Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a NIN, grrrrrrrrrr  (Read 1067 times)

• Liked: 0
Getting a NIN, grrrrrrrrrr
« on: October 22, 2005, 11:48:29 PM »
I just can't seem to get a NIN number.  I keep calling and emailing them, but I cannot get through.  My employer told me not to worry too much about it since the emergency tax amount is the same amount a single person gets taken out of their paycheck anyways. 

Any luck with others?  Tell me what lengths you have gone to get your number.  My goal is to obtain one (at least an appt) by the end of the month.
An American Werewolf in London...............

Re: Getting a NIN, grrrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 11:58:19 PM »
*sigh*  I know how you feel.. its not easy to get anywhere on the phone with these people...   :-\\\\
But don't worry... once you get an appointment, its a piece of cake.   ;)

Try this link from the DWP for some valuable info...
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp#where

Good luck to you!   x
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 11:20:46 AM »
Everything to do with the DWP (formerly the DSS, formerly the DHSS, etc.) is slow and bureaucratic.   You can expect obfuscation, different answers to the same question from different people, and pointless forms which ask you for the same information over and over again.

If it's not costing you anything, don't worry about it.    You'll get the number manana, or more likely next month, or next year.........

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 11:28:14 AM »
You'll also be able to claim back any extra tax you paid during this period. The temporary number tax rate is only 1% more than the normal rate.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 03:18:24 PM »
COMPLETELY off topic.......but am I the only one who thinks "Nine Inch Nails" every time they see NIN?

Sorry! Had to ask!  ;D
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 05:47:29 PM »
I had to go to the office in person to get anywhere with these people.  I am positive if I hadn't shown up on their doorstep, so to speak, I still wouldn't have my NI number; calling on the phone got me nowhere, kept getting the conflicting information, ect. 
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 10:50:13 AM »
COMPLETELY off topic.......but am I the only one who thinks "Nine Inch Nails" every time they see NIN?

Sorry! Had to ask!  ;D

Yes,lol.. ;D Every single time I see NIN in the forum, I think to myself, why are they talking about Nine Inch Nails again,lol.

Angela

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 11:29:39 AM »

Yes,lol.. ;D Every single time I see NIN in the forum, I think to myself, why are they talking about Nine Inch Nails again,lol.

Angela

Thank you! At least if we are crazy, we have company!  ;D
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 11:38:47 AM »
Don't stress Londonitis - It is frustrating, but in the big picture, it's not necessary for anything if you already have a job.  Your employer can still pay you without one.   I think I gave it to my employer 3-4 months after I started and it hardly changed my take home pay. 

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 05:05:39 AM »
I had no trouble getting mine on Wednesday last.  I simply rang the office and said I needed an appt for my NI number.  They told me what documents to bring in the confirmation letter they posted to me.  I went, sat there, the guy filled out my forms and I left.  It's not a big deal or an arduous process.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 01:15:51 PM »
I had no trouble getting mine on Wednesday last.  I simply rang the office and said I needed an appt for my NI number.  They told me what documents to bring in the confirmation letter they posted to me.  I went, sat there, the guy filled out my forms and I left.  It's not a big deal or an arduous process.

Lucky you! :)  I've not had the chance to see what a deal/process it is or isn't yet -- just getting my local office to answer the phone is a big deal and an arduous process. :P
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 07:55:03 PM »
I had my emergency tax refunded before I got my permanent NIN, while I was still using the temporary one.  Inland Revenue doesn't seem to need the NIN to figure out your taxes.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab