Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dentist vs. Hygienist?  (Read 1251 times)

• Liked: 1
Dentist vs. Hygienist?
« on: January 25, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »
I just made my first appointment to go see a dentist in the UK.  I am going to a place a friend goes to and her teeth are nice and she's a cleanliness maniac.. so...I figure that's a good start.  They are also a larger practice with all the "newest technology" according to their advert...

The prices are actually really good compared to the US as well.  I am used to paying $100 for a check-up/cleaning and here it's £32.50 for both.

BUT

The only thing I am a bit confused about is this.  I cleaning/tatar removal and all that fun is £19.99 for a dentist and £29.99 for the hygeinist? So why is it more and whose higher up on the scale?  Or is it just the time involved if you have a lot of build up?

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 2
Re: Dentist vs. Hygienist?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 01:02:39 PM »
I bet the dentist is NHS and the hygienist is private. I got caught out like that once.  But to answer your question, the dentist is "higher up."

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 01:06:40 PM »
thought so....

from what the lady said the dentist will do it if there is not too much build up as well...

I gave up on NHS.... we'd have to go to Cornwall...

So not worth it... we'd spend the money in petrol!

I'll just fork out the money!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:15:52 PM »
thought so....

from what the lady said the dentist will do it if there is not too much build up as well...

And even then, you'll have to have massive amounts of buildup. My NHS dentist wouldn't do my teeth. He said they didn't need it but they bloody well do! I'd pay good money to go to someone who would actually clean my teeth to a sparkle.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 01:24:02 PM »
These people will clean my teeth... especially if they want my money...

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:29:17 PM »
Yes, a Hygienist is private. I have my teeth 'scaled and polished' every three months and I only get charged £9.00. But its just an appt with my dentist. I can see the hygienist for I believe £30.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 03:42:26 PM »
wow.  sooooo different from dentistry in the states....

• Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
I went to a  Hygienist paid around £30 for a full cleaning, she did a pretty good job.  My Dentist who is NHS, does not "clean" the teeth, I had to go to his Hygienist.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab