Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Student who will have a dependant  (Read 535 times)

• Liked: 0
Student who will have a dependant
« on: June 30, 2005, 07:39:44 PM »
I will be attending UCL this september for a postgraduate program and am trying to figure out how my fiance can come over with me. He has been applying to tons of jobs, but to no avail. I was thinking that I could probably have him as my dependant, but I can't find any information on this, and when I email the embassy with questions, they just tell me to look at the site, what should we do? Where can I find this information?

Thanks!

Re: Student who will have a dependant
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 08:54:51 PM »
It's my understanding that unless he can get a work permit, ancestry visa (if he's American, this means having a British parent.  If he's a Commonwealth national, it means having a British grandparent), BUNAC (which is only for 6 months), or student visa of his own, you will need to marry him in order for him to come here.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 09:19:32 PM »
So if we're married he can be my dependant? Can he work if he's my dependant? Do you know where I can find this information? (There is SO much out there!) Any help is really appreciated!!

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 09:32:49 PM »
Yes, if you marry he can come over here with you.  He can also work with no restrictions, which always struck me as odd b/c whereas a student can only work part-time during term times and full-time during term breaks, a dependent has no restrictions on the amount of hours he/she works.  But that's the way it is. 

Sponsored Links