Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm new to this!  (Read 2519 times)

• Liked: 0
I'm new to this!
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:47 PM »
Hello, I posted over in the Welcome Wagon, and got pointed over here to say hi.  Basically, I'm a British (scottish actually) chap living in London, who's gone and found himself falling for a girl who lives 5000 miles away.  She's just spent six weeks here with me, and I was heartbroken to put her on the plane home.  We're crazy about each other, and in the six weeks together, we talked about a lot of things, with a major topic being how we can possibly find a way to live together.  At the moment, we're concentrating on trying to get my girl work in the UK.  She's a journo, and not eligible under Highly Skilled Migrants, so basically, it's a case of her finding work with a paper, magazine or journal in the UK and getting them to sponsor a working visa.  It's a competitive field, and we both know this might take a while.  I just wondered if anyone else is/has been in a similar situation, and if so, what were some of the ways that you coped, how did you accelerate the job-finding process and what are the options in a case like this.  I miss her so badly, and all I can think about is getting her back over here as soon as I can.

Thanks guys

Dave

• Liked: 2
Re: I'm new to this!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 03:13:24 PM »
Hi Dave welcome aboard! no doubt you'll find some useful info over in the visa and job boards for Valerie.  My husband is a journalist also and has used this site for jobhunting: http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/index.shtml

Needless to say the visa issue becomes a lot easier if you are married, but I understand this is early days for you.  When do you think she'll be able to come back for a visit, or you over there?

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 12:08:49 AM »
Unfortunately we've both kind of maxed out our holiday to spend such a long time together, so I think the very earliest I'll see her is September, or 203 days according to the countdown I have in my browser here!  Which sucks royally.  Thanks for the link, I'll send it on to her, if she's not already checked this thread.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 08:53:02 AM »
Oh that is a long time, you have my sympathies! Hope something works out for her job wise before then, you never know.  What kind of publication does she work for in the US? Any chance they might send her to the UK on an assignment?

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 02:45:32 PM »
Unfortunately not, it's a local paper in the Rockies - however, there is talk of a merger so she might be going to something a little more grand - so you never know!  Here's hopin'!

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 04:30:19 PM »
Is she a reporter or editor?  I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think she'd have much luck getting sponsored as a reporter.  She might have more chance if she has editing experience but even then I don't think it would be easy. My husband has a job as a sub editor with a local newspaper group here but he was on a spouse visa so didn't have to cross that bridge.  It might be a good idea for her to post in the visa board about it, there are a couple of experts there who can give her a better idea of whether she is likely to be able to get a work permit in her field.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 08:17:24 PM »
She's a features editor, and she the paper she works for is so small that she pretty much does the whole deal - writes the stories, edits and proofs them, page layout, the whole thing.  So she does have a lot of pretty varied experience.  I'll direct her toward the visa threads, thanks!

D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab