Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Complete list of shortage professions?  (Read 546 times)

• Liked: 0
Complete list of shortage professions?
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:30:15 PM »
Hello, all...

My husband and I are both US citizens looking for a way to move to the UK, specifically Scotland.  Our best bet seems to be having one or both of us train for a shortage profession, and I was wondering if anyone has a complete list of all current shortage professions in the UK (specifically Scotland, but I'm not sure if that matters).  So far what I have found from various websites are the following:

Audiologists
Dentists (not dental hygienists, but dentists)
Nurses (including certified nurse midwives, anesthetists, and nurse practitioners)
Physicians
Radiographers
Secondary level teachers (mainly maths/science and a few other areas as well such as modern languages, design & technology, ICT, English, music and RE)
Social workers
Speech and language therapists
Swimming instructors
Ultrasonographers (and other forms of nuclear medicine)
X-ray technicians

If anyone has any others to add or remove from this list, though, I would be very grateful for your advice!

Also, how much of a "sure thing" would it be to get a visa if one or both of us were trained in one of these professions?  Are some more in demand than others?  I assume if both of us were trained in one of these professions it would be better than if just one were?  If only one were trained, would it be a problem for the spouse to come along?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, we love this site and really appreciate everyone's help.  :)

Re: Complete list of shortage professions?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 07:33:05 PM »
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/work_permits/applying_for_a_work/business_and_commercial.html

try this link directly from the home office website. you can find lots of info there in general and specifically related to shortage occupations. it is quite lengthy.

experience and education usually go hand in hand in determining whether a person is qualified. Nothing is ever "sure" but, yes there are some professions that are easier to crack into.

For example there are quite a few social workers on this board, myself included,  who have a relatively "easy" time navigating the system and securing work permits. Of course this is the type of job you'd have to have the passion for not just to get a work permit.

I'd recommend job exploration if you are still on the fence about a particular profession.

From these boards you will find a few people (both US citizens) who are either in the process of going over with a spouse on their work permit or who have done it.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Good luck to you both.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:50:38 PM »
Thank you very much!  I checked out the link and it was very helpful, so I really appreciate it.  I completely agree that we do not want to train for job we would not be passionate about simply to get a work permit, particularly something like social work.  We are just hoping something on the list will speak to at least one of us.  I have a degree in English and have been thinking about teaching anyway, so I was wondering if that would be at all helpful (sounds like it might be, but it might depend on the area and doesn't sound as in-demand as some other professions).

Anyway it is just discouraging trying to figure out how we can ever move over there.  I am always reading UK articles about how big of a problem immigration is, claiming that there are all these unemployed or unskilled workers everywhere, and that the laws are too lenient.  And I think to myself "how can all these people get in, when my husband and I are educated, employed and plan to contribute to society, but will possibly never find a way to do it"?  Oh well, it is just frustrating, sorry to be negative.  :-\\\\

We will keep trying.  Maybe we will start earning twice as much as we do now, and qualify for the HSMP.  :P  Anyway, thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate it!  We will keep on keeping on and see what happens...  ;)

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:04:19 PM »
oh yeah definitely try going the HSMP route if you can. actually I never got the impression that teaching was not in demand. look into it you may be surprised! I met someone I worked with this summer who was going to apply next year as a teacher.

as for immigration laws... it is a bit of a different story allowing immigrants from "developing" (this is a word I use lightly as many countries are well developed) countries  ie, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe than a "first world" country like the US. Also issues related to asylum seekers from war torn countries etc. It is only fair to give to those who have it rougher in their homelands.

Great to see you are planning ahead. You and your husband will do just fine.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab