Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: High speed internet and television questions  (Read 2537 times)

• LA to London - Woo hoo!
  • Liked: 0
High speed internet and television questions
« on: September 24, 2003, 02:23:27 AM »
Hi all!  My husband's company just informed us that our flat will not have cable or satellite TV or high speed internet access because we will only be there for 6 months.  They told us that everything requires a 12 month contract.

Is there any kind of pay-as-you go or monthly service for either TV or high-speed internet access?  The thought of limited TV and no internet access for 6 months has me not even wanting to deal with moving!  J/K, but the no internet is a major problem, since that's how I was planning on paying bills.

Thanks!

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
Re: High speed internet and television questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 02:54:12 AM »
You can still get dial-up through BT along with your phone service.  In my experience in Edinburgh, the dial-up is a lot better than it is in the states.  

As for TV, you get 5 channels on the antenna (don't forget to pay your tv licence though).  The shows are pretty good too.  You'll soon learn all the characters on Eastenders!!

Frances

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 09:33:13 PM »
I know that at least with NTL, if you sign up then move 6 months later to an area that's unserviceable, your contract is automatically cancelled... and if you move to another area that IS serviced by them you can transfer your service for free.  

I don’t know if you’re scared of a contract, period (for any amount of time) or you were just worried about the 12 month thing…. either way, hope that helps!!
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 11:02:05 PM »
Yep thats what happened with us ...We signed up with NTL when we were in Gidea Park and then decided to move (approx six months later) to Heybridge-Maldon.  NTL offered to move the service for free but then they contacted us to say is wasnt available in the area and that the contract would be cancelled/void.  

Now I'm back to watching 4 channels only....cant pick up the 5th one.....Well that is until I can find time to check into Sky, hehe.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 11:07:21 PM by ItsBcoz »
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• LA to London - Woo hoo!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 12:41:47 AM »
Thanks for the info.  My husband's office manager just told us, oh, NTL requires a 12 month contract, so you won't be able to get anything.  I suppose moving back to the States qualifies as moving to an area that can't be serviced!!  ;)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 01:14:01 AM »
hehe ...definitely .....go for it!
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab