Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a Mortgage...  (Read 2706 times)

• Liked: 0
Getting a Mortgage...
« on: October 22, 2003, 09:20:40 PM »
Hi there, been a while since ive been here but I need some good dependable advice so ive popped back to try and get some :)

Back in April i found this place very useful in getting things sorted out for my yankee wifes fiance visa, so i got her into the country no problems, we got married in August and have changed our Fiance visa to a spouse visa. The wife can stay in the country for 2 years before she has to apply for further/indefinate leave to remain.

Anyway, we are trying to sort ourselves a mortgage, since living with my mum isnt ideal. The first lender we went with was Nationwide, up until the last minute they were going to give us 94,000 and with a deposit of 5000 we could get a house (which we have offered and been accepted on) for 99,000. However at the last moment they turned around and said we couldnt have the mortage unless we gave them a 15% deposit, since Chrissy was only allowed to stay for sure in the country for 2 years. After phoning the Halifax and St James' Place, and after speaking with a couple of mortgage advisers things arent looking great. It seems a common policy to not lend to people who could potentially be booted out of the country in 2 years, as unlikely as that is.

We have a mortgage adviser on the case, so for now we are waiting to see what he can do for us, but in the meantime i thought I would see if anyone here has experienced the same kind of thing?

Thanks for reading, any replies will be muchly appreciated!

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Re: Getting a Mortgage...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 11:35:34 PM »
Have you tried to get a mortgage based on your income alone as an english citizen...we have gotten a mortgage and its not really going to be based on my income - i am american and have just started working here so i havent even lived here for a year yet...or maybe you could try to find a place that is less expensive?

i know what a headache you can get after talking to mortgage advisers..we have had issues as well...and are going through the process rite now..they havent had a problem with me being american and on further leave to remain...though...best of luck
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 11:52:22 PM »
KingBeast first of all congrats on your marriage and how easy that part was!  I don't know much about getting a mortgage but I understand that it would be nearly impossible for me and my future husband.  We are opting to rent for now as his parents will need live in help in probably 5 years or so.  

But best of luck, I hope you find your way soon.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 12:42:50 PM »
Unfortunately, this is similar to advice I was given by Halifax.  When I was here just on the spouse visa, I went to my bank (Halifax) to discuss what would be needed in order for us to get a mortgage.  The woman I spoke with brought up that since my visa was only good for a year (as it was at the time) that I would have to produce some sort of proof from my employer that they would be willing to sponsor me in the country once my visa expired.  Never mind I would get ILR and be here for the rest of my life.  

I never really thought about it but decided in the circumstances it would be better for us to wait, although I can see where 2 years might not be an ideal option for you.  You may have to go with simply putting your own name on the mortgage and leaving your wife's name off.  

Wish you the best!  Hope it works out!

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone:

Blondshania: Im afraid getting a mortgage with my income alone would cause most lenders to laugh in my face before booting me out of the door! We are really set on the hosue we have been accepted on, its 99,000 and my basic salary is 13,600 with regular overtime boosting it to 17,000. I jsut couldnt get near the 99k mark on my own.

There is a possibility that my employer would sponsor my wife, since i work in a really closely knit company and everyone helps everyone. Though its a bit of a tall order to ask for a 'guarantee' that my wife would stil lbe wokring there in 2005. I dont know, i suppose its certainly something we can try. Hopefully ill hear some news from the mortgage adviser thats helping us out, but the phones been pretty quiet for the last couple of days...

Hey is indefinate leave to remain after your 2 years as a spouse are up?

Cheers

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 10:13:57 PM »
Hey is indefinate leave to remain after your 2 years as a spouse are up?

Yep, it's what she'll apply for when her current Visa (Further leave to remain) expires in 2 years.

And good luck with your situation, wish I had workds to add.  :-/
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Sponsored Links