Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: CRUNCH TIME - preparing to apply for spousal visa...  (Read 1136 times)

• Liked: 0
CRUNCH TIME - preparing to apply for spousal visa...
« on: December 18, 2005, 09:06:32 PM »
OK, I posted this also on another expat board. Apologies to anyone who saw it there, too... I'm just frantic for help anywhere I can get it!

Well, I'm getting married in the US in February. We're going to honeymoon in Chicago in order to do our visa at the consulate, then fly to UK.

OK... These are the niggling questions that plague me now. I realize that some of them may have been answered elsewhere, before, but I'm starting to feel panicky and confused a bit, so I'd be very grateful if you'd help me. I'm sorry if this is long and involved, but I'm really freaking out.

1. Can we fill out the online application a few days BEFORE the wedding, then set the appointment for after it? We're getting married on Saturday. We're going to pick up the certificate on Monday morning and then go to Chicago. Is it OK to go online to apply a couple of days before the actual wedding?

2. My fiance is self-employed. He owns two retail shops. How can he prove his income? He's currently got a plan to A)show documentation that proves he's a business owner and B) provide a letter from his company secretary that states he has a certain position and draws a certain salary. Unfortunately, this is only a guestimate. David doesn't draw a steady paycheck, just spends what he needs when he needs it. He doesn't really have any savings. He's about to sell one of his businesses for a lot of money, but that's going to be in the works for a while, yet. What do you think would be the best way for him to show that he's financially secure?

3. I am penniless and have no savings, except two retirement funds (401k and Roth IRA with a combined total of $2000, plus a few shares of stock worth about $250).  Will that be a problem?

4. David's parents have offered to be co-sponsors. They have a steady retirement pension and own their home outright. They can provide documentation to show this. Will this be helpful? Does the British consulate have a way of evaluating co-sponsors if they're not happy with David's situation? Do they look at all of this combined, or separately? 

5. I don't really intend to work outside the home, much, but I am very employable, with a good college degree and some decent work experience. I can show my diploma and CV... do you think that would help? Also, I am going to be working at one of the shops, replacing an employee that currently costs £4000 a year. The company secretary has also written a letter offering me a part-time job that will pay £4,000. Do you think that will help, or does the fact that this is David's business make it all look suspicious?

6. I will be bringing my son, as well. David currently lives in a one-bedroom apartment. We're going to move to a 2-bedroom after I get there. He doesn't want to pick a place without my input. In the meantime, David is very worried that a one-bedroom is unacceptable for a family with a child. Does anybody know? David is going to get a letter from his landlord saying that David has the apartment and that it's OK for us three to stay there. Unfortunately, David is so worried that one bedroom will get us rejected, that he wants to lie and say it's a 2-bedroom apartment. True, we'll be moving in a month or two to a bigger place, but... I don't want to lie. What do you all think?

Forgive me for being so needy! I am grateful for all of your help in advance. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Re: CRUNCH TIME - preparing to apply for spousal visa...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 09:55:21 PM »
OK, I posted this also on another expat board. Apologies to anyone who saw it there, too... I'm just frantic for help anywhere I can get it!

That board is mostly populated by mail-order brides from America who share personal experiences and spread internet myths; it has a very *bad* reputation and you would be well advised to be careful with what you read there.

Your other questions:  as you have described them, there's not a whole lot to be concerned about.  I would suggest following through with the co-sponsorship documentation from your hubz parents.

As to your son, you left out his age, which is part of the criteria for determining whether your arrangements are compliant with the Housing Act of 1985.  Also how many rooms not counting kitchen, bathrooms, etc in his flat?

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 04:08:10 AM »
That board is mostly populated by mail-order brides from America who share personal experiences and spread internet myths; it has a very *bad* reputation and you would be well advised to be careful with what you read there.

Your other questions:  as you have described them, there's not a whole lot to be concerned about.  I would suggest following through with the co-sponsorship documentation from your hubz parents.

As to your son, you left out his age, which is part of the criteria for determining whether your arrangements are compliant with the Housing Act of 1985.  Also how many rooms not counting kitchen, bathrooms, etc in his flat?

Well, I am a mail-order bride.

I do take all information with a grain of salt - preferring to go by what people may have experienced, personally.

What other source of information would you suggest - aside from the official immigration sites, that is?

Anyway, my son will be 20 months old. The lease does not mention how many bedrooms the flat has. It has a lounge/living room and a kitchen and bathroom. We will move to a two-bedroom within a month of moving.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 08:15:20 AM »
Anyway, my son will be 20 months old. The lease does not mention how many bedrooms the flat has. It has a lounge/living room and a kitchen and bathroom. We will move to a two-bedroom within a month of moving.

At 20 months, the child counts for 1/2 a person, so a 1 br will work.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 12:26:33 PM »
How do you know this?

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 01:14:40 PM »
How do you know this?

It's in the DSP's   :o

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 01:30:46 PM »
Hi

You may have seen my post on the other board in response to your query.

I didn't realise it had such a bad reputation, but I guess this explains why I often get into arguments with people there!  Anyway, I have posted a link there to the Immigration Advisory Service info on accommodation, which concurs with what Garry and I have said, ie that a one bedroom apartment is fine for you.

Please be aware that Garry and I are registered immigration advisors, and many others who post on these boards are not.  However, if you are in doubt, always ask to see links from reliable sources on such matters.

Good luck.

Victoria

• Me & Hub's in Switzerland...I love it there!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 02:19:14 PM »
I had found the "other" site helpful at times also. Not being thick, but what is a mail-order bride, does that mean internet etc? lol  ::)

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »
Hi

You may have seen my post on the other board in response to your query.

I didn't realise it had such a bad reputation, but I guess this explains why I often get into arguments with people there!  Anyway, I have posted a link there to the Immigration Advisory Service info on accommodation, which concurs with what Garry and I have said, ie that a one bedroom apartment is fine for you.

Please be aware that Garry and I are registered immigration advisors, and many others who post on these boards are not.  However, if you are in doubt, always ask to see links from reliable sources on such matters.

Good luck.

Victoria

Thanks so much, Victoria! Garry sent me a pm explaining his status. You guys have really set my mind at ease. I want to check your answer on the other board, but I don't know the URL just now (I'm at work) I'll try to google it... thank you thank you THANK YOU!

xoxoKaty

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 04:00:43 PM »
I had found the "other" site helpful at times also. Not being thick, but what is a mail-order bride, does that mean internet etc? lol  ::)

Yes, I'm afraid so!

Nothing to be ashamed of!  ;)

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 05:00:58 PM »
I thought a mail order bride generally referred to someone from a less developed country marrying a man in a more developed country, often because she wanted citizenship there and he wanted a wife with more traditional views. 

If someone met another person online and loved them and was going to marry them...I'd call it an online relationship or something.  However if they were marrying for citizenship purposes only...I suppose I'd call them a mail-order bride for lack of a better term.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 06:22:25 PM »
I don't think that ANYONE on that board or this one can be considered a mail order bride, and that was quite rude.
Never hold Farts in. They travel up your spine and to your brain. This is where sh*tty Ideas come from.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 06:29:26 PM »
it was supposed to be a joke, peeps!  tongue in cheek!  haahaa!  nothing personal, etc.  lighten up, folks, this is the UK, after all, where a lot of people actually have a sense of humour and it's seen as a good thing.

ohio got her questions answered, she's happy, she's on her way across to be w/her man, good on 'er. 

welcome aboard, ohiofiancee!  :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 06:32:58 PM by expat_in_scotland »

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 06:44:43 PM »
[smiley=laugh4.gif] Sorry Leah, it didn't read humorous to me, And you KNOW I have a good sense of humor, if not a dark sense of it.

I apologize if it was meant to be funny.
Never hold Farts in. They travel up your spine and to your brain. This is where sh*tty Ideas come from.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 06:47:41 PM »
The topic here is Spousal Visas, not 'the other site'.  Let's keep it that way, please. Please remember that all the information you recieve here is take at your own risk.  It's advisable to do as much research as possible and if in doubt to phone or check with the home office site.  

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab