Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Prescriptions  (Read 651 times)

• Regalriket
  • Liked: 0
Prescriptions
« on: November 12, 2005, 01:04:59 PM »
I'm sure this has been answered before, but if you are on a continuing medication in the States (or Sweden, where I am) were you able to bring your prescription with you and show it to your GP and get a UK prescription for the same medication without too much hassle or waiting too long?  I'm just wondering how many months worth of drugs I should bring with me before I can count on having a UK-issued prescription so I don't have to have a gap in my meds.
If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter what road you take.

Re: Prescriptions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:17:38 AM »
I brought a three-month supply of the med that I was on (the largest supply that my US pharmacy would give me).  I registered with a GP right away and was in to see him the week after we moved in.  Turns out that they don't have the same brand that I'm on in the UK, so he's prescribed a different version of the same medication.  I'm still finishing up the supply that I brought from the US and have a prescription sitting right here for the new med to take to the chemist when I need some more.

• From Houston to Oxon 12/02
    • Lord Celery
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:22:13 AM »
My situation was exactly the same.  I brought 90 days worth of meds over with me when I moved from Houston...and a letter from my US GP stating what meds I was taking and why.  I saw my new UK GP within a month of moving.  The only problem was that one of my US blood pressure meds was a combination drug not available here, so I now take two pills/day rather than one to equal the same thing.

It was much less of a problem than I'd anticipated.

Janet

(lordcelery.blogspot.com)

• Regalriket
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 12:46:34 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I think I will bring a 6-month supply anyway when I come, just because by that time, they will be free anyway (I live in Sweden and you pay a certain amount per year and then the rest is free), so I might as well do that and then it won't be such a hurried thing to get onto somebody's list either.
If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter what road you take.

Sponsored Links