Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to break the (moving) news?  (Read 1137 times)

• Liked: 0
How to break the (moving) news?
« on: August 27, 2005, 01:33:20 AM »
Does anyone have advice on how to break the news to family about moving? I've mentioned it to my parents before, but they though I was just fooling around saying I wanted to move to England. My family is very patriotic about their country, so I'm trying to avoid offending them. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 01:57:03 AM by L.J. »

Re: How to break the news?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 01:52:00 AM »
Just do it...

no, seriously, if this is something you WANT to do and are passionate about you shouldn't deny yourself because you don't want to offend your family.

Of course this depends on your situation (which I don't know anything about)... do you already have a job? do you already have a plan? Share all of those details. Passion is infectious so hopefully your family was support you.

It sounds like you already broke the ice about moving to England so it won't be a complete bombshell.

My personal story was telling my family my decision to move to Kenya. They didn't know until two months before I left... that's when I knew for sure where I would be and I had a plan to share. Over the two years I considered it while in grad school I am sure there were hints dropped. My mom wasn't thrilled about me moving to a third world country and she questioned my motives about "saving the world"... which was the furthest thing from my mind!! I just wanted to live abroad and have someone pay for it!! After awhile she saw my passion for my new future and she started forwarding me articles and helping me get ready.

You may be surprised, your move may actually bring you and your family together.

Good luck to you!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 02:30:29 PM by jklm725 »

Re: How to break the news?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 01:08:31 PM »
Of course this depends on your situation (which I don't know anything about)... do you already have a job? do you already have a plan? Share all of those details. Passion is infectious so hopefully your family was support you.

I agree - just do it and be as positive and excited as possible - hopefully they won't want to bring you down. But if you show any hesitation or act unsure at all, they WILL grab that and run with it - at least a couple of my friends did.

I told a tiny white lie to make it go down easier with my mom - I presented it that I was going to go to uni. to do my Master's degree and also get to know my (then) bf better. Then by the time we got married a year later it was easier for her to understand why I was staying AND she'd come to realize that distance is managable with phone calls, visits, etc.

Re: How to break the (moving) news?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 02:48:40 AM »
LJ-
Jennifer & Anne speak from experience; just do it. 
I've been telling my family I'm moving to England since I was a little kid.  Now that I've got an actual, solid plan to move over (uni. in January) they're still treating the announcement as if it's coming from a little girl (I may be the youngest, but I'm 37 for pete's sake!). 
If moving to England is what it takes to make you happy (as it is in my case), you HAVE TO make that clear to your family.  Afterall, they love you and want to see you happy, don't they?  If it's important to you, it should be important to them.  And with the internet you're never too far away!  Added selling point: most of my friends and siblings are thrilled that they'll have a place to stay (my floor!) and a tour guide when they come over! 
Sell it.  And don't be afraid.

Marybeth

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 02:50:46 AM »
Oh, one more thing....
You say your family is very patriotic?  Well, England is part of "the coalition of the willing" isn't it?  I mean, it's not like you're moving to France ;)!

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 09:53:47 AM »
LJ, moving to the Uk does not make you unpatriotic. You are an American...you will continue to be an American. When I told my family they were very shocked and wondered why I would even consider living somewhere else. After explaining to them the financial advantages (to me) of moving as well as the professional benefits, they came around. The bottom line was their fear that they would never see me. When I explained that I plan to come home at least every 12-18  months, they felt better.

Just be honest with your family about why you are going.

Good luck...hope it turns out well.
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

Sponsored Links