Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Paying taxes as a student?  (Read 1130 times)

• Liked: 0
Paying taxes as a student?
« on: June 29, 2005, 10:25:38 PM »
Hi everyone -

I'm moving to London in January for my PhD. In order to fund my studies (and myself!) I will receive a stipend for being a research assistant to my advisor.  Does this sort of thing get taxed? Currently I am a student/research assistant here in the States and this is like a normal paycheck that gets taxed, so I'm wondering if it's kinda the same deal and if I'll have to pay taxes to both the UK and US.

Thanks!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Paying taxes as a student?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 11:07:46 AM »
You might want to post this in the tax section...I don't know about the UK part, but you will have to post a tax return to the US...depending on how long you are here, you may not have to pay anything to the US...I would definitely read in the tax section about it all!

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 11:18:58 AM »
Your UK university is paying you, not still your US one, right?

I was a student and worked a bit more than part time this past tax year (not on a student visa so didn't have limits on my hours) - normal UK taxes came out of my paycheque and I did file a foreign income return and a 1040 but made FAR less than the threshold and so didn't owe US taxes. Essentially, if you make more than the threshold (something like $40,000 I think - can't remember - may have been more) you do in fact have to pay US income tax. There's an officially set exchange rate that you can use to calculate your earnings. You also might have to pay state depending on where you're from. I'm from California which is an exempt state so I didn't have to do anything about state taxes this year.

Hope that helped at least a little bit - sorry I can't be a bit less vague for you.... There are threads in the tax area that discuss both state and federal taxes that should answer your questions more thoroughly.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 04:53:36 PM »
Yeah, I checked the tax sections, got some general info, but just wanted to check and see if anyone had direct experience with this sort of thing.

And yes, the UK university will be paying me, as I'll no longer have ties to a US university.

Thanks!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 05:45:22 PM »
Then in that case you will pay UK taxes and you'll have to post your tax return (and it was something more like the equivalence of $80,000 beore you actually have to pay taxes to the US).

Sponsored Links