Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Jet-A-Pet - any experiences?  (Read 1786 times)

• Liked: 0
Jet-A-Pet - any experiences?
« on: February 21, 2006, 08:33:05 PM »
Has anyone ever used Jet-A-Pet pet relocation company?  I called them for a rough estimate for the two cats and the dog and they said it would be around $2000 for flights and transfers, plus approximately $500 at the UK end to get them from the airport to the house.  That seems kind of low, based on the prices I've seen others here pay for tickets.

If not Jet-A-Pet, has anyone used a pet service, or did you all do it yourselves?

Thanks.

Re: Jet-A-Pet - any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:03:40 PM »
im taking my 60 pound dog with me from san francisco to london on monday.  Ive done everything myself.  Ive read loads of others experience here and contacted USDA and emailed DEFRA.  If you do everything in order, its really not that difficult.  Her ticket on British Air, (including the UK fee) is $2000 :o

good luck!

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:35:18 AM »
How much did they tell you the UK fee was? 

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 09:17:14 AM »
That sounds really high if you also have to pay vet fees, etc.. on top of the $2000. I moved a 13 pound cat over here in December. I did it all on my own and total it was $1,062.20. That includes buying an IATA carrier, vet fees for the microchip, rabies shot, blood test, tick and tapeworm,  the USDA fee, AVID registration, flight ticket and the UK fee.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:46:19 PM »
The $2000 was for all 3 animals.  They said flights, transfers, and handling - didn't mention whether it included the UK fee (but it is about 200 pounds per family of animals, right?).  $500 was a rough estimate for ground transport from London to Birmingham.  According to the website they get discounted cargo fees - but it still seems low.  It seems as though most people are paying over $600 to get their pets out of the US on a PETS approved route (i.e. direct flight to the UK). 

The reason that I'm interested in a service is that we need to fly them to NYC (we live in Buffalo NY), then get them transferred to the cargo depot in NYC, and get them from the London airport to where ever we live (looks like Birmingham right now).  If we were just flying from NYC to London I wouldn't be worried at all.  But three crates is a lot for just me to handle at this end - and since neither of us has driven in the UK before (and don't know how to drive standard) I'm worried about renting a van and driving them to our home.  I wonder if we could just contract with a UK domestic pet transport company to pick them up from the airport.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 01:50:52 PM »
When I came over nearly three years ago, I did most of the work re my pet myself. However, back then you were still required to leave the pet in quaranting for a couple of days so that all the paperwork, etc. could be looked over. To coordinate the pick-up from Heathrow, the quarantine, etc, I used these people:

http://www.airpets.co.uk/

They were very good.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 03:14:42 PM »
The $2000 was for all 3 animals. They said flights, transfers, and handling - didn't mention whether it included the UK fee (but it is about 200 pounds per family of animals, right?). $500 was a rough estimate for ground transport from London to Birmingham. According to the website they get discounted cargo fees - but it still seems low. It seems as though most people are paying over $600 to get their pets out of the US on a PETS approved route (i.e. direct flight to the UK).

The reason that I'm interested in a service is that we need to fly them to NYC (we live in Buffalo NY), then get them transferred to the cargo depot in NYC, and get them from the London airport to where ever we live (looks like Birmingham right now). If we were just flying from NYC to London I wouldn't be worried at all. But three crates is a lot for just me to handle at this end - and since neither of us has driven in the UK before (and don't know how to drive standard) I'm worried about renting a van and driving them to our home. I wonder if we could just contract with a UK domestic pet transport company to pick them up from the airport.

My cat's flight from Houston to London was $670. That included the UK clearance fees.  It might be cheaper to fly from London to Birmingham with them. I had to get my cat from London to Aberdeen. If he was forwarded on as cargo it was 450 pounds!! :o If I checked him as additional luggage it was only 15 pounds. Handling wasn't too bad b/c trolleys are free in London and I just put his carrier on that and away we went. I only had to get from the curb to the ticket counter anyway. I had the pet clearance company pick me up at the airport, take me to pick up the cat and drop us both back off at the terminal curbside - that cost an additional 45 pounds but I though it was worth it.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Sponsored Links