Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: European Health Insurance Card  (Read 2037 times)

• The Two Crabs
  • Liked: 0
European Health Insurance Card
« on: January 18, 2006, 12:04:04 PM »
I just got my EHIC card!  I feel so cool now!  Hehe.

Has anyone had the misfortune of having to actually use the EHIC card elsewhere in Europe? If so, what was your experience? I'm going on a ski trip in Italy next month, and hopefully i WONT have to use it. But it's good to be prepared.
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

*Washington, D.C. to London, 22 August 2005.*

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
Re: European Health Insurance Card
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 12:25:07 PM »
sorry can't help you on that one..........The Isle of Man aren't included in using that card!

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »
What is this exactly and what do you have to do to get one? I'm registered with the NHS, of course. I'm US citizen working in the UK--do I qualify for this? Is it honoured everywhere in the EU? --Austin

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 08:16:15 PM »
I think I got one because I filled in a form at the post office for health insurance while traveling in the EU. Can't remember the # of the form -- something like E111?? Anyway, they sent me a European Health Insurance Card after that!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:48:21 PM »

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »
The one that you got is a temporary, if you are not european citizen you are not qualified for that card, simple as that, I know this cause I am dual nationality so I have one because my Mother is from the EU and I have EU passport and ID.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 03:17:53 PM »
swb.300zx... where is your statement documented?

Here is the FAQ link

https://www.ehic.org.uk/InternetPROD/frequentlyAsked.do

Who is entitled to an EHIC?

Any person who is ordinarily resident in the UK, is eligible for an EHIC. However, you must be over 16 years of age in order to apply. Residents of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not eligible.

I applied for a card and it was issued in about a week.  I have a NIN and I pay tax. If it was really a citizenship thing they would have asked for more than your NIN and date of birth. Plus, people really shouldn't be travelling without traveller's insurance!

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 10:23:14 PM »
First of all,  by acting smart, I am not obligated to show you any statement ok? no need to be rude for God´s ake... I was told this in the British embassy once.. that´s all :-[

now if it is like you just mentioned then congratulations and good for you; I´m glad. Like I said I only said this not to act as smart and be like" Oh Look! I got one cause I´m european. bla bla bla..that´s how you make it sound" I was just trying to help out.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »
First of all,  by acting smart, I am not obligated to show you any statement ok? no need to be rude for God´s ake... I was told this in the British embassy once.. that´s all :-[

now if it is like you just mentioned then congratulations and good for you; I´m glad. Like I said I only said this not to act as smart and be like" Oh Look! I got one cause I´m european. bla bla bla..that´s how you make it sound" I was just trying to help out.

what's your problem?  ???

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
First of all, by acting smart, I am not obligated to show you any statement ok? no need to be rude for God´s ake... I was told this in the British embassy once.. that´s all :-[

No need to be rude.  Generally when talking about visas or official stuff, people tend to back it up with a link.  Especially if they are disagreeing with commonly held belief.  

jklm was merely posting a link so that there was no more confusion on the matter.  It was never necessary to be a citizen to have an E111 so I'm not surprised that that is still the case.  

• Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 10:52:08 PM »
The one that you got is a temporary, if you are not european citizen you are not qualified for that card, simple as that, I know this cause I am dual nationality so I have one because my Mother is from the EU and I have EU passport and ID.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not correct - it's not a temporary card, it's just like the ones issued to the actual citizens, and we are eligible for it because we are long-term residents here.  I got them for DH and me since we both travel here and in Europe and we were eligible, so why not get it.  I called them when I applied and asked what documentation they needed, they told me and I sent it in and got the card.  That was it.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 11:00:09 PM »
No need to be rude.  Generally when talking about visas or official stuff, people tend to back it up with a link.  Especially if they are disagreeing with commonly held belief.  

jklm was merely posting a link so that there was no more confusion on the matter.  It was never necessary to be a citizen to have an E111 so I'm not surprised that that is still the case.  

thanks mindy  ;)

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 02:15:57 PM »
Ok like I said my mistake and sorry..I thought itw as like this..the one I have was issued in Spain and it´s called E4. :)

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 02:18:12 PM »
I got one too, didn't even know about it till Rich handed it to me.

• The Two Crabs
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 01:24:45 PM »
Just to clarify: you do NOT need to be a citizen of an EU country to have the EHIC card. You only need be a resident.

That said: I had the misfortune of having to use my card last week and it was worthless in my situation. I broke my collarbone during a ski holiday in Italy last Wednesday. I had to go to a private doctor, who would NOT accept the EHIC card. I had to pay him out-of-pocket (230 Euros including emergency room visit, xrays and drugs).  When I returned to London, I tried to get reimbursed through the EHIC but was told I needed to have picked up certain Italian reimbursement documents that could only be obtained IN PERSON from the local health office in Italy.   And even if I had the documents, I was told I would only get back 50%. (The EHIC card gives you free or reduced health care. Obviously in Italy, it's only reduced care).

So: I have now submitted my paperwork to my travel insurance company, Insure And Go.  Stay tuned!
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

*Washington, D.C. to London, 22 August 2005.*

Sponsored Links