Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: so soon?  (Read 2942 times)

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
  • Liked: 0
Re: so soon?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 02:06:13 PM »
And if you're lucky like I've been, the driver may even look out for your stop for you if the bus isn't too crowded!  ;)  I've had plenty of times where I'm not sure what where I'm going exactly looks like.  So I make a big deal about asking the driver and they usually remember and will stop for you and let you know it's your stop!  ;D

I am a Brit and I still do this in towns where I don't know where to get off. Just explain you are not sure where you are going and can he/she give you a shout when it's the correct stop- usually you'll find they will be happy to do so and people on the bus will chip in too.

I was almost lost in an area of Brighton last week, I asked the driver to give me a yell and then 3 ladies let me know it was the next stop- easy, just ask, on the whole, people here do want to help- if they can.  I certainly have heard people and helped them.
Born to shop..............forced to work

• Liked: 12
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 02:06:27 PM »
Believe me, I know how you feel. :( But I probably have felt much, much worse. A little while after I came over, I realized how lonely I suddenly was and how everything was so different. I felt like I didn't know how to do anything by myself anymore. Even the people seemed too different to relate to... sometimes it STILL feels like that for me, to be honest. I mean, they all grew up so differently than me knowing different things in a different country, so it's not the easiest thing to relate to alot of people from here on a deeper level than small talk. The only people I had to talk to in the beginning were my boyfriend's friends, and all they talked about was inside jokes and memories they shared. Needless to say I felt pretty left out. For months after I came over initially, I had nothing to do whatsoever and I think I literally was going crazy, and because of that I was so homesick. I thought starting uni would help, but no, on top of that I had an incredibly bad year with virtually no support at the uni I went to, and the people in my class gave me the cold shoulder all year, even though I tried to be nice. Furthermore, the lecturers were anti-American and they never complimented or gave me any encouragement on any of the work I did (only negative feedback), despite how hard I worked, and actually singled me out and enjoyed giving me a hard time. Because of them I lost almost all confidence in myself and my abilities. I think it was just the particular class I was in at the particular snobby uni I went to, but I literally had to go on anti-depression medication because of it. It was a nightmare. I think I was just VERY unlucky though, but because of that I really do sympathise with having a difficult adjustment. I kind of doubt ANYONE'S was as bad as mine.

Now things are FINALLY looking up for me. I have alot more confidence in myself now, probably because I've had a chance to recover from my horrible year, and I have transfered out of the uni I was at and going to a much more promising one, and I've gotten used to using public transportation by myself, which really helps. I agree with everyone else on here, try to get out more. And I bet things WILL start getting better once you have more to fill your day. Boredom and loneliness and doing nothing all day can really distort reality and cause depression ... try to stay busy and active, and keep working out as you're doing. You should be fine.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 02:09:59 PM by Honeybee »
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 02:37:34 PM »
thank you all. Honeybee, I'm so sorry you had it so rough. Good for you though on not giving up and for finding a better uni.  I am going to go to the corner shop and grab a paper or magazine. Then I will meet my honey at the gym by taking the bus. I spoke w/ a really supportive friend at home just now and she really made me feel better. I don't miss home yet, just want to feel more comfortable here. I know I will, and it will take time, this was just all of a sudden so soon. I thought I'd feel this way after a month, but not a few days. Just a bit shocking, guess that's why it's culture shock. You guys are so wonderful, thank you again. Carolyn, I will give you a call tonight and make some plans :)
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 02:39:49 PM »
Heat magazine is out today!  Go buy heat and a Picnic bar.  You'll feel much better.   :)

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 02:46:14 PM »
Aww Chin up Andrea.  I felt the same way about 4 days in.  I remember laying in bed at Anne's house and crying, for no reason in particular, just did.  Poor bf didn't know what my problem was.  I think it was just that I finally had a chance to think about what I'd done.  So much time before the actual move is filled with visas, packing, shopping, saying good-bye that I never gave myself a chance to really think about what I was doing. 

Give yourself time to adjust to living in a new place.  Get on the bus with no destination in mind, just to see where it goes and what you can find along the way.  (That was some of the best advice I got from otterpop about living in London).  Accept the fact that you'll get lost and not know where you are but look at the lost part as an adventure, you're finding out what's around your new neighbourhood. 

Before I started my uni, I was here about 7 weeks.  I was bored a lot but explored the city and tried to see something new every day.  If I wasn't up for a museum or something like that, I'd assign myself one errand a day, the post office, the newsagent, something to get me out of the house. 

Hang in there.  It does get easier!
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Then things got just plain Silly!
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 02:47:45 PM »
I can't offer any advice as I have no idea what it's like to be in your shoes. I just wanted to say Congrats on finally making it there, and I hope things look up for you, as I am sure they will, very soon  ;)  [smiley=hug.gif]
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 03:19:36 PM »
yes yes yes

heat saves me on my london bus rides!   ;)

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 03:37:30 PM »
Just got the sun b/c that's what my bf always gets. But, I did it!  :D  And, I even spoke to the cashier, not that he said anything back, but hey, it made me feel better. I also found another bus stop I can go to and I found a cute pizza place I will have to try next week for lunch. I will have to explore centre city this week or early next. You guys are right, getting out there is the best thing for me and the sooner I do it, the better I'll feel.

Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 04:42:34 PM »
YAY!  You did it!  Well Done. :) 

But the next time you have to buy Heat, and then we'll quiz you on it.   ;)

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 06:55:32 PM »
YAY!!!!!!

So proud of you!!!  Get out there and rule your world!!!  ;D

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 08:41:33 PM »
I burst into tears the day I arrived and then every day for a few weeks I would cry a little or a lot.  So, don't worry.  I went through this grievence crap (just read my posts) but I am feeling better now by working and getting out all the time.  You just have to feel it for a while.  I didn't have a honeymoon period where I thought everything was so cool either.  I was expecting one too.  Don't feel silly! 

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 09:01:13 PM »
  Get on the bus with no destination in mind, just to see where it goes and what you can find along the way.  (That was some of the best advice I got from otterpop about living in London).  

Aww... glad i could help!  :)

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2005, 10:07:35 PM »

Aww... glad i could help!  :)

Of course dear!  You're a blessing.  :D 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2005, 10:12:38 PM »
So glad you got out there!  It is so hard to take that first step!

But Mindy is right, get Heat!  Get used to all the UK celebrities so you know who all these people are.  (I still don't know them all being here 2 years!)

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2005, 01:29:49 AM »
I sent this thread to Simon.  I warned him - get ready, this is what you will have to deal with when I get there, and I don't want you to think I'm some freak of nature, but that this is totally normal and natural to be this way.

His response --- that's ok if you are like that, it will be fine and I will snuggle you.   :-*

Am I not the luckiest woman in the world??  (ok, ok, don't step over each other to fight for the spot!  hehehe)

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sponsored Links