Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Words Left Behind  (Read 4964 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Words Left Behind
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 07:33:58 PM »
"So I was walking down the street...yeah? And a car drove past...yeah?"

Ohhh - my 16 year old daughter does the same  :-/
I don't like it - that or how she ends her sentances in a higher pitch question type thing. (can't even begin to explain that one)

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 07:48:06 PM »
Lmao,I got in that habit of saying "yeah" too.It drives my family crazy :o and they like to take the mick ,believe me,hehehehe.

Theres another "taking the mick" ;)

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 09:55:31 PM »
Does anyone find their spelling has changed completely? partially? not at all?

At work, I almost always spell things the UK way but I find that I still spell the US way when writing to friends/family. Different mindset, I suppose.

As for words left behind....I'm one of those who has started to just replace every conflicting word with 'thingie' because I just can't remember which word the person will understand. And hand gestures certainly don't help either.  ::)

• For where trees live, magic thrives...
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2003, 09:41:44 AM »
Posted by elle:
not lost on me you hoser!!!!   I had to download that song and play it for Frank because one day I was singing it and he thought I had lost my mind.  "No no, honey, it's a song!"  lol  Then I had to explain to him what a tooque is (I know that's got to be spelled wrong).  I showed him one when we were out.  He said, "Looks like just a hat to me."  Ei yi yi yi....He liked the song though.

I believe it is spelled "touque", but I've just racked my brains for a day trying to remember how to spell it.... Sad, eh?   :o

I'm right on board with despising the "yeah?" at the end of every sentence.  It's an indication that the speaker is insecure in what he or she is saying, and needs affirmation that their statements are valid and being heard.  The other language tic I hate is the way they ask a question: "That's good, isn't it?" or "I like your top, it's nice, isn't it?"  I hate that, and I just want to answer "No, it really sucks!" even if I do like it.

ARGHHHHH!  Okay, a little rant to start the day.  Cheers all!

Morgana
"Ha HA!" cried she, as she waved her wooden leg.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2003, 11:16:29 AM »
Or how about, "Is that alright?"  I feel as though sometimes I want to say, "No that's not alright" and see what they say or do.

• For where trees live, magic thrives...
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2003, 11:56:45 AM »
Oh gods!  I hate that!!!  My mom does something similar.  You could be telling her something in all seriousness and she will say "You're kidding!"  Every time she says this... and every time I'm stumped as how to reply to it, and I lose track of what I was saying in the first place!   ::)
"Ha HA!" cried she, as she waved her wooden leg.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 12:19:24 PM »
Using "yeah" at the end of a sentence is the English equivalent of Americans saying "you know?"  Neither is more irritating than the other to me, I dislike hearing language peppered with both of them.  Having said that, in my youth I said "you know" myself.. lol!  I'm not sure it's a self esteem problem, but it does become a habit that is hard to break.  

[smiley=lipsrsealed2.gif]

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2003, 06:33:58 PM »
Dang you guys are making me feel self-conscious about using "yeah" :-[
I never thought of it as being insecure,just as affirmation in what the person is saying.I think my hubby uses it to make sure that Im listening when he is rambling on about something,lol
                             Rhia

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 07:41:20 PM »
yeh?   ;D

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 07:42:54 PM »

At work, I almost always spell things the UK way but I find that I still spell the US way when writing to friends/family. Different mindset, I suppose.

As for words left behind....I'm one of those who has started to just replace every conflicting word with 'thingie' because I just can't remember which word the person will understand. And hand gestures certainly don't help either.  ::)

Others may have noticed, but I ALWAYS spell the UK way...always since I have been 13 years old.

That includes the extra U, S-instead-of-Z and everything :)

My computers at home are set to correct British style spelling and grammar so I never have to worry about that American mess.

Surprisingly, Americans seem quite fond of this stylistic choice, I believe in the eyes of some of my professors I become more sophisticated---laugh! ;D

I just consider it good practise for when I actually move there.

cheers,

Samantha***

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 07:49:50 PM »
Do the teenagers use yeah peppered in their sentences the way American kids use like.  If that is the case, I'll be gritting my teeth - ALOT.  I spoke to one of my nieces - she's 21.  Asking her about college.  

Me: How's college?
Her: Like its ok.
Me: What will you do with your life after college?
Her: Like, um be like a cop or like a detective or whatever.
Arrrrrrrghhhh.    
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2003, 09:30:35 PM »
Do the teenagers use yeah peppered in their sentences the way American kids use like.

Yes, yes they do.  They also use 'you know what I mean?' at the end of EVERY sentence.  

*spoken by the mother of two teenagers* ::)

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2003, 10:07:51 PM »

Ohhh - my 16 year old daughter does the same  :-/
I don't like it - that or how she ends her sentances in a higher pitch question type thing. (can't even begin to explain that one)

I know EXACTLY what you mean...
American Q:  "Did you go to the store?"
British Q:  "Did you go to the stoooooreeeeee?"
(When americans ask questions.. they're usually borderline monotone - When brits ask questions, the pitch rises and falls with every other word.. almost like they're whining the question).

My family and friends said that's the one british language characteristic I've picked up most.  That and "byeeeee" (long and high-pitched) instead of "bye" (quick and low-pitched)

I find I still mainly use all American English, but then I'm not actually living there yet.  Just prolonged visits.  The few british terms I use that come naturally now are "cheers", "lift", "letter box", and to "phone" someone instead of call them.

There are probably a few others.. but for the most part I'm still Americanized :)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2003, 11:55:18 AM »

When brits ask questions, the pitch rises and falls with every other word..

I've picked this up as well!  :-/
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2003, 12:24:20 PM »

Yes, my spelling is fully British.  When I first started work in England, most of my writing was 'for public consumption', therefore I couldn't use American spelling.

I still have problems with centre/center, programme/program and metre/meter.  Although I did run across one style guide that had a quirky way of remembering program/programme: You may program a computer but in all other contexts the word is programme.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab