a 15-20 minute walk to your office from that location.  The Barbican is a weird area.  It's right in the City so Mon-Fri it is busy with business people, but Sat and Sun it is dead.  The Barbican is really close to Farringdon, which is full of bars and clubs and pubs for the Friday and Saturday night.  There is a decent supermarket within walking distance (Safeway).   The Barbican Tube stop is on your doorstep. 

One tiger is right that there is a lot involved in finding a flat, but it can be done, just make sure your employer is flexible with taking time off during those two weeks to run to the Estate Agents office to sign this or that.  I think I had to visit the estate agent about 4 times in one week before I was able to rent the place I am in now. 

Good luck

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 10:13:31 AM »
Two weeks is hardly enough time. We give at least six weeks.

jc

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 07:08:52 PM »
Unfortunately, I only get two weeks. I am planning on using  4c (4 corners relocation to help me find a place.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:45:21 AM »
Tell your relocation agent EXACTLY what you are looking for in a flat so that you have a bunch all lined up to see that very first day you can.  And you might want to have a place to live after those two weeks in case you can't find something & be able to move in within two weeks (hopefully it'll work!).  Perhaps your best bet right now is to find a short let (6 mo) so that if you hate the area or place, you'll only have to stay there a short while.

Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 10:45:45 PM »
i decided to stay in Citadines Barbican  (The City)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab