Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.  (Read 43393 times)

• Liked: 8
Re: What is this attraction with Brits and Americans ? A few questions.
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2006, 11:00:58 AM »
Same here. My fiance is very clear-spoken, for a Glaswegian. But one of his friends was nearly incomprehensible to me in the beginning! It was so embarassing to always ask his friend to repeat himself constantly when I first met him. I felt like an idiot.

I'm still that way with one of DH's friends.  When he calls, it's like he's calling from Korea or something as there's such a delay.  He says something.  I spend 15 seconds trying to figure out what he said, by which time he's said something else.  I respond to the first thing he says, then spend 15 seconds trying to figure out the second thing.  I'm sure he thinks I'm slow.   ::)

It's fine in person....I guess because I kind of read his lips....it's hopeless on the phone, though! 

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2006, 10:15:01 PM »
Whether they admit it or not, I think most Brits like the American accent, and are proud when their spouse or significant other speaks it.

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2006, 08:48:57 AM »
Whether they admit it or not, I think most Brits like the American accent, and are proud when their spouse or significant other speaks it.

Why do you think that? (just wondering...)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »

LOL -- for my husband, it's a source of endless amusement.  The people I worked with said I talked like no one they ever heard before -- some kind of weird low Midwestern hillbilly (is that possible?) twang. [smiley=laugh4.gif]
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47:21 PM »

I totally agree with you! My fiance loved it when I was there visiting and opened my mouth around his friends for the first time. He is just as enamored with my accent as I am with his. It's so funny to me- I never thought about me even having an accent. I am from South Florida and I have no real noticeble accent by American standards but he loves to try and imitate me. (Which always comes out sounds incredibly Southern) LOL
"The only way to rid a temptation is to yield to it." Oscar Wilde

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »
Same here!  Several members here have met my husband, and I think all concur he has a very, very broad East Coast Scots accent.  I couldn't understand him often when I first got here.  Once I got off the bus at the wrong stop, and he wound up having to come get me b/c I couldn't understand his directions!

North East as in Aberdonian or even further up as in Peterheed? Now they are hard to understand. Dundee aint too bad, father and grandfather came from Leith, granny came from Glasgow. I still find it funny that they had to put subtitles on Tootie Fruity down south...

It took my kids till they went to school to realise that I talk funny and that was becuz their mates had said something wow your dad is an american...

as far as my ex's accent, I never thought she had an accent until I was working abroad and we hadn't spoke for a couple of weeks and when I called her, it was BAM wow you do have a scot's accent...LOL
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• Conservative for the moral good of mankind
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2006, 12:18:58 PM »
I don't think its about the accent at all.  When I met my husband I initially realized he had one but after a while it just became "his" voice.  It no longer stood out to me.  I think it's the same way you accept anyone's tone or the way they say things.  I still give him a hard time about the pronounciation of words but I like to joke around with him.  When I met him  he was the most kind, caring, friendly,gentlemanly, compassionate, man I had met and that is what I fell in love with (and still is!). It wasn't his nationality, his accent, or  anything about being British.  It was just him as a person.  All my friends and family back home think he has a fantastic accent but I really can't hear it anymore.  As I said, it's just part of who he is! 
"Be completely humble and patient, bearing with one another in love"  Ephesians 4:2

"All that is necessary for evil to win the world is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

• Liked: 12
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2006, 10:18:57 PM »
If it's all about his sexy accent, you might want to question if you're with the guy for all the right reasons! Seriously... if you're really in love, you don't even notice an accent anymore and you would still love him just as much even if he lived nextdoor to you in the US. Just a thought.  ;)
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Kat
  • I don't have to like Bush to love my country

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2006, 01:47:48 AM »

I agree.  GF has always said that she loves my accent.  I've had other British friends say that they like my accent as well.  I have a light mid-western accent and most Brits I meet are just very intrigued by it.  Personally, I've always hated my accent, but if it pleases the masses what can I do?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird

• married to my hawaiian babe
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2006, 07:33:19 PM »
It's true that you can't help who you fall in love with but there was a slight attraction to hubby's nationality..I loved the fact that he was a real american MAN!!!   the brit guys I'd previously dated seemed like boys, looking the same, dressing the same, playing mind games etc..I find American guys to be real men, you know where you stand, they say what they think, they dress in their OWN style, they don't stress over trying to fit in to be like every other person... and that accent just sounds so sexy..I want a man, not a mouse and I certainly found that in hubby.
Off to Ohio

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching''

• I miss you so much. My heart is forever broken.
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2006, 03:19:29 PM »
It's true that you can't help who you fall in love with but there was a slight attraction to hubby's nationality..I loved the fact that he was a real american MAN!!!   the brit guys I'd previously dated seemed like boys, looking the same, dressing the same, playing mind games etc..I find American guys to be real men, you know where you stand, they say what they think, they dress in their OWN style, they don't stress over trying to fit in to be like every other person... and that accent just sounds so sexy..I want a man, not a mouse and I certainly found that in hubby.

I'd have to disagree...i don't think having their own style, being streight forward and being "real men" have anything to do with being American. You can find a British man or any other man who does the same...it has nothing to do with them being American...atleast in my opinion. I know plenty of American guys who drag their girls around and play games, dress in what's trendy and are worried about fitting in...so it has nothing to do with that.

I'd assume your hubby is hawaiian? They are very macho...as a whole. That might be why you've found those qualities in him and others on the island. I know the men in my family on my mom's side are very much so like that...as they are hawaiian but that's just because that's how they were raised.

sorry lol ill shoosh im not tryin to start a comment war

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

• married to my hawaiian babe
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 09:03:46 PM »
I'd have to disagree...i don't think having their own style, being streight forward and being "real men" have anything to do with being American. You can find a British man or any other man who does the same...it has nothing to do with them being American...atleast in my opinion. I know plenty of American guys who drag their girls around and play games, dress in what's trendy and are worried about fitting in...so it has nothing to do with that.

In my experience, that's what I found, compared to all the other many brit guys i'd previously dated..I'm not generalising but that was my comparison at the time I met hubby..maybe being surrounded by him and all his army friends led me to think that..I know I shouldn't assume.
Off to Ohio

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching''

• ~Are We There Yet?~
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2006, 02:22:51 PM »
I can't say I ever actively "looked" for an Amercian. In fact, when I started seeing my partner, most of my friends couldn't believe it - not because of the distance, but simply because I was more than known for my nieve British "American's are all stupid" attitude. Of course I now know better and I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the world, but at the same time, I love him for him, for the way he makes me feel, the things he does for me and also the person that I am when I'm around him - he makes me a better person.

As for all the talks of accents, yeah I have a soft spot for his, I think mainly because it's so distinct. When you're surrounded by British accents all day, and then pick up the phone to a lovely, softly spoken South Foridian / Georgian accent, it's something special - but at the same time, I always know it's him that I'm talking to... It's comforting.

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 03:46:10 AM »
Dave's personality drew me in as he was a very considerate, intelligent, and funny guy. We actually were friends for a good time before getting together, but the fascination with each other's cultures certainly did make getting to know each other that much more exciting! I still enjoy sharing our different experiences, and ways of life. It's cute when I say something and he is completely lost, hehe

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2006, 02:02:33 AM »
I just noticed this so thought I'd chip in.

Brit husband and I have been married ten years, so it's fun to think back to what attracted us to each other when we first met.  He was living in Chicago on a job transfer and we were introduced by one of my co-workers.

Yes, it takes much more than an attractive accent to survive ten years!  Now, I don't even notice a British accent on Tony or any other Brit -it just sounds regular to me.  Crickey, he's so soft spoken, when we first dated, I couldn't even understand and hear him on the phone!  I just said "Yeah, yeah, yeah" so I didn't have to keep saying, "What?  Speak up!"  LOL

The qualities I found in Tony had nothing to do with his nationality.  I found him intelligent, witty, kind, very comfortable in his own shoes and he didn't walk around trying to prove he's "macho".  He enjoyed good food, good wine and loved to travel.  We could equally enjoy going out to a musical as staying in with a bottle of wine playing darts...  He's also very mechanical/practical, very career driven, financially responsible and grounded.

Of course, after being together for twelve years, ten married and eight in England, and two children, we've had serious ups and downs.  Things emerged that you just can't forsee in an international marriage (read the forums) and then some. BUT, we have survived some extremely difficult times-things that I never would have imagined...  and we're stronger now than ever.  He's been my unwavering rock. 

I wish you could see the smile on my face as I look over at him now, sitting in the chair watching the Notre Dame vs. Michigan State game.   ;)

I fell in love with him then for who he was, and love and respect him now for the same reasons and more.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 04:46:46 AM by Kellie8yearsinUK »
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab