Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US tax name change question  (Read 774 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
US tax name change question
« on: October 25, 2005, 08:10:24 PM »
I was planning to change my name to my married name after I got my NIN card. Now that I've got it, I'm starting to feel that I don't want to send my important documents off to the US Embassy to change my SS number, which I need to do in order to change my IRS records. I was thinking of just changing my name in the UK only, but then the name the IRS had wouldn't match the name on my payslips/records from my job in the UK.

I know that I have to report how much money I earned in the UK, but do I also have to attach proof of income, like a P45? If so, does that mean the name on the P45 has to match the name the IRS knows me by (the name on my SS card.)

There is a section on the IRS website about checking to make sure that your name on your SS card matches the name on your tax return, so I know that those have to match.

• Liked: 8
Re: US tax name change question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:19:38 PM »
If I remember correctly, you don't have to attach proof of income to your tax returns (or at least I didn't last year!).  I didn't want to send my stuff in, either, so I just waited until our next US visit and applied for the SSN name change in person.

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 09:10:40 AM »
Your name has to match SS.  That's it.  You can call yourself anything you like, but on your tax return you will forever remain Maiden Name until you do something about it with SS.  The fact that your name at the bank, job, post office, etc. is Married Name does not change this and somehow does not manage to cause confusion for the IRS.

You don't have to attach your P60, P45, or P11d to the US return.  You only need to attach forms which show any US tax withheld.

Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »
I was foolish enough to file under my married name although I had not changed my social security number since I still use my previous name in the US for various reasons. The IRS mailed me a form in early October to fill out stating why I used a name that didn't match my SSN and to send proof for that change. I only had to attach a copy of my marriage certificate, and I'm still waiting to hear back from that. I think it's been 3 weeks since I mailed that off, and I'd filed in June.

Sponsored Links