Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need to Know ASAP  (Read 6586 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Need to Know ASAP
« on: August 28, 2002, 02:12:48 PM »
Those of you who applied for your visas in the US in person (fiancee or spousal) - did any of you NOT get them the same day?  I need to know the chances of this happening.  Planning on showing up at the NY Consulate first thing Tuesday morning, and would like to be back HOME in ENGLAND by Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.  Am I being reasonable in thinking this is possible?

Thanks!!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 1
Re: Need to Know ASAP
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 02:18:58 PM »
I applied at the LA Office for a fiance visa. It took two days. It should have been one day, but the lady was a bit rude to Tony and I and was very picky about our paperwork. She wanted to see more bank statements and an offical letter from the registers office that we had in fact started planning a wedding. To be safe I would give yourself two full days to take care of it. That is just my opinion though. Goodluck!

• Liked: 25
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 02:25:54 PM »
I think it differs by region, if you could call them and ask, they'd probably try to give an honest answer. You can't take too much evidence with you, so be well documented as much as possible. Best of luck hun.  :-/

• En Vino Veritas
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2002, 02:40:47 PM »
I got mine same day (LA office as well) but I'd follow Leah's advice and call. If I'm not totally out of my mind here NY is now handling a bigger district.

I know you are short on time these days, but let me make a suggestion - Get a binder,get tabs, organize all of your paperwork so it looks like a presentation for a major company.(Proof of relationship one section, living arrangements, another, finances, etc etc etc .. they only had to thumb through my tabs and the woman loved me for it, I believe it's the reason it went so smoothly)
And just when you think you have enough proof in there ...  throw in some more. Overwhelm them with it.
Also you want to be there before they open. I'd say at least 30 mins before they open. They will have a line outside the door, if you are one of the first people in .. you stand a better chance getting same day approval. (I got there 15 mins before they opened ... I was number 20 in line  [smiley=doh.gif] )
Fingers crossed for you and a same day approval Peedal
Red
You're a daisy if you do........

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2002, 02:42:25 PM »
We got it done in one day in NY, but if I remember, it took some mad faxing and a crying baby to accomplish this.  But, they were really nice and bent over backwards trying to get this done before the Thanksgiving weekend and our flight on the Monday.  

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2002, 04:05:58 PM »
Peedal,

Do try to get a letter from the registrar or something saying you're planning on a wedding.  I would worry with the situation you've been through that they might have reason to wonder about the validity of your engagement.  Letters from parents or friends supporting your relationship, etc, can't hurt either.

And like others have said, I'd plan for two day.  Best to play it safe.

Best of luck, sweetie!!  We'll all be thinkin' of ya.  :)

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2002, 04:15:08 PM »
Okay - here's another wrench.  I understand about getting a letter from the Registrar.  However, since we're going to be living in a different county from where we're staying now - we'd have to register there.  And since neither of us is actually there now, we can't register.  So - would you think it would be acceptable that I have with me all the information about the requirements (which we obviously don't fill) so that they are assured of our intentions once we're able to do these things?  I just printed off a list of all the requirements to get married in the UK, along with a list of Civil Ceremony-approved venues in the county we'll be in.  I wrote in the Register Office information - showing I've done my research - and plan on calling the venues to get info from them as well to write in and show further proof of our "intent."  The fact of the matter is, though we do intend to get married, we really haven't any details as we'd prefer to plan it together.  Neither of us is interested in a big splashy expensive wedding, so it wouldn't take much planning.

Also - the fact that I'm applying for visas for me and my two kids - would that affect the time aspect (assuming that I have all documentation they could ever need)?

Thanks for all the feedback!

I do intend to call the Consulate to ask one question that I think is pretty unique to my situation - but I'll put it out here anyway.  Neither of my sons' birth certificates list a father, because in Florida the father has to sign the certificate in order to be named.  Since neither father has shown any interest in either child ever, that obviously didn't happen.  I was able to get their passports this year (after they had changed the laws to require BOTH parents' permission) without any hassle, as my name is the only name on the official certified birth certificates.  Any thought this might be a problem?  It's not like I can get different birth certificates for them at all - fathers still would have to sign and neither is inclined to do so -- they can hardly be forced.  (And I'd much rather they not be anyway.)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  As I said, I am going to call the Consulate on this point specifically - and I'll post whatever answer I get from them.

Again - thanks!!!  Everyone here has made this situation so much easier to bear!

[smiley=hug.gif]  Tonnes of thanks from me and Phil!

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2002, 04:37:11 PM »
Peedal,

I think that 'you have to live in the county you're married in' only applies to England.

My hubby and I got married in Aberdeen Scotland and neither of us lived there, nor have we ever.

I would make contact with a registrar, any registrar, even if it's just to check a ficticious date, aske them to fax something or post something to you that says the date you enquired about is free, blah, blah....at least then it is something!  Also, you can write a letter to the immigration people talking about what sort of wedding you want to have, etc....all you're looking to do here is show 'intent'.....they aren't gonna come looking to make sure you did it all the way you said you were going to.

Just a hint from me, hope it helps a bit!

(I know nothing about the kiddo stuff, sorry but I'm sure you'll get some answers!)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2002, 05:19:27 PM »
Graham and I stood in the queue at the NYC British Consulate when it first opened in the morning. It took about an hour to wait. We then went up to a window and told what it was we were there for. We were then given a number and sat down. About a half hour later we were taken into a room together with someone who asked us questions. (Nothing like "Green Card"; you don't have to know what colour toothbrush Phil has.) For each answer, we provided a document. We were OVER documented! But you never know what they want. For us, they were quite happy to see that Graham had a job (pay stubs!) and he owned a house (mortage papers...rental agreement should do) and that he had money in a bank account (bank statement). They want to make sure you will not be a drain on society and you will be taken care of, and Phil has the means to do so. for a fiance visa, you probably need to show intent to marry (is it too late to get a ring?). An appointment at the Registrar's is a good one; dunno about being a resident, but you ARE a resident there now, make the appt, come back, move, THEN ask "oh gee, we don't live there now, can you still marry us?"

Anyway, to FINALLY get to your question  ;) we were done with them before 11 am. We walked the city until time to go back at 4pm to pick up the done passport. It has a lovely new stamp. I am certain that if you show a plane ticket, they will make SURE you are done by then. They really are people with lives.

You can do this  :)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2002, 06:20:27 PM »
Quick one - called the Consulate and since my name is the only one on the birth certificates, I am considered the sole parent and need nothing else!!!

Great news!!

;D

- Benjamin Franklin

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2002, 08:06:44 PM »
Whoa! Can I borrow your eraser?

;D
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2002, 10:14:00 PM »
Well, to add a bit - the person who (finally) answered the phone at the Consulate also told me that 99% of the people who apply in person in the morning get their applications done and their papers/passports/visas back that day.  They apparently don't do the apply in morning/pick up in afternoon deal anymore.  And, yeah, they are now processing more in NY because the Washington DC consulate is no longer processing Visas. :(

But it looks like it's rather smooth sailing from this point on - bureaucratically speaking at least.  Still the financial aspect which is driving us crazy.

Oh, and the boys don't need to physically apply, but they do have to be present in the US at the time of application.

Keep those positive thoughts coming!!

- Benjamin Franklin

• Don't let your life pass you by!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2002, 10:26:02 PM »
Just to add to the good advice already provided.  I went to the DC consulate in May (arrived here 1 June) when they were still processing visas and it took two days to process and they advised me in advance not to book my plane ticket until 2 weeks out.  Definitely call to see if they can process it the same day.  I was told that they could do this in NY, but not DC, so you may get it the same day provided your documentation is in order. If you are missing ANY documentation you will be delayed.  I would take everything possible.  Pictures, plane ticket for both of your past visits to see each other, phone bills demonstrating calls back and forth, your CV to prove that you can work once married, bank account information in the states showing that you have sufficient funds, any divorce decrees required if either of you were married before (actual copies).

I came over on a Spouse visa and had all necessary documentation as far as housing, employment, money in the bank, letters, etc.  Even once all paperwork was in I was still told that it could take 2 weeks.  

Another suggestion is to have your fiance write a letter of sponsorship for all of you, your intended marriage, date, and that he will be supporting you and your children until then and there after.
Hope this helps!  
BE NICE OR BE GONE!

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2002, 05:37:41 PM »
Those of you who applied for your visas in the US in person (fiancee or spousal) - did any of you NOT get them the same day?  I need to know the chances of this happening.  Planning on showing up at the NY Consulate first thing Tuesday morning, and would like to be back HOME in ENGLAND by Wednesday evening/Thursday morning.  Am I being reasonable in thinking this is possible?

Thanks!!

I got mine the same day.  We showed up at the consular's office in Chicago at 9 AM when they opened and were the first in line.  Was done with the application by 9:25.  The lady told me to come back after 4 to pick up my passport with the visa in it.  And so I did, and there it was, and life was beautiful after that. ;)

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2002, 05:42:39 PM »

Oh, and the boys don't need to physically apply, but they do have to be present in the US at the time of application.

Keep those positive thoughts coming!!

Ah so does this mean we get to take them to Sportsworld with us? ;)

Sponsored Links