Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Setting up Telephone Upon Arrival  (Read 1718 times)

• Liked: 0
Setting up Telephone Upon Arrival
« on: August 26, 2002, 06:03:11 PM »
Hi!  I have a quick question about phone services.

I will want to set up phone services asap when I arrive.  Do I have to set up services with BT or Mercury(?) at first and then call up Planet Talk (mentioned on this site as being a good international phone service) for long distance or can I just set up basic service through them as well?  I've read stuff about it, but I'm still confused.  

Does anyone know off hand?  I'd appreciate any advice!  Unfortunately, I won't have a computer/internet  hooked up for a while when I arrive, so I want to find out all this stuff beforehand.

Thanks!!!!!!!!! :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2002, 06:04:52 PM by Caroline »
Plus ca change . . . plus c'est la meme chose.

• having one of those days...
Re: Setting up Telephone Upon Arrival
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 10:36:51 PM »
hi caroline,

when we moved our letting agent told us that BT was already connected to the house, so my husband called them from his mobile to set it up and give details, and we had our phone service in 4 hours.

i think you can phone planet talk to set up details before you leave if you can use a credit card since you can use it from any phone.  i know lots of phone cards have payphone surcharges, so be sure to check that.

if you need more info you can check out www.bt.com.  we use the online billing and it works great for us.

good luck with the move!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
--Douglas Adams

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2002, 01:39:21 AM »
I didn't realize Planet Talk was a phonecard!  I am going to go on the site again and read more carefully.  Hopefully I can set up before I go!

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!! ;D

Plus ca change . . . plus c'est la meme chose.

• I hate Mondays too!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 03:18:00 PM »
I didn't realize Planet Talk was a phonecard!  

It isn't.  You can use it two ways.  You get a shortcode for your registered home phone (normally 5 digits) and you get a free phone number that you dial from anywhere in the UK and just punch your account number and pin in.  Easy!
Dial 0800-HELP-SPOUSE when in need (members only)!

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 03:52:37 PM »
By the way...phone numbers come with houses.  They don't change the number just because someone new moves in.  

So you can expect lots of wrong numbers for the first six months or so!   ::)

• Don't let your life pass you by!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 04:52:09 PM »
Hi Caroline,
Just to give you a few more thoughts about phone connection.  First, you can get a new phone # from BT if you request one.  We didn't want to use the old number and they happily gave us a new one.  Be sure to put both you and your husband on the account.  When I phoned BT, they asked to speak with my husband to verify that I was authorized to make inquiries about our accounts.  (I was annoyed at first, but realized anyone who talks with them must be on the account.)

Do not order any phones from BT. Our office assistant ordered these great executive phones for us, but cost us a fortune.  We sent them back and got a credit. You can buy the same BT phone at a retailer much cheaper!

Hope this helps!
Tammy
BE NICE OR BE GONE!

• I hate Mondays too!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2002, 03:32:17 PM »
By the way...phone numbers come with houses.  They don't change the number just because someone new moves in.  

I am afraid you are misinformed.  You can get a new number if you want.  ;D
Dial 0800-HELP-SPOUSE when in need (members only)!

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2002, 04:01:30 PM »
If you use BT for phone service, do you have to use BT phones?  We are looking at several different cordless models.  I noticed that some are "BT" brand, and there are many other brands as well.  Is it like the States, where you buy a phone, any phone, and plug it into the wall jack?

Thanks,
Stephanie

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 10:00:09 PM »
You can use any phone you want, Stephanie.  Doesnt have to be a BT one.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2002, 10:08:42 AM »
You can use any phone you want, Stephanie.  Doesnt have to be a BT one.

I think I can prove that!
I have a phone that was an antique when it was given to my mother in Germany in 1967. When we moved back to the states, it was then given to me and I used it in my home (only needed an phone adapter). I brought it here with me and it still works (needing a third phone adapter attached to the other two). It's really more a conversation piece. Darn thing is really hard to hear through.  :D
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links