Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NEED YOUR ADVICE PLZ  (Read 694 times)

• happy in England
  • Liked: 0
NEED YOUR ADVICE PLZ
« on: October 23, 2005, 06:50:02 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here and have only post a couple of times, but my husband(UKC) and I(USC) are wanting to move to the UK. He is there now. He left the US about 3weeks ago and went back to find a job and a house for us. We want to move in late spring or early summer, but I'm torn here on when and how so that is where you come in  ;) We were thinking of April or May, but we will be married 4yrs July 6,2006 and I know there is that 4yrs rule where you can get leave to remain before entering the UK. So I was wondering if we did move in April or May and I get a spousal visa and enter the UK then after we are married 4yrs apply for LTR from UK or would it be better or easier to wait till July and file then for LTR from the US? I've been reading the Immigration sites for the UK but you just never really get a clear understanding of it all, at least I'm not anyway lol,and well I guess thats why there are these sites right? lol I know when I was doing US immigrations for my husband immigrate2us.com was a god send. I would have never got through it without everyone's experience and edvice.
 Also 1 other question about dual citizenship. I haven't found a clear answer on that. How do you do that and how long do you have to wait or live in the UK before you can attempt to apply for that?
  Thank you for any help or advise I appreciate it. ;D

Re: NEED YOUR ADVICE PLZ
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 06:54:32 PM »
Thing is, there's a cost involved in applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain and LTR.  So if you come in on LTR, and then apply for ILR, you'll need to pay for both visas.  Whereas if you come in on ILR, you just have to pay for the one visa. 

After you obtain ILR, you must live in the UK for 11 months before applying for naturalisation. 

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 07:26:49 PM »
So I was wondering if we did move in April or May and I get a spousal visa and enter the UK then after we are married 4yrs apply for LTR from UK or would it be better or easier to wait till July and file then for LTR from the US?

If you wanted to receive ILE, you would wait until you had been married 4 years to apply. 

The 4 year concession is for couples who have been married 4+ years abroad, and it is issued only by consulates abroad - it cannot be issued from within the UK (except for unmarried partners).  If you enter on the standard 2 year spousal probationary visa, and your marriage reaches its 4th anniversay while you are on that visa, there is no avenue to switch to ILR without first completing the 2 year probationary period.  The rationale behind that is you need to be married for 4+ years abroad in order to receive ILE, and to complete a portion of that 4 years whilst in the UK would be abusive.  So they won't allow it (again, the exception is for unmarried partners).

Some couples opt to wait it out, others don't.  As ep pointed out, there's a cost that needs to be factored in to whatever  strategy you pick.

• happy in England
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:14:30 PM »
Ok so it seems it will be best to wait till we are married 4yrs so I guess july it is. It just seems so far away and of course airfare is at its highest in july. :-\\\\  My husband is going to come home in dec for xmas and stay for 2 mos. and then go back. We are at the point of an approved I-130 for him but his interview will be so far away about 9mos so I think we will give up on that. we dont want to here anyway.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 02:22:25 PM »
can you tell me what ( ILR) mean's ?

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 02:25:57 PM »
can you tell me what ( ILR) mean's ?

Indefinite Leave to Remain

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 03:59:32 PM »
Welcome flower6 - Whitby is our favorite place too!  :)

Good luck!

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 04:01:49 PM »
Ok so it seems it will be best to wait till we are married 4yrs so I guess july it is. It just seems so far away and of course airfare is at its highest in july. :-\\\\  My husband is going to come home in dec for xmas and stay for 2 mos. and then go back. We are at the point of an approved I-130 for him but his interview will be so far away about 9mos so I think we will give up on that. we dont want to here anyway.

Might be worth comparing the cost of airfare in July v. the cost of two visas.  I'm not sure what they cost anymore, as back when I got ILR it was £155 by post, but I think it's increased.

• happy in England
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 07:48:37 AM »
yeah its $400 and something now, but me and my husband talked about today and I think we decided to wait till July when we've been married 4yrs so I can have ILR when I enter the country. That way I have no restrictions and its all said and done. No 2yr wait. Its further away then we like but in the long run it seems the best choice. We've been back and forth across the pond so many times in hast now I've lost count. We just want to settle and be done with it and enjoy each other and life, and do it right this time and hopefully the last time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab