Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving to the UK: work permit/visa guidance requested  (Read 609 times)

• Liked: 0
Moving to the UK: work permit/visa guidance requested
« on: February 02, 2006, 06:34:24 AM »
I'm working for a US software company based in California that has a small office in the UK. I'm wanting to move to the UK to live with my girlfriend (an employee in the UK office). The company has the need and is willing to create a position for me in the UK. Ideally I'll be going over for a month (perhaps April), then back in the States for 4+ weeks, then moving over to the UK (early June). The nature of the work I'll be doing will be providing software training for clients in the UK and Europe, help desk support, and coordinating translation efforts between distributors and the California R&D team. I have 15 years experience training and consulting; 2+ years with this company.

My company has asked me to determine everything necessary for the initial trip and the move regarding visas, a work permit, etc. I've been doing a lot of research on the internet and have found a wealth of information--but it's still a bit of a jumble, and some of it is contradictory.

I believe I won't need a visa or work permit for the first trip because it will only be for a month. (or because of the nature of the work, performing services for clients in the UK--would a permit be necessary even for this?)

For the move around June, I believe I will need a work permit (Business & Commercial) and because I'll be staying more than 6 months also a visa. My girlfriend in the UK office can coordinate the efforts for obtaining the work permit--she just needs to know what's necessary. After the work permit is obtained I can get a visa from the LA consulate.

My hope is that some of you folks here might be able to give me suggestions regarding the do's and don'ts for my situation, what should I or shouldn't I do regarding the whole permit and visa process.

For instance, if documentation for a work permit is submitted prior to my first (month long) trip, might I get stopped at entry to the UK out of concern that I was coming over to stay? Would the Immigration Officials know that a work permit had been applied for?

Should I obtain a visa for my first visit?

Is the obtaining of a work permit a challenging process? Should we seek a service to assist us in this? If so, any suggestions who we might contact?

Thanks for any/all comments,

Mike Matheson

Re: Moving to the UK: work permit/visa guidance requested
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 09:57:18 AM »
Based upon what you've described, it sounds like a T1 Intercompany.  And if that's true, your gf can probably do most of the leg work and chasing for you for the WP.  If she hasn't done one before, then she may want to use a service to brief her on the process and to check when she gets ready to file the application.  Victoria's shop is a good place to start, but there's tons of firms out there ready to assist on a T1 intercompany because it's a cash cow. 

Either way your gf would be advised to learn the ropes because it's a very useful skill.

Regarding your trip in April, you're a business visitor doing project work for a month or so and that's that.  They have been checking hotel reservations again since the beginning of the year so it's a good idea to have something to show.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:13:38 AM »

I believe I won't need a visa or work permit for the first trip because it will only be for a month. (or because of the nature of the work, performing services for clients in the UK--would a permit be necessary even for this?)

For instance, if documentation for a work permit is submitted prior to my first (month long) trip, might I get stopped at entry to the UK out of concern that I was coming over to stay? Would the Immigration Officials know that a work permit had been applied for?

Should I obtain a visa for my first visit?

You are correct,on your first visit you will not need a work permit. Also the Immigration Officials will have no way of knowing that you have applied for anything unless you tell them. Thats all I can answer,there are others here that could answer the rest of your concerns. Goodluck!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 11:51:45 AM »
I agree with the others, although I would say that to make the work permit application when you are in the UK or before your first trip would be unecessarily complicating matters.  Work Permits are taking about a week to 10 days to be approved, so while you can collect all the documents in advance there is no need to make the application until you get back to the US.

If you would like any further assistance, please e-mail or PM me.

Victoria

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab