Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US medical debt..  (Read 944 times)

• Liked: 0
US medical debt..
« on: July 19, 2005, 05:12:12 AM »
I am getting married and moving to the uk in early september.  I was just hospitalized and put in the icu for five days for having meningitis.  I dont have any insurance.  Im totally stupid and decided not to sign up for it at my new(ish) job because I NEVER get sick. haha yeah, great.  i have no cobra option, so I am going to be applying for access but if that doesnt work im wondering what im gonna do if im going to have to owe tens of thousands of dollars to the hospital?! im thinking since im leaving the country anyways, i could just skip on the bill? eh. someone tell me im allowed to do this? ha :( crap..
married my husband and moved to england sept 2005, moved back to USA sept 2008

• Liked: 2
Re: US medical debt..
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 07:02:57 AM »
Sorry to hear you've been in the ICU  :o -- but you're well on your way to recovery.  I really wouldn't leave the country without paying your hospital bill.  Keep your bank account in the US - speak to the business office at the hospital and explain your situation -- you'll be able to pay it off in time by transfering money from your account in the UK to the US.

Take care!

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 07:23:03 AM »
Sorry to hear you've been ill...  :(    I hope you're much better now.

But you're joking, right?  About someone telling you it is ok to skip out without paying a bill?  :-X

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 09:45:09 AM »
When I was in college, I was admitted to the hospital and ended up with a HUGE bill.  I didn't have any insurance and had basically no income.  I called the hospital and explained the situation and they sent me through to something like a "charity" department.  They asked me to send in my most recent tax return -- upon seeing that I had no money, they cancelled my debt!   ;D  You might try calling the hospital to explain -- if you're really bad off, they may well cancel at least some (if not all) of the bill.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 06:23:01 AM »
Wow... i never knew that could be a possibility, Lola.
Something to look into, Karen?

Sponsored Links