Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another UK Payroll and Bank Account Question  (Read 932 times)

• Liked: 0
Another UK Payroll and Bank Account Question
« on: July 12, 2005, 06:24:25 PM »
So now I know most employers pay once a month.  When I first arrive, I will not yet have a bank account.  I know that most employers are keen to pay you by direct deposit.  Will they be okay with issuing my first check directly to me instead of direct deposit? 

What about temp agencies?  I know they pay weekly, do they pay by direct deposit or issue you a check directly? 
An American Werewolf in London...............

• Liked: 0
Re: Another UK Payroll and Bank Account Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 09:43:31 AM »
I know that there have been many here who have struggled to get a bank account when they first arrived.  I wasn't even allowed to be a joint account holder on my DH's account, some nonsense about not being on the electoral roll.

As soon as I had my first job, temping, I had no problems getting my own bank account for my wages to go to. 

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 11:59:14 AM »
I've already got a bank account, but I am curious what happens to your pay if you get a job before you get a bank account?

I recently registered with a temp agency, and they put my bank account info into their system as a matter of course. I don't know what they would have done if I'd said I didn't have a bank account.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »
Ask your employer for a letter saying that they've given you a job - take that to the bank as leverage to get an account. You may just get a cash account at first - i.e. no overdraft, cheque guarantee card, etc. but at least you can have your pay deposited. Then after six months return to the bank and ask if they can upgrade your account - after I had about six months of direct deposits into my cash account they upgraded me and now I've got an overdraft, cheque guarantee card and a credit card....

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 12:22:48 PM »
So now I know most employers pay once a month.  When I first arrive, I will not yet have a bank account.  I know that most employers are keen to pay you by direct deposit.  Will they be okay with issuing my first check directly to me instead of direct deposit? 

What about temp agencies?  I know they pay weekly, do they pay by direct deposit or issue you a check directly? 

When I first moved over on a work permit, I didn't have a bank account either. My Employer at the time was happy to cut me a check or transfer the money to my then boyfriend's account if I wanted them to. I think it depends on the employer, though. They have to give you your money somehow!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab