Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Visas and the EU?  (Read 836 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
British Visas and the EU?
« on: October 17, 2003, 06:15:00 PM »
Hello,

I am a US Citizen marrying a British Citizen and was wondering if I would be able to move to a different country in the EU if my spouse gets a job transfer?  Would I be able to work within the EU as long as I had my British marriage visa and I lived with my wife?  This one of the questions my FiancĂ© brought up,  beings how her job isn't that stable at the moment.

Thanks for your time.

• Liked: 2
Re: British Visas and the EU?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 06:27:53 PM »
Your British visa only allows you to be in the UK so you need to apply to whichever country it is you are going to in Europe.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 02:25:53 PM »
I think this situation would change if, after three years on a Spouse Visa, you decided to apply to British Naturalization. Then you would have all the benefits as a British subject...which I believe then opens up this EU possibility. Don't trust me on this; merely a guess.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 05:54:50 PM »
The answer is yes you can live and work in any EU country but you need the relevent permit, and I'm not sure of the details on this.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 06:00:29 PM »
I looked into the situation in Spain and yes you can work in other EU countries provided the spouse has a job and can show that they are established there.  Meaning it would take a few months and you would have to make the Visa application in the country you would be residing in. The proof is very similar to what you need to move to the UK...proof of support and not living off of the government while there. Having a bank statement, job offer etc.  The best thing is to check into the Embassy webistes for the countries you are interested in.  

And yes once you hold that dual citizenship you can enter and apply to work in any EU country just like a Brit. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 06:01:31 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links