Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Words Left Behind  (Read 4979 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Words Left Behind
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2003, 10:29:32 AM »

My family and friends said that's the one british language characteristic I've picked up most.  That and "byeeeee" (long and high-pitched) instead of "bye" (quick and low-pitched)

I have to admit that I have adopted the byeeeeeeeeeee too ;D

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2003, 09:25:04 PM »
I have to admit that I have adopted the byeeeeeeeeeee too ;D

Well it really does sound so much more pleasant that way. :)  The way Americans say it, it sounds as though they're in a rush to put the phone down.  :P

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2003, 12:04:42 AM »
haha, I agree with the byeeeeeeee thing - though I never really noticed it.  I've picked up the damn question inflection, which annoys me - I only do it when I'm not paying attention.  I know this because my fiance beams and tells me I'm finally learning to speak properly.  GRRRRRRRRRR.   :-/

I've lost sweater (jumper) tomato (tomAHto) and bathroom (loo).  Toilet sounds vulgar, bathroom sounds incorrect.  The ladies room is my compromise, but loo often comes out first.

Other lost bits - mostly for simplicity's sake - Saran wrap, band aid, q tip, etc.  However, I will never, ever call snow peas "mange tout" or call marmite "edible."

• For where trees live, magic thrives...
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2003, 01:12:41 AM »
Power to ya, Vilas!!!  (Hate Marmite....)

As for the byeeeeeeeee... I only use that on Instant messages, never in person.  My interesting theory of the day: the first time I ever saw/heard 'byeeeeee' used was in Blackadder scripts, by Queenie.  To any Brits out there: am I right in thinking that Blackadder started this farewell trend?

Morgana
"Ha HA!" cried she, as she waved her wooden leg.

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2003, 02:28:52 AM »
"Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" was actually the FIRST thing I picked up.  I can't say it the American way now, it just sounds so short/eager.

Agreed with the use of "toilet" ugh.. Anytime anyone says they have to use the toilet, it's an automatic mental image.  Why on earth would you WANT to give someone an *exact* image of what you'll be doing in there?

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2003, 12:25:13 PM »
Y'all have explained so much to me!  My husband ends almost every statement with "know what I mean?"  also... the BYEEEEE thing.  I thought this was only him.  His child does that "yeah" after every statement...
  "I've got this toy, yeah..."  
  "I went to school, yeah..."

Drives me nuts.

Finally, I got laughed out of someone's house because I said, "it's been years since I've driven a stick."

Guess it does sounnd kind of funny when you think about it.

I've only been here for five weeks so I'm still self-correcting my language a lot.  So I say,  "I need zucchin... corgettes"  or "I'll take my cell... MoBILE"  

;D

Kim

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2003, 03:19:36 PM »
I do the byeeeeeee thing on and off the comp.I thought my hubby sounded funny the first time that he did it on the phone ,hehehe ;D I agree the way Americans say it,it does sound a bit rude.

I still have a hard time with the tomato thingy,and how about nowt for no,does anyone else find that a but funny???

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2003, 04:01:30 PM »
Finally, I got laughed out of someone's house because I said, "it's been years since I've driven a stick."

[smiley=laugh.gif]Hahaha.. suppose that could be mistaken to mean something else even in America though.  ;D

Don't think I'd EVER naturally begin to say "toe-mahhh-toe"  I mean, that's just prununciation.. It's the same as living in America and having different regional accents.  There are people here that pronounce it that way, but it doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly start saying it.  They'll know what I'm referring to equally well if I still say "tuh-may-toe" ;)  Same with "pasta", "taco", "lather", and many.. many others. :)  It always amazes me how every word Americans tend to pronounce with "aahhh", Brits say with "a(pple)".. and every words Americans say with "a(pple)", Brits say with "aaahhh"  

Btw... had no idea what "nowt" meant for a good few weeks.  Every time Sean said it, I just nodded and smiled.  

Ooh.. just thought of a word I can't do without now.. "ickle"  It's so descriptive and sounds exactly what it means.  Great word.
:)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2004, 10:04:36 PM »
Oh yeah,
When Im speaking to someone and say I'm about to use the word GARBAGE (because thats what is natural).  About a nano second before it comes out of my mouth I realize I have to use the British equivalent, RUBBISH but I cant remember in a nano second that it is RUBBISH, so what comes out is this stuttering mess which really is a load of GARBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB....er...ISHHHHHHHHHH.

So embarrasing.  I just wanted to know if it was a problem when you change countries because I used to know this British guy in the States that used to talk like that and now I find I'm doing it in this country.  I really wish I had never taken the piss out of him now.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2004, 05:10:49 AM »
What I have discovered is that it doesn't matter so  much, now with so many American TV shows being shown over here. The language, in either British or American, will be understood. And if it's not, then it's a conversation opener. If a deal isn't made of it, it probably won't even be noticed. Relax.

Oh, yeah, and as for you taking the piss?
What goes around, comes around, mate  ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Fanny means WOT?
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2004, 02:49:49 AM »
You know, I'm surprised to not have seen:

queue/line
till/register
crisps/chips (was this there somewhere?)
chips/fries
biscuit/cookie

There are some others, but I thought those would be the quickest to assimilate.

Beth
Met hub online 6 years ago and have been married for 5. Yeah...one of "those" couples. : )

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2004, 06:41:03 AM »
I occassionally find myself saying till because it's quicker and I usually forget the word register.  I say fries if I'm speaking to an American and chips if I'm speaking to a Brit.  Just simplifies things.  They're all pretty much interchangeable really.  

There are some words I don't think I would ever say no matter how long I'd lived there.  Some of them being "bloody".. just doesn't sound right with an American accent.  That and ars*.  A few others..  trolly, lorry, chrimbo (what a horrible word).  I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.  

What's really caught me up is the fact that the letter z is in my last name, so any time I've had to spell it out to a Brit, I stutter saying z before remembering it's "zed."  :)

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2004, 02:38:26 PM »

" so any time I've had to spell it out to a Brit, I stutter saying z before remembering it's "zed."  

Yeah I still find it weird and funny to here G. use it  :o

Another one for me, is when he says a # number and uses like triple 3 not say 333 or double as well.That still throws me,even if it makes more sense saying it that way.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 02:47:02 PM by Rhia66 »

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2004, 04:08:21 PM »
That one gets me too Rhia!  The treble 3.  I'm so not used to it.  Or have you discussed the 7:30 as opposed to half seven?  I've gotten Chris saying 7:30.   [smiley=evilgrin.gif]

It's only a matter of time to get him and the kids saying more Americanisms! Actually in this the are wonderfully helpful.  lol

Ohhh and something I find very cute is the 12 year old Rich, saying things are lovely.  This from a boy!  It's well ... lovely.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 04:09:38 PM by Kizmet122800 »
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2004, 07:01:12 PM »
"That one gets me too Rhia!  The treble 3.  I'm so not used to it.  Or have you discussed the 7:30 as opposed to half seven?  I've gotten Chris saying 7:30. "

Oh I know what you mean there!And yes half seven is said alot too hehehehe.It seems some things they say are "going the long way around to get to the point" if you know what I mean,and others make more sense,wierd...... ;D

"Ohhh and something I find very cute is the 12 year old Rich, saying things are lovely.  This from a boy!  It's well ... lovely."
Yes that is very sweet to hear from a young boy :)

My hubby has picked up some American things too,hehehe.Iam tickled to see how everyone back home will react to him,when we come back in a few months!LOL

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab