Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: moving horses to the UK  (Read 1614 times)

• Liked: 0
moving horses to the UK
« on: September 21, 2005, 06:33:26 PM »
I've been following the threads about dogs and cats, as if we come over, we have four dogs and 2 cats, but we also have a number of horses. (we live on a small, at least by New Mexico standards, horse farm)

I'm assuming the best thing to do is to try and find good homes for the horses before we go, but one of them will be especially hard to part with (big warmblood mare, with a breeding contract to a top Trakehner stallion, nice jumper, all around good horse).

Anyone brought a horse over?

Re: moving horses to the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 07:20:15 PM »
Hi there, looks like you're getting lots of readers on this post, but no responders.  I don't recall anyone on UKY ever shipping a horse; hopefully someone will jump in there if I'm wrong.  There was one horse-owner on here who found a new home for her horse before she left the U.S.  But race horses do fly internationally all the time, so the horse's safety/care shouldn't be something to really fret about.  It will be a very expensive proposition though.

As you probably know, horses don't fall under the PETS.  Here's some info from DEFRA about shipping horses:

Q34. Import and Export of Horses, Route Plans and Export Licenses

A34. Information on importing or exporting horses and whether your horse will require a route plan or an export license can be obtained on the Defra website, via e-mail or by calling the following telephone numbers:

Imports

Internet address: www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-trde/gen-inf/contacts.htm#Imports
Telephone: 020 7904 6973/6435
E-mail: iah-imports@defra.gsi.gov.uk

Good luck to you.
Bored

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 12:03:18 AM »
I'm afraid I'm of no help on costs and shipment methods for horses from US to UK but I did think of something.  DW gets a horse magazine and I'd remembered that they were talking about Horse Passports in them.  As of fairly recently, you must have a passport for your horse in the UK and I believe this follows along EU laws:  http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/horses/topics/passports.htm.

I'm not sure if passports are required in the US but if you import a horse into the UK you have 30 days to get a passport for her.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 01:47:29 AM »
I'll see if I can locate a member of my yahoo group that moved her horse over to the UK (she's into dressage).

I'll pm you as soon as I locate her addy!!!

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 01:54:00 AM »
Oh, dear Lord, and I thought I was brave shipping two cats over! Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out okay!
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 04:02:21 AM »
Oh, dear Lord, and I thought I was brave shipping two cats over! Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out okay!

I agree! Best of luck and let us know how it goes!  :o  :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 05:23:44 PM »
Hello -

I haven't been around uk-yankee recently, so I only just saw this post.
I too am planning on bringing a horse to the UK. In some ways it's simpler than bringing dogs and cats, though not cheaper! I still have to get quotes on shipping costs involved. I do know that the basic process is:

You normally organise the whole thing through an eqiune shipping company and you pay for all of it as a package.
The horse goes into 30 day pre-export isolation boarding at an approved facility before shipping, various vaccination and testing requirements are also taken care of at this time.
Then the horse is taken to the airport by the equine shipping company and loaded into the special shipping crate - the crates are big wooden horseboxes, which can be divided into two or three standing stalls similar to those in a horse trailer. Most horses can be shipped with two others, some are shipped with one other, or alone. The cost depends on how much space your horse needs. The crate is loaded on the plane, and there is a certified groom who travels along with the shipment of horses. The horses can be inspected and fed while in transit.
Then on arrival, for my horse at least he'd just be shipped to his final destination (I assume there's paperwork to be handled, etc, but that'a also part of the package you pay for. )
My boy is a gelding though, so I'm not 100% sure if there might be further checks on the UK end for potential breeding animals. I haven't actually seen mention of anything though. I know there are for breeding animals coming in to the USA, but I think that's because the US is clear of most of the potential sexully transmitted diseases of horses that exist in the UK and the rest of Europe. So there might not be additional quarantine.

I have found various ballpark figures for the cost, but have yet to get any actual quotes. The ballpark figures have all been within the same range though. That range is less than the price of a horse of similar value  to mine in the UK. Plus he's my dream horse, so he gets to stay mine despite the expense of shipping I think ;-)

I'm still looking for recommendations of good equine shippers though! I've tried contacting a few through their online quote request systems and have never gotten a response. I'm more than slightly annoyed at this!  what use is an online form if no-one responds to queroies made through it? I'll have to contact the companies in question through phone or email before I give up on them though, as at least one of the ones that I tried to use the form for came recommended by someone else online. *sigh*

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 06:18:49 PM »

DITTO!  I call Raisin my million dollar doggie!  Good luck!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab