Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: confused  (Read 677 times)

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
confused
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:35:47 PM »
Taxes have usually given me a haedache in the past - in fact my Mom does them for me (she worked as a Tax Preparer for years and does so on the side now).  But I'm so confused right now!

Here's my situation
January 1 2005 - June 30 2005 I worked in Massachusetts (one full time and one part time job)

July 1 2005 - August 2, 2005 I lived in Massachusetts but did not work

August 2, 2005 - September 2, 2005 - I lived in Florida and did not work.  I exchanged my MA driver licence for a Florida one and registered to vote in Florida.  I changed my address on credit card, bank statements, etc. to my parents address in Florida.

September 3, 2005 - current - am living in the UK on fiancee visa (and thus not working), getting married in February. Have changed addresses to UK.

ok, so I need to file a US Federal return obviously.  On that I'll list my income from Massachusetts as usual.  But since I have no foreign income for 2005 as far as I can tell I will not complete the 2555.  Massachusetts - complete a return, using their Part Year Resident form. Florida - no state income tax so not an issue.

Then when I do my 2006 taxes I'll file a Federal return, Married filing seperately, listing whatever UK income I have in 2006 as other income on my 1040 and completing the 2555 for the foreign earned income exclusion. 

Does this sound right?
Maroon Passport Club!

• Liked: 102
Re: confused
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:29:10 PM »
SlicesMissus

You are 100% correct on your US tax position.

(Your 2006 US return will report worldwide income - not just UK income; plus you may also need to file form TDF90-22.1 by June 30 2006 to report foreign bank accounts).

From a UK tax perspective you are doubtless still domiciled within the USA - although I cannot determine from what you say as to in which State - you may want to plan your UK tax affairs to take advantage of this.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
Re: confused
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 08:18:29 AM »
Glad to know I had it straight in my head.

You say I may also need to file the TDF90-22.1 - how will I determine whether I need to or not?  Alex has already added me to his account at Nationwide so i guess I do have a foreign bank account now.

Ahh ok  according to http://www.offshorepress.com/tdf90221.htm I need to if:

Who Must Use This Form?

This is a brief one page form that is used to disclose the identity of and location of any foreign financial accounts with a balance (for all accounts combined) of more than $10,000 at any time during the prior tax year. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 08:21:56 AM by SlicesMissus »
Maroon Passport Club!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab