Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Small Personal Loan Need Advice Fast  (Read 1288 times)

• Liked: 0
Small Personal Loan Need Advice Fast
« on: October 30, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »
A month ago I phone my Natwest Manager in Wales. He assured me no problem on a small loan for my home.  I live in US and rent my house out in Wales.  I sent all my paperwork, bank statements etc.  Now three days ago he told me no.  With the stupid excuse.  I have since found out Natwest is very bad about lending to people.  My house is owned outright bye me, no bills.  I am leaving the US on l Nov getting into UK on 2 Nov.  I am suppose to be meeting Council representatives on the 8th to give them a cheque for the uplift programme.  The Council in Cardiff is pouring millions in five streets, I am one of them.  I have to pay 25% towards the cost as I do not live in it at present.  Luck them if they live in it, its free.  Well I am desperately seeking advice where can I go.  I am taking my bank statements with me. My land registry, and my aunty has a power of attorney with a uk address.  Needless to say I am closing down my Natwest account and finding another bank.  Some has told me in my situation I need a financial agent.  I am trying Hsbc international on Monday via phone, someone said they help expatriates.  Does any have a concrete suggestions, please.

Re: Small Personal Loan Need Advice Fast
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 03:32:31 PM »
I would think no one over here would have a problem getting a loan,turn on the TV its all you hear,pick up your mail every morning loads of offers.Do you have credit cards?most will send you cheques,you just fill in the amount.I realise that if you're getting here on the 2nd and are meeting the council on the 8th your time is limited but 6 days should be enough.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 04:31:32 PM »
I do not want credit card loans, that is 21% interest.  I want an ethical loan through a building society or mortgage company or financial institute.  I will be causing myself a lot of financial damage with a credit card loan.  I am on social security disability and a military widows pension, don't credit card headaches

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 04:59:11 PM »
21%,wow thats a lot,just checked out MBNA & Capital One as they're the cards I have & they reckon 7.9%,don't know if thats reasonable or not as I've never had a loan.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 08:37:39 PM »
I still cannot get a uk credit card.  I do not have a uk residence.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 09:41:45 PM »
In this high security age I would have thought it difficult for a non-uk resident to open a bank account much less get a loan.

Might your aunty be able to open an account and get the personal loan in her name?  If both of you are willing to do this it might
be the quickest and easiest way to go.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 01:47:04 AM »
My aunty already has her name on my account, he still said no.  She is an old age pensioner and does not have much income.  She has a pension and supplemental social security income.  I got more money than she does.  She Banks at Lloyds.  Do not worry, I used to be a NATO Contracting Officer.  I tried to cover most of the basis.  Bye the way you can open up a uk account is you own your own home, no mortgage on it and have a uk passport to present to them plus land registry form to show you own your house.  My account is at Natwest and the address is in the usa.  I was born in the uk so classifed as a British Subject.  People naturalized are British Citizens, big difference.  I also show them my birth certificate.  I even gave them my National Health Card, what a laugh.

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 02:36:17 AM »
Can you get a loan through your bank in the US?
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
I was born in the uk so classifed as a British Subject

Not according to my passport.

Dave
Ernest Benn

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 03:06:37 PM »
I was born in the uk so classifed as a British Subject.  People naturalized are British Citizens, big difference. 

I'm naturalised, and my passport looks identical to my British-born husband's passport.
Where's this 'big difference'?

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 03:06:53 PM »
I was born in the uk so classifed as a British Subject

Not according to my passport.

Dave

Actually, mine either....my passport looks identical to my British-born mother's passport...  :-\\\\

I've done a wee bit of research on this....the BNA of 1981 really changed the definition of 'British Subject'.  From wikipedia....

"On 1 January 1983, upon the coming into force of the British Nationality Act 1981, every Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies became either a British Citizen, British Dependent Territories Citizen or British Overseas Citizen.

The use of the term "British subject" was discontinued for all persons who fell into these categories, or who had a national citizenship of any other part of the Commonwealth. The category of "British subjects" now includes only those people formerly known as "British subjects without citizenship", and no other. In statutes passed before 1 January 1983, however, references to "British subjects" continue to be read as if they referred to "Commonwealth citizens".

British citizens are not British subjects under the 1981 Act. The only circumstance where a person may be both a British subject and British citizen simultaneously is a case where a British subject connected with Ireland (s. 31 of the 1981 Act) acquires British citizenship by naturalisation or registration. In this case only, British subject status is not lost upon acquiring British citizenship.

The status of British subject cannot now be transmitted by descent, and will become extinct when all existing British subjects are dead."

Doesn't your passport list you as "British Citizen"? ???
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 03:11:48 PM by closet.hippie »
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 06:03:53 AM »
I renewed my passport in Washington D.C. this time, and it states British Subject.  All I can tell you is what the Natwest people told me.  Preference on accounts is given to British subjects.  I gave my birth certificate.  I really did not care as long as he open it for me.  I doing banking bye telephone and have a switch card.  I did not tell lies when I walked in there.  Just dumped it on there desk and asked for a bank account.  All they did was check the electoral roll.  Mind you I was doing probate for my mother and father.  They passed away within four months of one another.  I had to have an account to do all the probate stuff.  I have a Solicitor they phoned him and verified all this.  Then they just opened it for me. 

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 07:31:54 AM »
I renewed my passport in Washington D.C. this time, and it states British Subject.  All I can tell you is what the Natwest people told me.  Preference on accounts is given to British subjects.   

I work for RBS/Nat West... i used to (2 years ago) work in Operations for New Account Sanctioning, so we had all the 'rules' for new account opening cos we were the ones who approved/rejected them... there was never anything in the rules (2 years ago) about 'subject v citizen', and certainly no 'preference' was given.  The Nat West member of staff who told you that was probably making things up as he/she went along. 

Sponsored Links