Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Lawyer question....  (Read 1051 times)

• Liked: 0
Lawyer question....
« on: February 01, 2006, 05:41:39 PM »
Just wanted the experts to look this over.  I don't know if there are "legal scams" there and I just wanted some feedback.  Here is the letter I got today with a lawyer in the UK:

"Dear Jessica

You are entitled to British Citizenship under the British Overseas Territorial Citizenship regulation. I am happy to assist you in motivating the application to the authorities. There is no application form for this type of case. It will be handled by letter stating relevant law and dates of the law. I will be able to draft this out for you.

The cost of this work will cost you £ 300 (UK Sterling) and this can be started as soon as possible. Once you agree i will send you a client care letter and also I woud like to inform you that I am regualted by The OISC (Office of Immigration Services Commissioner). They can be found on www.oisc.gov.uk  My Registration number is F200500033. Monies will be kept in a client account that is audited regularly by the OISC until completion of works.

Once this has been done Payment of the £300 pounds sterling will have to be forwarded to me Via bank transfer or Western union whatever you choose. You may pay half now and half once the letter is complete.

If you are in agreement with the above arrangements kindly confirm via email.

Kind Regards

Shiraz Peer

Director  "

Re: Lawyer question....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »
It looks fine. 

Can't comment on the fee or technical issues one way or another cuz I don't take on BOC casework myself, but otherwise, sure, why not?

I want to add that the OISC audits whether the work is done or not....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:36:58 PM by garry »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 07:03:25 PM »
Sounds legit as an immigation consultant but I doubt he is a member of the Law Society.  It is not usual for law firms to have a "director" - are you sure he is a lawyer? You can check on the Law Society's website if you want to be sure.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 11:29:29 AM »
He has the same status as Garry and I...he is not a solicitor, but is an Immigration Consultant as registered and regulated by the OISC.  This is perfectly legitimate, and he wouldn't be regulated by The Law Society.

Victoria

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 12:17:20 PM »
Good luck with your application, Pruby!

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 08:42:25 AM »
He has the same status as Garry and I...he is not a solicitor, but is an Immigration Consultant as registered and regulated by the OISC.  This is perfectly legitimate, and he wouldn't be regulated by The Law Society.

Victoria

Thanks Victoria. I wasn't suggesting he wasn't legitimate but Pruby seemed under the impression he was a lawyer. Call me pedantic!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 11:13:13 AM »
It happens. I spend half my time trying to explain to people how I can do what I do without being a solicitor...

Victoria

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 11:35:53 AM »
Maybe the confusion is because here in the US, 'experts' in immigration qualified to give advice are in fact, lawyers...
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 12:00:02 PM »
That and the fact that some people who do that kind of work here are immigration consultants and some are solicitors.  The important thing is to find someone who knows what they're on about and who isn't going to rip you off.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 12:27:07 PM »
The important thing is to find someone who knows what they're on about and who isn't going to rip you off.

And also not to let things go until the last minute. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab