Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Shipping 110 pound St Bernard to UK - A journal.  (Read 1337 times)

• Liked: 0
Shipping 110 pound St Bernard to UK - A journal.
« on: November 29, 2005, 02:25:05 PM »
25th November - 2005

Went to get a chip fitted and rabies vacine. The vet was not familiar with PETS. She fitted a AVID chip then gave the vaccine. I spoke to DEFRA to check this chip was OK, they gave me number of the animal reception center at LHR who said it was fine and they have all kinds of internationall readers. Next step is the blood titre test  which must be at least 30 days after the vaccine.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 08:12:02 PM by geedouble »

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Were shipping 110 pound St Bernard to UK!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 02:27:50 PM »
Aww! Big dogs are cool, even if I am a cat person. Good luck and there is loads of PETS info here to be researched! :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 02:34:17 PM »
Aww thats fantastic! I wish they had the PETS program when I moved to the UK. I had to leave my German Shep. behind because she couldnt ever take the 6 months quarantine  :\\\'(

Good luck with your move!

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 08:05:24 PM »
10 January 2006

Went back to the vet and drew blood, this is to ensure the previous rabies vaccine shot has worked. Vet sent it to an address in Kansas on this form http://www.vet.k-state.edu/depts/rabies/pdf/favnform.pdf with the payment and correctly filled out form with the all important Microchip number on it. Takes up to 4 weeks to get the results back.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 08:09:46 PM by geedouble »

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 08:56:01 PM »
10 January 2006

Went back to the vet and drew blood, this is to ensure the previous rabies vaccine shot has worked. Vet sent it to an address in Kansas on this form http://www.vet.k-state.edu/depts/rabies/pdf/favnform.pdf with the payment and correctly filled out form with the all important Microchip number on it. Takes up to 4 weeks to get the results back.

hi, just went through all of this with my rhodesian ridgeback mix, her six months is done and we leave for the UK end of February!  Wait till you get a quote for flying her over!  I about fell over!  Good luck!!

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:59:53 PM »
hi, just went through all of this with my rhodesian ridgeback mix, her six months is done and we leave for the UK end of February!  Wait till you get a quote for flying her over!  I about fell over!  Good luck!!

Is it expensive to fly a dog over?

Re: Shipping 110 pound St Bernard to UK - A journal.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 09:03:58 PM »
$2000 on BA :o

her weight plus crate weight plus airline fee plus fee to UK

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 09:07:09 PM »

Wow! 

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 09:31:29 PM »
Our Pets cost more than us.. and we only have a chihuahua, Cavalier and a 17 year old cat!.......

Still close to a grand.. mroe than that with all the vet bills added in!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 07:45:30 PM »
25th November - 2005

Went to get a chip fitted and rabies vacine. The vet was not familiar with PETS. She fitted a AVID chip then gave the vaccine. I spoke to DEFRA to check this chip was OK, they gave me number of the animal reception center at LHR who said it was fine and they have all kinds of internationall readers. Next step is the blood titre test  which must be at least 30 days after the vaccine.

just an FYI for others, there is no 30 day waiting between the vaccine and the blood test.  I received this email today from DEFRA:

There is no legal time limit needed between a rabies vaccination and a
blood test therefore, you are not required to wait 30 days.  On the
rabies vaccine manufacturer's data sheet it will advise on the best time
to take the blood test so your vet can use this to calculate the best
time to take the blood sample.

Regards

Claire Heslop
PETS Helpline
DEFRA

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 08:14:06 PM »
The thirty days is what many vets feel is the amount of time the vaccine needs to become "full strength" in the animal. My vet agreed to shave a week and test at three weeks but she wouldn't shave any more than a week off. It's not THAT big a deal....if they don't "pass" the blood test just wait a week then re-draw the blood. It's only money!  After all, at this point, the whole operation is so expensive that a little more money in the pot won't matter.  ;)
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »

$2000!!!  OMG!!  i only paid $1,000 to ship 450lbs. of my personal stuff...no pets tho.  i can't believe that.  that is some serious highway robbery!!  too bad you couldn't have bought him a ticket to sit right next to you...that would have been way cheaper!!  and you would have had a nice pillow!!   :P

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 03:03:09 PM »
I spent $1000 bringing my cat over (not counting vet fees, tests, etc.) and, although he's pretty big, he's still only 1/4 the size of your St. Bernard! It was definitely worth every penny, though, and I'm sure you feel the same way about your St. Bernard. I never would have moved if I hadn't been able to bring my cat with me.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links