Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Left hospital with a broken nose from a horrible nurse  (Read 1350 times)

Left hospital with a broken nose from a horrible nurse
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:06:52 PM »
I have Neurofibromatosis Type 1, its where I am prone to tumors both externally and internally. They are about the size of a pimple.
 Last night one of my tumors I have on my skin broke open and a bunch of blood came pouring out like water from a faucet,after 10 minutes of this we decided I needed to go to the A&E,for the simple fact that I've never had my tumors do that before and being 33 weeks pregnant,we figured its best get it checked out.
In the examining room, the nurse comes in ,and she can barely speak 2 words of english, I had to explain to her about 5 times why I am there and whats going on. After I got done explaining,she was more intrested in the fact that I am prone to tumors then the fact that I'm sitting there with my clothes and hands covered in blood from this tumor . and so then she decides to put a bunch of pressure on the place where its bleeding, her whole body weight of pressure,so my nose ends up getting broken,and what does she do? Tells me to put more pressure on it! After that she treated me like a guini pig,calling people in to see the rest of the tumors on my body instead of taking care of what  I came in there for in the first place ::) I hope I never have to deal with her again.
Luckily it eventually clotted and stopped bleeding for now

Re: Left hospital with a broken nose from a horrible nurse
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:09:10 PM »
Oh Carly Im sorry to hear that! So are you bandaged up? How you feeling now?
Its hard enough dealing with the late stages of pregnancy but do deal with this is just horrible :(

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:18:07 PM »
I'm doing okay now, was doing awful at the hospital,was there for almost 5 hours, and baby sensed me being upset so I kept having braxton hicks really bad, I was worried I was going into labor,lol And seeing the words MRSA everywhere in the hospital didn't help  :P
Its not bandaged anymore but it probably will start bleeding again at some point until I get it cut off at the dermotologist. I just hope my baby doesn't get what I have :(

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:18:53 PM »
Write a letter send it to the NMC and the hospital....these types of nurses just shouldn't continue "caring" for patients...have you got any paperwork from your visit ? did she sign any of the papers? do you have her name ...I swear these are the types of nurses I end up being "mentored" by ..it's ridiculous.

I see it all the time these calous nurses walking around and people have genuine complaints but they don't report it because they feel there's nothing that can be done about...not on , that's just not on!!

>:(
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:25:17 PM »
Write a letter send it to the NMC
Whats the NMC? I've never heard of them

have you got any paperwork from your visit ? did she sign any of the papers
Suprisingly enough, I didn't get any discharge papers, I just figured the UK didn't give them so I didn't mention it when I left. I'm going to call the hospital tomorrow and try and find out her name

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 10:42:50 PM »
Whats the NMC? I've never heard of them
They are the Nursing and Midwifery Commission

they basically hold records of every practicing nurse in the UK if you know her name then you can get her pin and file a complaint

http://www.nmc-uk.org/(ijg4wi45w1myxl55s4tcncak)/aArticle.aspx?ArticleID=1538
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 10:45:06 PM »
Definitely complain! You're not supposed to leave hospital in a worse state than when you went in! I'm sorry you've had such a horrible experience, expecially when you're pregnant. That nurse wants shooting.

• how about a nice cup of hoffee?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 12:21:56 AM »
Was she a nurse or a health care assistant or soemthing else?   It doesn't matter either way because if she broke your nose she should be out of a job.  Its just a lot of time people assume that every female working in a hospital is a qualified nurse when there are a lot of unqualified care assistants working on our licenses that don't give a damn and give qualified nurses a bad name.  To be honest on a lot of the wards unlicensed untrained staff far outnumber the Registered Nurses and their uniforms don't look that different so people get confused.  Most people just assume that any female in a uniform at a hospital is a "nurse" which is annoying.   If she can't speak enough english yet to communicate I can't imagine she has a full on pin number.  If she doesn't have a pin number she isn't a nurse.  People have to show that they are qualified in English to be licensed to practice nursing the UK and get a pin number ...well supposedly anyway.

Anyway thats all beside the point.  I would complain to the hospital and the A&E department itself and get her busted. 

By the way that wasn't a rant against health care assistants since most of them are life savers.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 04:19:49 AM »
How awful! Hope you're feeling better soon!
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 08:03:13 AM »
I'm taking it by face value if it was a nurse then it should be registered as a complaint they are not going to be struck off immediately they are going to be given additional credited hours in order to reflect on their procedure or lack there of...that occurred with a nurse at one of the hospitals I worked in when she restrained a child incorrectly. I can't say that happens to every nurse but so far it's been a push by the nmc to get every nurse up to date ...

You are right Nicole there are HCA walking around thinking they are already trained nurses because they've seen nurse x do it and there is a confusion of nurses , hca , student , cadet nurse and the lot..but HCA are not NVQ trained to asses a patient they don't even receive anatomy and physiology training...if it was an HCA that treated EY then there is a problem with the A&E department because HCA shouldn't be the first person to asses you that's why I was asking if this nurse was the one that signed any paperwork ...which I'm perplexed by because even with an A&E visit ...patients get some sort of paperwork..or is that just in the hospitals I've done ..is it different outside of London ???

I've got a feeling this was a Bank staff nurse..which is quite popular in the hospitals I've work for ..they have to have a number of reg nurses at different grades and in order to maintain this quote they have bank staff coming in...which they come in their company issued uniforms and badges (if any )

anyway it's up to you really...I would complain not because I want to get her busted but sometimes a health care worker doesn't know they are practicing incorrectly.

• how about a nice cup of hoffee?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 10:00:28 AM »
I've got a feeling this was a Bank staff nurse..which is quite popular in the hospitals I've work for ..they have to have a number of reg nurses at different grades and in order to maintain this quote they have bank staff coming in...which they come in their company issued uniforms and badges (if any )

Aha bingo.  That makes more sense.  That's true that an HCA wouldn't be doing that kind of assesment but a bank staff nurse would be allowed, even though she may not know jack about A&E. 

I my hospital was more like the ones you worked for Alicia.  Ours won't allow us to use bank or agency staff, nor will they allow our staff to work overtime.  Went into work on friday and I was the only staff nurse on an early shift for 30 acute medical patients, had one HCA, and no ward clerk.  Management refused to allow anyone to work overtime to cover or get agency in because of the cost.  I worked my ass off and still the patients really suffered because I couldn't be ten places at once.  That's it, I am phoning the NMC to ask if that kind of staffing is legal and to see if my license is at risk and what to do.  I think the answer is get the hell out of nursing fast.

Sorry for the thread hijack,  I will get back onto topic now.  I am interested in hearing if anything happens to this nurse or whatever she was.   I hope that Englandsyank gets a massive apology from that hospital.

Just a side note, I don't think our A&E sends anyone home with any paperwork either.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 01:00:44 PM »
If you called the office and asked who you were seen by, would they tell you?  ???
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 09:55:35 PM »
I work for the NHS and have been reading a few of your comments (complaints) Anytime that a patient goes to the A & E in any hospital in the Country the consultation, treatment and any medication is faxed to your Dr's Surgery and will be put on computer for reference should you visit your GP.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 10:26:03 PM »
Oh Carly I am so sorry that happened to you!  How awful!  I really hope you do something about it!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab