Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pumpkin pie British style  (Read 1228 times)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Pumpkin pie British style
« on: September 16, 2003, 10:32:44 AM »
I edit the neighborhood newsletter, and it relies mainly on contributions from readers. However, not every month has a recipe handed in, so often I have to scrounge for something. This next issue being for October, I thought a themed idea and an answer to that age-old question I hear in these parts: What do I do with pumpkin after I carve the jack-o'lantern?

Imagine the jaws I had to pick up off the committee table last night when I announced the next recipe: Pumpkin Pie! No one in the room had ever tried it, but they were willing to go for it. My next problem? Converting the American recipe into British weights and measures...and changing ingredients to match up with the British counterparts.

I think I made a big mistake. Everyone in the neighborhood is going to make this thing and it's going to turn out awful because I made some sort of translation goof!

Well, the November committee meeting is at my house in November and I told them I would make a pumpkin pie for everyone to try. What I didn't tell them is I won't be following the recipe I put in the newsletter. I have a tin of Libby's in my cupboard waiting for such an occasion. At least this way they might think they did something wrong in making it themselves.  ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pumpkin pie British style
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 11:01:44 AM »
I love it!!!!

your pie will be delicious- and then if they all end up with terrible pies from the recipe- they'll probably be embarassed and will keep it quiet!

I had to respond to this because our first Thanksgiving here I was in my "make things just like home" mode and I had planned to make a pumpkin pie.  I had recipe, pie pans ingredients- everyhing except cans of pumpkin pie filling!  I looked and looked- nope- not sold here!

I didn't feel confident enuf to try to make a pie from actual real fresh pumpkin!!  what a crazy idea!! :o
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 04:14:12 PM »
I picked up a couple cans of Libbys at Harrods.  I still have one can.  Actually, I quite amuse myself by making a pie this way because back in the US I always used fresh pumpkin.  Thinking I just may have to do it that way this year. :)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 04:39:43 PM »
LisaE I have a recipe for Broken Glass Pie.  Now try getting them to make that!  Just hearing it I get weird looks.  Its really a good light creamy pie with - yup you guessed it - jello cut into chunks.  Good luck on the pumpkin pie.  That's my favorite.  But its becoming obsolete in my family as I seem to be the only one that loves it.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 03:53:46 PM »
Oh man, I seriously doubt you will get anyone over here to eat a pie made with Jello (they call it jelly here). The looks on their faces! I can just imagine!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 05:12:08 PM »
Tears of laughter y'all.

Tears of freaking laughter.

You have killed me Lisa.  ;)
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 08:03:43 PM »

I think I made a big mistake. Everyone in the neighborhood is going to make this thing and it's going to turn out awful because I made some sort of translation goof!

Ohhhh, how funny Lisa...  it has been so long since I have been able to meander around UKY...had to come in and see what wench was laughing so hard about....

Ohhhhh to be a fly on some of those british kitchen walls as they taste their pies....

[smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• having one of those days...
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 08:21:32 PM »
good for you, lisaE!! and good for your committee members, who are game to try it!

having made a pumpkin pie for christmas here one year (also a christmas treat at home) my family and friends balked. i think i ended up eating it with my then brother in law.

i've threatened them with sweet potato pie next!

let us know how the pies turned out!

elle, you've always made from scratch? wow...i've NEVER done that. our leftover pumpkin used to go into boiled pumpkin with soy sauce and sugar or pumpkin tempura.

*:)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2003, 08:23:51 PM by islandgirl »
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 09:09:32 PM »
Hey...why don't some of you bright young things ;) post some pumpkin recipes?  It's only next month that I, for one, will be carving up a pumpkin, it'd be nice to have something useful to do with its innards!  ;D
wench

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 09:13:54 PM »
ahhh wench.  I just got a few in the mail from a friend.  What's your interest?  I have.....Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Apple Dessert Pizza, Spicy Pumpkin Fudge, Pumpkin Muffins, Festive Pumpkin Pie, Soft Pumpkin Cookies-yes this is a bit different from mine.  I also have one of my own that I can recommend wholly.  Its called Double Layer Pumpkin Pie.  Its a pumpkin layer and a cream cheese layer.  Best part is this pie is not cooked.  Just the crust.  Yum.

See wench - you just had to ask right LOL

• Maggie
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2003, 09:43:57 PM »
Oh my goodness! They are making my mouth water just looking at them!  Is there any chance of sharing them with a group....like including me too?   ;D  please please please

I would love the double pumpkin thingy and pumpkin fudge (is it like our fudge or British fudge that is like tablet in Scotland?), actually in looking at them, I could list them all...please post or send what you can...I would love to make them for all my neighbors and friends that I am cooking Thanksgiving for over here...they might be grossed out and we will have tons left over   :P  Just foolin....well.....kinda foolin...ha ha ha  ;D
RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2003, 10:07:05 PM »

elle, you've always made from scratch? wow...i've NEVER done that. our leftover pumpkin used to go into boiled pumpkin with soy sauce and sugar or pumpkin tempura.

Yep.  When buying pumpkins for jack o' lanterns I usually bought a small to medium sized pumpkin especially for cooking.  I would gut it and cut the rind off and boil the chunks of pumpkin until they were soft.  Kind of like making mashed potatoes.  Then just measure out the mashed pumpkin in freezer bags and put them in the freezer.  Whenever I was wanting a pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread or pumpkin cake I'd just take out a bag of pumpkin from the freezer.  Worked like a charm and it was always nice to have fresh pumpkin to use rather than having to buy cans of it at the store.

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2003, 02:07:21 PM »
How bout all of the above?  Especially the double pie!  ;D
wench

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2003, 05:25:59 PM »
ok you got it wench.  Some of the ingredients might be hard to find - like marshmallow creme.  But I can only recommend two the double layer pumpkin pie and I have Eleanor Mondale's Pumpkin Bread recipe.  So watch this section.  I'll make a separate post for the recipes.

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2003, 09:50:37 PM »
ok you got it wench.  Some of the ingredients might be hard to find - like marshmallow creme.  But I can only recommend two the double layer pumpkin pie and I have Eleanor Mondale's Pumpkin Bread recipe.  So watch this section.  I'll make a separate post for the recipes.

Yum..I love pumpkin bread. Those recipes all sound good Karen..especially the pie. You know what else is good? Pumpkin empanadas. *drool* :P

Sponsored Links