Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another birth control question  (Read 1895 times)

• Liked: 1
Another birth control question
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »
Before i left the US, i made sure that i had 6 months worth of birth control to get me by until i was somewhat settled and had things worked out a bit.

now...in two months time, i will need to get some (for the first time) in the UK.  my question is this:  am i going to have to be examined by a UK dr. since i'm a new patient?  or can i just show them my current pills and they can match me up with a UK version of my US pills without an examination?  basically i'm trying to figure out how this whole process is going to work.  my favorite pasttime isn't taking all my clothes off and putting my feet in the cold stirrups....but i'll do it if necessary. 

i'm also concerned with having a male dr. do the examination (if needed).  don't get me wrong...i've had many a male dr.'s in the US perform examinations on me, but a female nurse has always been in the room at the same time to make sure no funny business happened.   is that required in UK as well? 

• Liked: 0
Re: Another birth control question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:13:12 PM »
I went to a family planning clinic totally expecting an exam since it seems to be mandatory to get a BC prescription in the US. When I realized she didn't seem to be planning on doing one I asked, "Don't have to get an exam?" And she looked at me funny and said, "Why? Do you think you need one?" lol

I don't think you'll have to get one (unless you go to your doctors office and it's different...I don't know).

When I did go in for an exam my doctors office scheduled me for an exam with one of the nurses...not a doctor. I think that's common here. I asked for a female nurse and they gave me one. Just tell them you'd prefer a female and I'm sure they won't have an issue with it. Oh, and when I went in they only did a pap smear.... no pelvic exam which I think is common to get yearly in the US, isn't it? I never went to the gyno in the US because I was too scared so I don't know, lol.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:34:51 PM »
I think the NHS in England and Wales are different in some ways, so I'm not sure if what I'm saying applies to England as well. But, it's a new rule in Wales that if you're examined at all, a nurse has to be present. My GP is a woman, and she still had to have a nurse present when she performed a pelvic exam on me. We both thought it was a little silly and unnecessary, but it's the law here.

Normally when getting b/c pills, or renewing a prescription for b/c, you won't be examined. When I go in, I meet with a practice nurse who takes my blood pressure and asks if I'm having a problems with the pills. That's it.

When I first came here, I just brought the packaging from my US b/c pills and the GP was able to match up by looking through whatever the UK equivalent of the PDR is. Easy peasy.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »
When I first came here, I just brought the packaging from my US b/c pills and the GP was able to match up by looking through whatever the UK equivalent of the PDR is. Easy peasy.

yeah...that's what i'm gonna do.  what i'm on right now seems to be working for me....so hopefully they have something comparable.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 06:44:51 PM »
I went to see the nurse when I registered. my last pap was very recent in the states and she said if i wanted BC i could just chat with the doctor have my blood pressure read and that's it. next pap in three years. she took my word that it was a normal pap.

i was told that research says the types of cervical cancers tend to mutate slower in women who have normal smears... so if you test every three years you are fine.

there are tons of reasons why it is done more in the states though... insurance pay out, std risk, BC issues... i wonder if it will change any.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 05:21:30 PM by jklm725 »

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 08:28:40 PM »
I've had to have my blood pressure checked when getting birth control pills renewed, but that's it.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
Yeah, they always check my blood pressure, weigh me, and ask if I'm having any problems with my pill. Last time I went in she gave me a 6 month supply.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 08:41:46 PM »
Yeah, they always check my blood pressure, weigh me, and ask if I'm having any problems with my pill. Last time I went in she gave me a 6 month supply.

Whew! Thank goodness they don't weigh me!! I'd never go back!!  :P
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• taking over birmingham one by one...
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 09:07:36 PM »

i was told that research says the types of cervical cancers tend to mutate slower in women who have normal smears... so if you test every three months you are fine.

is that months or years?

just read a scary article in "jane" about cervical cancer  :-\\\\
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 09:14:28 PM »
weigh me

damn, they didn't even weigh me when i was pregnant!  :o

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 10:12:19 PM »
I would get copies of my medical records to take with me, this way they can see the last pap information, ect. When we got out of the Navy, I had copies of everything made, you never know. Also, the Navy lost my daughter's medical file so everything up to when she was six months old was gone.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 08:46:58 AM »
i ditto what everyone's said.  i went to the doctor expecting a breast exam, pap, pelvic, the works.  he took my blood pressure and that's it.  he asked when my last smear was, i told him approximately and said that the results were fine.  he took my word on it.  You have to go get a refill of your birth control pill RX every 6 months.  you can see a doctor or a nurse- all they do is take your blood pressure.  and viola!

about two years after living here i got a card in the mail, asking me to get a pap smear as i was due.  i went in- and saw a nurse.  no- pelvic or breast, just open and swap.  there were no striupps either just on the table.

i go once a year to a clinic to get a full STD workup (aids, clyamidia, etc...) i don't know if my normal doctor could/would do this.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »
is that months or years?

just read a scary article in "jane" about cervical cancer  :-\\\\

sorry, that's YEARS!!! the key word is "normal" consistent paps. if unusual then of course you should test regularly. I thought it was unusual too but it just may be some American conditioning/paranoia that makes us think we HAVE to do it yearly. Plus, in my opinion I'd think the ones who test regularly are the ones who are lower risk (ie, identifying it earlier, concerned about STDs etc) for being completely caught unaware they have cervical cancer. Obviously anyone can get cancer, but this new research is saying cervical cancers tend to develop slower than some other cancers so if you are regular you can still treat it in time. Problem is, women often neglect their health.

• taking over birmingham one by one...
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 09:14:50 PM »
Problem is, women often neglect their health.

for the sake of other peoples' :-\\\\
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 12:08:45 AM »
sorry, that's YEARS!!! the key word is "normal" consistent paps. if unusual then of course you should test regularly. I thought it was unusual too but it just may be some American conditioning/paranoia that makes us think we HAVE to do it yearly. Plus, in my opinion I'd think the ones who test regularly are the ones who are lower risk (ie, identifying it earlier, concerned about STDs etc) for being completely caught unaware they have cervical cancer. Obviously anyone can get cancer, but this new research is saying cervical cancers tend to develop slower than some other cancers so if you are regular you can still treat it in time. Problem is, women often neglect their health.

I do think it is very important to have a Pap yearly, especially if you are an older woman.  They also have a new additional test that supposely (I don't that much about it) uses a black light to see more than a pap would.  But, in the States you have to pay for it, as insurance does not yet cover it.
My mother went in, had a pap and the additional test done.  The pap came back normal, the additional test showed cancerous cells.  If she would've waited another year she would've had full blown cancer.   Luckily, she's okay.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab