Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Having Entry clearance and going through the airport.  (Read 942 times)

• le club de l'autobus blanc!
  • Liked: 0
Having Entry clearance and going through the airport.
« on: June 29, 2005, 10:13:25 PM »
Yes, I have *another* question!

After receiving my visa and reading the moving issues forum, I am wondering what I am to expect when I arrive at Gatewick?

Will I have to go through customs, and be detained? Will my luggage be searched? I am flying over on a pretty long flight, so I just want to be prepared.

Thank you, as always!

Let's take our wigs off in the shopi aisle and fight it out.

Re: Having Entry clearance and going through the airport.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 11:33:43 PM »
I can't see a reason why you'd be detained if you have a visa. And, as long as you aren't detained, then they wouldn't be searching your luggage unless you're randomly searched at customs. My husband and I both went through the "nothing to declare" line and they were randomly selecting people to pull aside and search.

I just came through Glasgow a few weeks ago with my newly issued spousal visa and I was a bit nervous as I've been detained twice and denied entry once. But I had no problems at all. I took longer than anyone else to get through but it's because he was writing so much on my landing card (I think because it was my first time coming in on it?). He asked me a few questions like when I got married, if my husband was traveling with me and then he asked to see my husband's passport so he could write down his number. Then he told me to just apply for ILR a few months before my visa expires and welcomed me to the UK!

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. Immigration should be a breeze with your visa. :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 06:38:51 AM »
among_the_stars - just a note:  You can't apply for ILR any sooner than 4 weeks prior to the expiration of your spouse visa.  Not "a few months."  If you apply any sooner than 4 weeks, you will be refused and have to apply all over again (and pay again!).

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• finally home
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 11:19:14 AM »
been my experience on my few trips home that when i returned back to uk i just got asked a few questions by the customs people and off i went.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 11:35:57 AM »
The FIRST time I came in on my student visa, I had to show the letter of acceptance from my uni, in addition to my visa.  I was asked where I was staying, who was paying for my course, what I was studying.  You go through immigration before you get your bags so your stuff won't be searched.  Just walk through the 'nothing to declare' customs area.  Your visa gives you legal right to be in the UK so you're not doing anything wrong. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 12:07:33 PM »
Thanks, peedal. That's good to know. I wonder how many other people he's saying that to! lol

Also, wanted to add that I carried everything with me that I took to the consulate when I applied for my visa just in case they asked for anything. Might be a good idea, especially since Kristi mentioned they asked her for stuff.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 12:52:05 PM »
That was just the first time I went thru immigration with a brand new visa.  Since then, I've only been asked what I'm studying and not had to show any paperwork.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• le club de l'autobus blanc!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 04:17:06 PM »
Great, no worries.

Thank you all  :)

Let's take our wigs off in the shopi aisle and fight it out.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab