Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh, my, we are getting creative, aren't we?  (Read 1324 times)

Oh, my, we are getting creative, aren't we?
« on: August 29, 2005, 07:16:19 PM »
This is the website for a woman who writes "inspirational" romances.  Click on the book cover itself to get one of the worst, stupidest marketing ploys I've seen in a long time.

http://www.deeannegist.com/

(Make sure the volume is up!)

Re: Oh, my, we are getting creative, aren't we?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 07:37:06 PM »
NO!!!!!!!!!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 08:07:11 PM »
So let me get this straight. That's not supposed to be funny, right?  ;)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 04:50:15 AM »
Wow! I wish my white shirt stayed so white and my makeup flawless after my weeks long transatlantic journey.  ;D
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 10:26:25 AM »
So let me get this straight. That's not supposed to be funny, right?  ;)

Well, according to the blurb on the side:
"For readers who enjoy a touch of humor with their history, Deeanne Gist offers a romantic tale [with] plenty of dramatic twists to keep the pages turning."
  It is supposed to be funny. ::)

You don't want to get me started on my opinion of Historical Romance - or the Romance genre in general - anyway.  Pul-eeze!  Historical Fiction?  Yes, fine, good.  Historical Romance?  Nowhere near any of those adjectives.

That is funny ~states the obvious~ just in a pathetic way, which I am sure, the author (and marketing agents) did not intend.  Creative?  Yes.  This is what I would call impressively creative stupidity. 

Thanks for sharing. ;D
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 01:16:28 PM »

You don't want to get me started on my opinion of Historical Romance - or the Romance genre in general - anyway.  Pul-eeze!  Historical Fiction?  Yes, fine, good.  Historical Romance?  Nowhere near any of those adjectives.

Oh, no, I'd love to hear how you think historical romance, and romance in general,  is garbage.  Please do share.  I assume you've read a lot of them?  So you can accurately judge that all of them are crap?

No, I don't think she meant for the preview to be funny, I really don't.  It just turned out that way, unfortunately.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »
I happen to like historical romances...if that makes me a sad individual then so be it..I thought the purpose of reading was for entertainment and knowledge...

My all time favorite author is Beatrice Small that wrote the Skye O'Malley series..and I read these in my early 20's she tells it all like you are standing right there..the description of the times is brilliant.

I miss being able to get the historical romances that are published in the USA the ones here are quite the same.

I for one do not like Science Fiction or Science Fantasy..

I do like the Kathy Reich books tho....

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 01:32:19 PM »
I have found in my - yes, quite extensive - reading (and in managing a bookstore, where I got to read loads of synopses, and sneak skims of the books), that there is little depth to that particular genre the majority of the time (there are always exceptions, however :) ).  It tends to be very predictable, as well, and the same plots get rehashed, just with different names and different places and different titillating covers, ad nauseum.  I, obviously, have not read every book out there, nor could I, or would I want to; and, I think we all tend to stick with the genres that suit us, entertain us, and speak to us best.  And, I hate getting into arguments...so, I guess I shouldn't have opened up my previous post with a statement that would obviously, and correctly, be considered judgemental and instigating in nature. :-\\\\  Sorry 'bout that.  Really, I was just sharing an opinion, not so much the why's and wherefore's of it...  I should have just posted, "Yeah, that is funny...and pathetic", and left it at that. 

Again...sorry.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 01:34:29 PM by Songmistress »
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 01:41:19 PM »
Well, as a member of Romance Writers of America, I can't help but get a little upset when I see comments like that.  Without trying to argue with you-you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, and if romance is not your taste, it's not your taste-reading a synopsis is not reading a whole book.  Yes, a lot of story lines are recycled, and yes, that is shameful.  But tell me, how many fantasy storylines are recycled?  I've read quite a few of them and frankly, they all struck me as having rather the same storyline-mythical quest, band of unlikely allies, battling evil.  I read the Dragonlance series and found it interesting but terribly written.  Some romances are terribly written, too.  I just don't think you can condemn an entire genre based on back-cover blurbs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 02:55:46 PM by Saf »

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »
I was never one for romances either, but I have read quite a few, having worked at a bookstore. Still isn't my top choice of material, but I can see the draw, and I did like Diana Gabaldon (is that right?)- her Outlander/ Dragonfly in Amber/ Fiery Cross books. . . They were good.
I still like my Dean Koontz and Robin McKinley more. And Jane Austen.  ;D I'm eclectic.
"It has been wisely said that we cannot really love anybody at whom we never laugh"    - Agnes Repplier

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 01:51:39 PM »
  Yes, a lot of story lines are recycled, and yes, that is shameful.  But tell me, how many fantasy storylines are recycled?  I've read quite a few of them and frankly, they all struck me as having rather the same storyline-mythical quest, band of unlikely allies, battling evil. 

You know- I rewrite fairy tales as a hobby- and have done quite a bit of research into literary archetypes, and pretty much all plots are nothing new/ recycled- it's all in the presentation of the story, though, that makes it work or not- and I don't think all storylines resonate with all people- it depends of your past, your dreams, your desires- and obviously some "not so good" versions of some stories will appeal much more to you than a well written version off a plot you don't "click" with. . . although you can admire/ respect the quality of the writing.
But this is just me being philosophical.
"It has been wisely said that we cannot really love anybody at whom we never laugh"    - Agnes Repplier

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 01:56:14 PM »
you're right missy mo.......i can remember one of the basics of my creative writing 101 was the certain elements that are reused in every genre in a certain number of combos.  it wasn't big at all actually, maybe around 100?

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 02:00:13 PM »
I think basic bare-bones structural may be only about 25- but that leaves room for SERIOUS poetic & literary license. (Thank God or we'd all be bored to tears by now)

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 02:55:17 PM »
You know- I rewrite fairy tales as a hobby- and have done quite a bit of research into literary archetypes, and pretty much all plots are nothing new/ recycled- it's all in the presentation of the story, though, that makes it work or not- and I don't think all storylines resonate with all people- it depends of your past, your dreams, your desires- and obviously some "not so good" versions of some stories will appeal much more to you than a well written version off a plot you don't "click" with. . . although you can admire/ respect the quality of the writing.
But this is just me being philosophical.

And I agree, but I think what Songmistress had in mind was certain lots that are pretty much specific to romance.  If you view it in those terms, all romances have the same basic story, but how we get from point A to point B vaires.  There are some plots that are overused in romance-the "secret baby" ( ::)) comes to mind-and some that are overused simply because they're the best way to get your characters together.  In medieval times, people were married for land and title rather than love.  That's a fact, and a good way to get your hero and heroine togther in a romance.  It's what you do with them after that that tells us how good a writer you are.  That's why I think that just reading a back cover blurb can't really tell you much about how good the book is.  I can write a back cover blurb for "Pride and Prejudice" that makes it sound like every other romance out there.
In fact, that sounds like fun.

"Elizabeth Bennet had given up hope of ever finding a man who would ignore the conventions and love her for herself.  Her family was too poor to provide her with the kind of dowry most men would expect, so Elizabeth has almost reconciled herself to a life alone, sewing and keeping her addled mother company.

Fitzwilliam Darcy is looking for a woman with syle, grace, and intellect-and a woman who can be his equal financially and socially.  Elizabeth has no hope of ever being the kind of woman he could marry-so why, then, can he not get her sparkling eyes and zest for living out of his mind?

Will Elizabeth learn to give up some of her prickly pride and give Darcy a chance to show he's not as arrogant as she thinks he is?  Will Darcy get over his prejudices and allow himself to truly feel love?"

Sounds a bit lame, huh?

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 03:03:08 PM »
Aw, Saf. You derailed my de-fuse attempt.
 :)
Yes you're right- (who WRITES those back cover blurbs anyway- half the time I just wonder if the author pick us the finished copy and moans "Oh, God- that sounds AWFUL- isn't anywhere NEAR what the book's about" and prays no one reads the back.)

Sponsored Links