Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Duel Citizenship: gov & civil service work?  (Read 878 times)

Duel Citizenship: gov & civil service work?
« on: October 17, 2003, 09:59:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was reading through posts of "journey to duel citizenship" and something struck me as interesting, to quote:

One of the benefits is also that with British citizenship you are eligible for posts in certain government-type agencies.  Such as the Crown Prosecution Service, serving as a Police Officer, working for the Home Office (   ), and a few other places I would have liked to apply for but can't because of the citizenship requirement.  The fact I couldn't apply for a perfect position with the CPS just gutted me.  But in just a few short years...!  

Is this the case with all government and civil service jobs? Beyond naturalisation or duel citizenship must one be a "complete citizen" to practise law, work for a gov agency or be a civil servant in the UK?

I know this question is rather elementary and definately would not apply to me for quite a few years but its something that I may or may not have to think about after my MA--especially as it all my apply to going to law school or whatnot.

Related side question: has any American here completely forsaken their American citizenship? Why and what are the positives and drawbacks of such?
thanks,

Samantha***

Re: Duel Citizenship: gov & civil service work
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 01:52:27 AM »
Samantha, if you search in this topic you'll find a post I did with a link to a dual citizenship web site.  It's a new topic so just look at topics I started.

There are restrictions on the level of government jobs dual citizens can take and keep their US citizenship.  The link provides a lot of info on it.

Good luck!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 06:37:54 AM »
Samantha,

I'm sure the link SAF mentions above will be helpful, but just my own experience -

Practicing law outside of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) would not require you to be a British Citizen.

Most civil service jobs do require this.  However, there are lots of Non-Departmental Public Bodies (NDPB's) in the public sector which one can gain employment from without citizenship.  These organisations give all the civil service 'perks' to employees, but are considered limited companies...even though their funding and reporting lines go to Govt. Departments.  

So you can get public sector jobs here without citizenship....but there are limited options.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 02:50:34 PM »
Also, you pretty much give up your US Citizenship if you ENLIST in any of the UK Armed Forces.  As far as non-enlisted personnel positions, I don't know.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 02:47:06 AM »

Samantha,

I'm sure the link SAF mentions above will be helpful, but just my own experience -

Practicing law outside of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) would not require you to be a British Citizen.

Most civil service jobs do require this.  However, there are lots of Non-Departmental Public Bodies (NDPB's) in the public sector which one can gain employment from without citizenship.  These organisations give all the civil service 'perks' to employees, but are considered limited companies...even though their funding and reporting lines go to Govt. Departments.  

So you can get public sector jobs here without citizenship....but there are limited options.

Thank you so much for the imput....what I have bolded is what concerns me the most---limited movement.

But for the time being the best I can do is keep working extra hard here at the university and take atvantage of one really big opportunity I am being offered this summer--if finances work ;)

....Too uncertain to say what that is right now ;)

Another related question: do you know what the full consequences are if one gives up their American citizenship entirely? As a person born in the United States os that even possible?

SAF: I couldn't find your link
:(

thanks,

Samantha***

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 10:37:16 AM »
I think you may have misunderstood me, Samantha.  A limited company just means that the company is private and the owner can't be sued personally for any debts, etc...it's kind of like an incorporated company in the US.  It doesn't have anything to do with limiting movement.  :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 01:57:42 PM »
I think even if you give up your US Citizenship, you still have to pay taxes for a certain number of years - check the Taxes section.  
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 04:31:23 PM »

SAF: I couldn't find your link
:(

thanks,

Samantha***

I brought the thread back up for you.  There are some replies to it with further links.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 09:02:49 PM »
THANKS SAF! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab